Yeah, I'm a little salty

Amaylyn

"THIS SUM BULLS-...eye."
As y'all know nepotism is a real thing at Target. Here's our situation:

I work up front and I'm one of a few cashiers who have been taught how to "open" and "close" the front (real simple stuff) but we're a group that's also expected to play the role of Team Lead whether or not our actual team lead is there. We do it for the hours, seeing as compensation for doing work no other cashier is expected to do is impossible. Of course, they're getting 12 hours and we're getting 30. Kind of worth it.

Anyway, this girl got hired like 2 months ago and has been acting real snooty up front - she's been acting like she's knows more than the rest of us, which wouldn't be so bothersome, if our team lead didn't treat her like it, too. Our lead doesn't trust anyone to run the front except for this girl and for the past 2 months I've been questioning if I just suck at my job and this girl really is better at it only being 2 months in. Our lead has had "conversations" with all of the cashiers in the group, sometimes about things that are HIS job to begin with that we aren't doing well enough FOR him - ALL the cashiers except for this girl.

I just found out that this girl is the daughter of another lead in the store. And that lead is best friends with my lead. I'm a little salty.

Idk, other than flat out confront the lead (and saying goodbye to my hours) how would ya'll deal? Anyone got a sneaky way to get him to chill?

Wow, that is a sticky wicket indeed.

Unless you feel very comfortable talking privately to your SD, you might just have to tough it out.

Wow, that is a sticky wicket indeed.

Unless you feel very comfortable talking privately to your SD, you might just have to tough it out.
😭 noooo our SD is leaving for another store and stopped caring lol maybe the next SD?

Are you still getting the hours you want? If so and you know you are doing your job correctly then just be thankful that you don't have the stress of overseeing the front when it gets busy and things go sideways.
But we do... whether or not the SETL is there WE'RE the ones who get coached when things go sideways. 20 drive ups at one time? Only one person doing drive ups? Coaching for the opening advocate. Meal compliances? Coaching for the closing advocate. The break schedule didn't go as planned? Coaching for both closing and opening advocate. We've all been put under the "Service and Engagement Team Lead" title on the grid and schedule at one point or another. We don't get the pay, however, but we get the responsibility and are expected to handle any and all problems like a lead would without the store backing us as they would a lead.

In your store it looks like this is the “cost” for getting 30 hours. I don’t like it, I don’t think it’s fair to you to be responsible for what other people do without being paid as a TL, but I don’t see any options that let you keep the hours without keeping the responsibilities.

but I don’t see any options that let you keep the hours without keeping the responsibilities.
I was afraid of this. It's hard knowing you're being exploited every shift. Harder still working with good people who are feeling the same way. Even harder knowing you don't even have the power to help out your co-workers.

To think none of that will happen to this girl at my store because she happens to be another lead's daughter.

But we do... whether or not the SETL is there WE'RE the ones who get coached when things go sideways. 20 drive ups at one time? Only one person doing drive ups? Coaching for the opening advocate. Meal compliances? Coaching for the closing advocate. The break schedule didn't go as planned? Coaching for both closing and opening advocate. We've all been put under the "Service and Engagement Team Lead" title on the grid and schedule at one point or another. We don't get the pay, however, but we get the responsibility and are expected to handle any and all problems like a lead would without the store backing us as they would a lead.
Hell no. All advocates are to be able to do everything seamlessly--that's Modernization. They aren't supposed to be using GSA, Lead Cashier, Opening or Closing Cashier, Point Person, or whatever other name they want to use. You are not a supervisor, and cannot be held responsible for meal violations. There are paid leaders in the building who get alerts about those. Geez.

Hell no. All advocates are to be able to do everything seamlessly--that's Modernization. They aren't supposed to be using GSA, Lead Cashier, Opening or Closing Cashier, Point Person, or whatever other name they want to use. You are not a supervisor, and cannot be held responsible for meal violations. There are paid leaders in the building who get alerts about those. Geez.
Yup, I know what it's supposed to be like and I know they're doing us dirty but legit my schedule says:

Attachments

• 20201201_102700.png
    20201201_102700.png
    116.1 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

I hope by coaching, you don't mean actual documented coaching.

And this happens to me as well. I'm one of those that is kind of scheduled as setl, but is just a TM. I more or less signed up for this though. I'm fine with my little coachings. It's weird to be talked to about so and so being a minor and not clocking out on time, but I'm grateful to be respected enough to know I can make sure someone else leaves on time. Have you ever considered asking your ETL or SD if they thought you could be an actual TL one day?

Try not to trash talk to be catty with this new girl. It will get you no where.

I'd be asking where the pay bump is but that would torpedo your hours & increase the misery.
About the only thing you can do is keep your head down, don't say anything about the 'golden girl' & hopefully she'll flame herself out.

I'm shocked that you are actually scheduled as SETL. Sometimes my SETL puts SETL next to my name on the break grid, but scheduling wise my SD will put me as SA when she wants me to make sure the front runs smoothly

I hope by coaching, you don't mean actual documented coaching.

And this happens to me as well. I'm one of those that is kind of scheduled as setl, but is just a TM. I more or less signed up for this though. I'm fine with my little coachings. It's weird to be talked to about so and so being a minor and not clocking out on time, but I'm grateful to be respected enough to know I can make sure someone else leaves on time. Have you ever considered asking your ETL or SD if they thought you could be an actual TL one day?

Try not to trash talk to be catty with this new girl. It will get you no where.
Like I said, it wouldn't bother me if the treatment wasn't what it is. My SETL has used the words "I'm scared to leave the front right now" when he'd be leaving me in charge before so I know it's not respect rather convenience.

We all signed up to learn closing and opening duties, the TL responsibilities came as a surprise and we haven't had more people say yes to it because we warn them. I would never talk trash about her there, that's why I'm here asking how smarter people would handle this. I've had two really good people quit on me because of the nepotism and it's making it difficult to get the job done adequately.

I'd be asking where the pay bump is but that would torpedo your hours & increase the misery.
About the only thing you can do is keep your head down, don't say anything about the 'golden girl' & hopefully she'll flame herself out.
Damn. We had one like her before who shot herself in the foot and ended up quitting. But this one's another TLs daughter and is close with SETL so I don't see flames any time soon. This is gonna be a seriously trying December. 😓

I'm shocked that you are actually scheduled as SETL. Sometimes my SETL puts SETL next to my name on the break grid, but scheduling wise my SD will put me as SA when she wants me to make sure the front runs smoothly
Yeah, this particular store is more than a lil fked up. Some of the things I see happening here... I'm pretty sure are illegal. Been here 3 years and I'm just here until I finish school next year and can finally leave this circus.

Ugh that all sounds terrible. Yeah I agree with redeye, I would be asking where my TL pay is if they want me to be responsible for other TMs and their behavior. Nah bruh. The front end is seriously the last place in the store I would want to work.

Oh I'm scheduled that way all the time. But I'm not doing coaching crap. I'll tell the actual TLs what I observe and they can take it from there.

This is EXACTLY why I quit.

Oh I'm scheduled that way all the time. But I'm not doing coaching crap. I'll tell the actual TLs what I observe and they can take it from there.
We don't coach, we get coached for the other advocates' mistakes and compliances because it's our responsibility. Not on WorkDay, mind you, we're still "Guest Advocate" on that. But on the grid and on Kronos/myTime we're SETLs. We don't have the actual power, we don't get the pay, but thanks that little line at the bottom of our job description ("All other duties based on store needs") we get half the responsibilities of the lead. They deal with computer stuff, paperwork(including conversations/coachings) and ordering, we do the rest.

Yikes that’s a sticky situation. And another yikes that you do TL work but not get the TL pay. And on top of that you get coached for other people’s perfomances when you are not even a supervisor level. If I was in that situation, I would rather not take the guaranteed hours. I am sure there are like plenty of people giving out their shifts. That’s too much for my mental health and you don’t even get paid TL level. If they are going to give you TL job duties, they should either make you a TL or give you more $ than the average TM who has the same position.

If they are scheduling you as SETL and expecting you to do the work of one but not paying you the same wage, you’ve actually got a pretty nice wage theft case on your hands. Contact your state’s labor board.

Back