Archived You guys are my saviors. I can't count on my GSAs and definitely not the GSTL for anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat at heart

I'm part cat =^.^=
I can't ask my GSAs/ GSTL for help, when I do they will tell me to figure it out or give me an attitude for not knowing how to do something after a year of working at my store, but there is cashiers that have worked there much longer than I have and they will need help every now and then, too. They are NEVER around when help is needed and when they are they tell me I SHOULD know all the answers by now and act inconvenienced when I don't have the knowledge to help a blinker. Basically when I'm at Self Checkout I have to help my guests, watch for AP, get Red Cards and help blinkers when all I trained to do when I got thrown into it was AP and Red Cards. I just want to learn as much as I can to make their lives a little easier in the store, because it will make my life easier as well and I'm tired of getting third degreed for having to rely on what they know. I don't want their title if it's gonna turn me into them. All I want is to know just enough to not have to ask for help they don't want to give. They have expectations for me, which I COMPLETELY understand, and hope I can live up to and exceed, but I can't help them if THEY don't help me, so I guess this is where you guys come in. All I need to know is when you scan a receipt, and type in the VCD, there is all these options, I can do a Gift Receipt, and the Missed Coupon, and Double Scan but how would I use the rest of the functions on there the only one I ever use is the one that says Fix Mistake and Gift Receipt one, and even then how would I be able to process a return or any kind of exchange ( even exchange or exchanging one item for a completely different one with a different price) or all the other key functions besides Fix Mistake? Please and thank you.

A lot of the things that you are asking about are for guest service or your GSA to handle. I get that they might be being rude to you but if you are not properly guest service trained it can lead to mistakes on your part or the guest taking advantage of you which I’m sure you don’t want. Ask to be guest service trained

Edit: I appreciate you asking and wanting to learn so that you can handle things yourself though

Last edited:
Thank you guys, that's exactly what I was thinking as well too, I've never worked at Guest Services before, but for whatever reason I'm expected to know all those things, and I don't want to keep living in fear of my next shift like, "Okay, let's see what else I won't be able to help my fellow cashiers or my own guests at Self Checkout with today," or living in fear of something I couldn't handle myself one day happening again and being made to feel like a failure for it by my GSA/GSTL, even though I'm am pretty consistent with Red Cards even at Self Checkout. I've seen them do and exchanges on the normal registers too, I just want to be able to do it too. That reminds me what do you do when you scan an item with a My Device and it says item not on file? Don't sell it? Defect it? Make up a price for it? Try to find it online,like on the Target App and sell it at whatever price shows up on there?

Lol. Guest Services here I come!!! If you guys can share anything else worth knowing, please do. I appreciate you. You guys are the best. Keep it coming! 😋

When you find an item that’s not on file try using the target app on your phone or the zebra to find the same item or similar and then selling it by typing in the DPCI (you can find it under show more details on the target app). I also have the Walmart app on my phone cause for some reason a lot of things that aren’t sold at my store but are sold at Walmart end up there. :rolleyes: If you have a real hard time with a specific item call one of your GSAs over to help and hope that they aren’t rude to you :p even if they are, it’s their problem not yours, you seem like a good worker who is eager to learn.

My TLs allow me to process returns at the check lanes. But I'm GS trained and coded, and I'm only allowed to do so if there's no line behind them at my lane, there's a line at GS, AND it's for a small return. Even then, you don't know what sort of complexities are going to pop up until you get started. So I avoid it when I can, and I usually preface that discussion with "I'm trained but the terminal's functions are limited, let's see what it will allow me to do from here."

I call this, "nip, nip" behavior, and it generally increases when hours are about to be cut. Supervisors start nipping at each person.

I also notice that they avoid real issues, like call outs, attitude etc.

Yes, the registers at the regular checklanes will let you do exchanges and returns. However it's still best to leave that to the people who have been trained in GS. You have to be on the lookout for scammers. You have to know what/when to defect an item out. Frequently it's a complicated transaction that would hold up the line.

Honestly, I think you should ask your ETL to become GS trained and work over there since you seem to be interested. ASANT but at my store, my GSTMs were always the last ones to have their hours cut. Most got 40 hours if they wanted it.

Yes, the registers at the regular checklanes will let you do exchanges and returns. However it's still best to leave that to the people who have been trained in GS. You have to be on the lookout for scammers. You have to know what/when to defect an item out. Frequently it's a complicated transaction that would hold up the line.
This! Cashiers shouldn't be doing returns for a variety of reasons, most notably it holds up the line for people wanting to buy stuff, but also, you should be GS trained before doing returns.

OP, if you have any more questions, keep posting... there are tons of GS peeps on this forum who can help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back