Archived Would they put a new TM as GSA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been with Target for months as frontend. Two of my GSTL's recommended me for the GSA position available and really want me to have it.
However, we have a new gs TM whose external and has only been here about three weeks but earlier today she said she was training for GSA???
I trained this TM, who is still very much within her 90 days. Would they really give her a GSA position over an experienced TM whose been recommended? It's bothering me merely because she's very new, I trained her, and she's external. =\\

I've heard of it happening at other stores and a number of times on this board.
Never happened at my store, thank goodness.
I hope it doesn't happen to you.

I've heard of it happening at other stores and a number of times on this board.
Never happened at my store, thank goodness.
I hope it doesn't happen to you.

I really hope not to. I trained her just two weeks ago. She's about three weeks new. I just can't imagine anything more ignorant than putting a new TM in a supervisor position.

I can't imagine why they would do that, unless either she has supervisory experience in previous jobs or she kissed a ton of ass in her interviews.

I just can't imagine anything more ignorant than putting a new TM in a supervisor position.

Like my new-ish GSTL who followed me into Hardlines. D-:

I was under the impression when I first started, you cannot hold a position within your first 90 day probation period. But in my last 2-3 years, I experienced transfers and external hires of getting positions while no internal TMs were interviewed at all.

Heck I trained 3 of my previous FATLs.

They might be talking about it and expanding her leadership capabilities, but I cannot imagine they are actually officially training her.

I've been with Target for months as frontend. Two of my GSTL's recommended me for the GSA position available and really want me to have it.
However, we have a new gs TM whose external and has only been here about three weeks but earlier today she said she was training for GSA???
I trained this TM, who is still very much within her 90 days. Would they really give her a GSA position over an experienced TM whose been recommended? It's bothering me merely because she's very new, I trained her, and she's external. =\\

This happened at my store. We had a GStm who was doing a great job up front and had already been working on some GSA routines. She applied and interviewed for the GSA position, but they hired an external person for GSA.

well if you saw the orientation video target will hire and train whoever is more capable of the job vs time working at target. It could be she has management experience or something close to it and she was hired on as a gstm just to get her in. We have hired several tl's as tm's first to see how they fare and to later upgrade them if they have the potential. Grandma over at the register may have 25 years wit target but that wont make her qualified for STL.

This happened at my store. A new cashier was promoted to GSA 2 weeks after she was hired!

GSA is an intermediate supervisory position... In the absence of a GSTL you're expected to supervise and manage the front end, and assign TMs to tasks and send people on breaks etc., but at the same time you're technically a peer so should not be coaching/etc. but rather "training".

Some stores use GSAs as GSTLs on the cheap (mine), and other stores use them as more of a "super cashier/CO" position.

We had a GSTL get hired as a brand new hire, and was trained by the GSA's that applied for the GSTL's job. Quite interesting to say the least. But the new GSTL does a good job up there, so I'm assuming they had previous manager experience.

We had a GSTL get hired as a brand new hire, and was trained by the GSA's that applied for the GSTL's job. Quite interesting to say the least. But the new GSTL does a good job up there, so I'm assuming they had previous manager experience.

and our new GSTL who happened to come to us the same way looks like a deer in headlights almost a month into it.

GSA is an intermediate supervisory position... In the absence of a GSTL you're expected to supervise and manage the front end, and assign TMs to tasks and send people on breaks etc., but at the same time you're technically a peer so should not be coaching/etc. but rather "training".

Some stores use GSAs as GSTLs on the cheap (mine), and other stores use them as more of a "super cashier/CO" position.

It's not they shouldn't be coaching, they cannot coach. If a cashier tells a GSA that they don't want to do what they ask, the GSA's only recourse is to tell a leader, like the GSTL or ETL-GE. They can't reprimand the TM.

But yeah, they're an intermediate role, quite like perishables assistant. They are asked to delegate tasks, but in the end, they cannot coach team members if they do not perform the tasks correctly. An example...if a PA asks a market TM to do something and they don't do it right, the PA has to go to the CTL, they cannot coach the TM themselves. They can teach the TM how to do it correctly, but only the CTL would be coaching. GSA's and PA's can't do PDDs.

It's not they shouldn't be coaching, they cannot coach. If a cashier tells a GSA that they don't want to do what they ask, the GSA's only recourse is to tell a leader, like the GSTL or ETL-GE. They can't reprimand the TM.

But yeah, they're an intermediate role, quite like perishables assistant. They are asked to delegate tasks, but in the end, they cannot coach team members if they do not perform the tasks correctly. An example...if a PA asks a market TM to do something and they don't do it right, the PA has to go to the CTL, they cannot coach the TM themselves. They can teach the TM how to do it correctly, but only the CTL would be coaching. GSA's and PA's can't do PDDs.

If a cashier doesn't do something right, we can "train" them on how to do it correctly ;) We really don't need to tattle for anything considering coaching isn't really all that necessary except in a few circumstances. If a coaching might be needed, we just do a seek to understand and partner with a leader (rare).

If I ask someone nicely to do something and they say "No", then I just tell them "I'm asking you to do this". Usually gets most people going... I do try and be accomodating when certain people don't like doing certain things (ex: one of our older cashiers has bad knees so I don't have her do zoning since its harder on her), but we do have a few lazies that I have to constantly hound.

If a GSA is doing their job right they shouldn't need to be tattling to the GSTL all the time.

Except when the GSTL doesn't allow the GSA to train and help people, of course... Then it becomes a problem.

I pride myself in being rich in knowledge, both in best practice and actuality. My GSTL doesn't let me give tips/suggestions to people because he thinks that constitutes a "coaching conversation".

Well this is Target, well at least at mine anyways, they're throw anyone in places regardless of seniority or how long someone's been there. They just started making me do GSA things and I've been there for little over a year now. I think in general they look for naturally skilled people who can handle it. I'm just a good problem solver hence why they entrust me to do more things now, and the fact I've been thrown into many areas throughout the store and learning it all in a short amount of time. But mention that to your HR person or GSTL and see if they can do something about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back