Archived YAY!!! New Card Readers! Yay!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The chip readers on our machines are blocked out and we can't figure out how to fix it. It's a problem when 8/10 guests are from canada and try to insert their chip cards into our fancy new machines.
Yeah ours too!! Why would they install new readers and put a cover over the chip readers?!? Wasn't that the point of installing the new readers??

The software on the registers might not yet support the use of Chip and PIN cards

The Canadian cards will work like old ones, may take a second or have a second security question(last 4 of the card). But they will work. And I 2nd the software does not support the Chip & Pin yet. It probably won't until much closer to the "go" date..

This is one time they should look to the Canadian stores for the basics of getting a Chip & Pin network off the ground. But up there it was much easier, only 5 major banks to deal with, at least last time I checked there was only 5.

Well, I'm not sure what the differences are. When I came in I was assigned an old register. So far, it only looks like there is new electronic stuff under the registers and the register screens are bigger. I won't know more until I go back on Wednesday. By then all the registers will have been replaced and I'll get assigned to a new one.

You don't still have the dinosaur IBM registers, do you? They're the ones with the small black-and-white CRT monitor. The newer NCR registers have a larger LCD screen that can handle color.

Alright, the new registers are not touch screen.
The monitors are HUGE and I feel like I'm sitting too close to the TV! I'll try to adjust my screen on a daily basis.
The cash drawers open up much more quickly.
The change bins with the coins are deeper than the standard ones...I've got to reach down a lot farther to get my change.
The receipts print up incredibly fast.

Our new black card readers seem to be working quite nicely. Just have to get used to the new way guests have to do their "stuff". The card readers don't beep like the Red ones did.

All in all, a pretty good update of the new registers & readers.

After a couple of days, I'll get used to the new registers.

Shockingly for a D-volume p-fresh, we get our new card readers next week! I asked my ETL-GE if we could play baseball with the old ones but she said they get recycled. I asked if they could be recycled after card reader baseball and she gave me a look :(

:D

We. Need. These. Yesterday.

They keep saying September for new ones, but I'd heard that was going to be for registers. Ours aren't going to make it until September....

There's a reason behind this change. The Verifone ones, encrypt the credit card information, so, it can't be snapped up by hackers.

We were supposed to get them yesterday but the vendor fucked up and now they're due next Monday. We'll see...

Honeslty, with the number of these that Target is likely ordering, somewhat surprised they didn't go for the "Target Red" custom edition.

Got ours today. Very surprised we got them so quickly. It's all I've heard about today. Ugh.
I didn't use one today but I was surprised (and annoyed) when guest kept asking "What do I do for credit?" Ummm, read the directions. Doesn't it say Cancel for credit? And, "Do I have to sign?" I ask "Is there a box to sign in?" Guest "Yeah." starts to sign their name. It cracks me up when people sign...it's like their signing their name for a zillion dollars and someone is gonna verify it. lol
Are people really that lazy that they can't read directions anymore??? Geez.

I have no idea when we're scheduled to get ours, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if I see them tonight.

Well, the new card readers are going pretty good. Very little mess ups entering pins, quite faster, less confusing for people.

Unfortunately, it is now "Push the red X for credit" , but most people can figure it out by themselves.

One unfortunate thing is the swivel mounts they are on. It seems when you have them tilted upwards, someone goes to use their card and they accidentally push down the unit flat towards the counter. I am constantly adjusting the stupid things, but I always was with the old red ones too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back