Archived Would you go in if you were scheduled for a 3 hour shift?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got randomly scheduled for a 7am-10:30am Pfresh shift. Hell, if I had a decent commute, it'd cost more to get here than I'd make working.

They told me I'd would need to find someone to cover it. I'm thinking of just calling out

It's been a long time since I've gotten a three hour shift...our ETL-HR doesn't believe in them and they have my time set to a minimum of four hours.

I have worked those shifts and would do so if scheduled again, but they seem like such a waste.

It's a waste, and for me they are always a time of day that you can never actually plan to do anything.

Been doing it for about 3 weeks now. All the closing BR-Day shifts are 4-7.

This week I've picked up some shifts after BR, so I'll only be doing 2.75 in the back, since I'll be taking a 15 now.

Last edited:
My commute today, yes I would go in.

My commute beginning this summer, 67 miles, I would do anything possible to either extend or get it covered.

I would go in to keep my average hours up. Most of the tm's at my store, live with in 5 to 10 minutes from the store.

Sure. 10 minute commute for me. Especially a morning shift. Gets me good and awake and in a work mindset to get some stuff done at home when I get off. -feeling Productive :D

But if the commute was close to an hour... I think I'd look for another job. Not worth it as a TM.

I wouldnt do it. Because usually they are during the meat and potatoes of your day. At my store the old HR use to have it that way but now the new one said you will at least be scheduled for a 5 hour shift.

I wish HR made my schedule. I don't think she would give me 3 hours.

I have in the past. At my store generally the only 3 hour shifts tend to be for cashiers, which I think is just mean, considering it's one of the few workcenters where you really can't step offstage for a minute and take a breath (most of the front end being this way) without it being scheduled down to the minute. If a cashier comes to me on a 3 hour shift and asks to take 10 minutes or whatever I'll do my best to let them, rules be damned.

I don't mind shorter shifts but with my commute I'd only do it once then explain (as many times as necessary) that with drive time and gas costs it's not worth it.

I'll take them every once and a while on days I usually have off if they need somebody to cover 239.

Edit: I have a 10 minute drive from my home to work.

Last edited:
I came in for a 2 hour shift on a Wednesday because apparently the LOD wanted whatever help he could get With the zone. Would've stayed longer but he knew I'd go over 40 for the week. It was a fun shift.

Let's note that my commute isn't so bad

I came in for a 2 hour shift on a Wednesday because apparently the LOD wanted whatever help he could get With the zone. Would've stayed longer but he knew I'd go over 40 for the week. It was a fun shift.

Last I checked, if they ask you to come in for less than a 4 hour shift and don't give you 24 hours notice then they must pay you a minimum of 4 hours. This happened to me and you bet I got my 4 hours. :)

Last I checked, if they ask you to come in for less than a 4 hour shift and don't give you 24 hours notice then they must pay you a minimum of 4 hours. This happened to me and you bet I got my 4 hours. :)

To my knowledge you have to get paid for a minimum 3 hours per shift, not 4. It might be different state by state or I could have my facts wrong.

I would've put it up for swap the minute I saw it. I don't live far, but I have to take the worst public transit system in all of the US. I'm often taking a bus that'll get me to work 1-1.5 hours early. And I have to walk almost a mile from the bus stop. Then at the end of the 3 hours, I'd probably have to sit around in the store for 45 minutes because going to the bus stop an hour early makes no sense here. If no one wanted the shift (I don't think anyone would unless they were adding it on), I'd call out.

We never get scheduled for anything under 4, and I haven't had any less than 5 in the past few months, so I don't think I'll ever be in this situation.

To my knowledge you have to get paid for a minimum 3 hours per shift, not 4. It might be different state by state or I could have my facts wrong.

Back when I still had HR access, this is what it said.
They had to schedule you for a 3 hr minimum, but if they asked you to come in they had to pay for a 4 hr minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back