Archived Your thoughts on a union?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a current event and we're discussing it. Should people stop talking about hours that are cut because our request for hours failed or about raises because review time has past? Please let us know what topics you approve of and then we'll stick to that script so Nicollet Mall doesn't retaliate.

target0, I think you're taking it a little personally there. SrLOGtL isn't saying that this thread is without merit, just that it's relevance isn't as important since the vote took place and was unsuccessful(this time). He simply expressed his opinion, nothing more, and the same opinion you are allowed to express. Opinions notwithstanding though, we can still try to be civil to one another. I have to agree with him in the sense of moving on, I would hate to see so many people discussing this thread that we neglect some of the other areas of our home here.

"A union is for people who don't want to work any more."

Try telling that to teachers all over the US who are losing their rights while working more hrs than ever.

"I don't mind being on food stamps. I pay taxes, I deserve them."

Not everyone shares this view. True, most Target positions require little talent but for those of us who have been there long enough to accrue some real skill we could use a little more 'fair' compensation. Not necessarily a $1 more an hr but simply MORE hrs instead of taking a page from the Walmart playbook to avoid having too many people qualify for benefits.

Don't worry SrLOGtL in a few weeks most folks will have forgotten all about it.
Many will only remember the lies told by the bosses, others just won't care one way or the other while the few of us who continue to care will keep jumping up and down only to be ignored.

There maybe other factors on the termination of that tm. There is a good chance, that every future non union employer will be watching them like a hawk. But, my question is, what is the union doing to help her out now?

Generally speaking --- sure why not ---- A union wont make it worse for us --- Spot will plotz on his golden throne :thumbsup:

The more a company says - you don't need a union --- the more they fear it ;)

I see freedom of expression isn't allowed here eather :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Target takes a strong stance on being anti-union as it gives them 100% control, leaving no room for pay/hours/break negotiating.

The truth is... until Walmart joins a union, this is simply just a lost cause.

I'm ok with the idea of unions right up to the point were they take you union dues and make political contributions with it. If I want to donate my hard earned money to a politician I will do it myself thank you!

How 'bout when your CEO donates to a PAC that contributed to, among others, a highly inflammatory candidate resulting in scattered protests & headaches for TMs who had no say in the matter?
At least a union can vote out their pres.

I'm neither Pro-Union or Anti-Union, I'm Pro-Companydoingtherightthingsoemployeesdontwantaunion. Seriously though, this Union thing isn't going away, Target may have won this one, but it won't be the last time by a long shot. If they want to continue to cut hours and give more work and and give petty raises, Team Members are going to seek to change those things. Unfortunately, the Union Industry is the only thing that seems to have any hope. Unions have done a lot of good for this country, but have done equally bad, I don't want to say the time for Unions is over, but when Unions became corporations with a balance sheet to keep up, they lost the Members best intrest.

Target needs to seriously think long and hard about what will cost them more money, and I can bet you spending a little more to make Team Member happy, will win out having Target Unionized. And lets be honest, it's not food, pats on the back, dogs or little cards, that makes us happy, it's money. Make the raises worth some more, allow "Top Performer" raises. If somebody works harder and learns extra work centers, pay them some more. If a Sales Floor TM works a Backroom shift, pay them he Backroom wage! It's not fair that stores that are hurting can just schedule a lower paid TM to do a higher paid job. Those are the kinds of things a Union would try and change, but at a much higher cost then Target just DOING IT.

I really hope for a Union vote to win, because I feel that will be the only way for Target to "get" it. Maybe once they see what is done in that particular store, they can make some of those changes company wide and avoid having Unionization sweep the company. I for one agree that would be horrible, not just for the Company, but for the Team Members. I want the benefits of having somebody have "our back" without having to pay them, but if that is the only way I can get it, then so be it. I wanted to work at Target because it was the anti-Walmart, now that I have been here, I see it's just like Walmart, but with a prettier face. Target's losing all the things that made them different, people shopped at Target because there were helpful friendly people available. I can tell you right now, it is easier to find help in a Walmart in my area, and the Associates, in similar work canters, get paid more. That's not how you build "The greatest Company ever."

I don't want to see Target fail or get crushed, just the opposite. After I am through school, I would love to stay with Target and maybe set my sights on a Corperate position. But I don't see Target heading in the right direction right now, and even Investors are wary. I remember someone once telling me "Spend 1 Million to make 2 Million in the long term, or Cut 1 Million to save 1 Million in the short term. Which one do you think Retail Management will pick?" And that couldn't be more true.

Last edited:
I personally don't care either way. If it would guarentee me 40hr a week and a pay raise every couple months, IN WRITING, I'd sign in a heartbeat. If a union couldn't do that for me, tough sh*t, I won't sign.

I'm not really sure whether a union would be beneficial to the store where I work. I'd just like to be able to discuss it openly without fearing for my job.

That's why we can discuss it on here w/o fear of retaliation.

I personally don't care either way. If it would guarentee me 40hr a week and a pay raise every couple months, IN WRITING, I'd sign in a heartbeat. If a union couldn't do that for me, tough sh*t, I won't sign.

Nobody can guarantee you things like that but a contract would be negotiated which you would get to vote on and the company would have to stick to it.
Does that sound like anything you have now?

Nobody can guarantee you things like that but a contract would be negotiated which you would get to vote on and the company would have to stick to it.
Does that sound like anything you have now?

No...

But if a union existed and 51% of members agreed to something, the other 49% would be stuck with it. It would also add ridiculous levels of bureaucracy to the stores. Unions don't have a place with today's federal protections.

No...

But if a union existed and 51% of members agreed to something, the other 49% would be stuck with it. It would also add ridiculous levels of bureaucracy to the stores. Unions don't have a place with today's federal protections.

We've seen what happens when the elephants get in charge and they decide to get rid of things like child labor laws and minimum wage.
I'll take unions over 'federal protections' anytime.
After all, it was the union who made sure that the feds gave us those protections in the first place.

My understanding of Unions is they try to do several things. 1) Job protection i.e. help fight for your rights to avoid/prevent termination and corrective action. At your request, you get representation at any disciplinary meetings. 2) Provide a safer work environment. 3) Fight for all people to get cost of living increases and other reasonable raise increases, including extra pay for extra work duties added to your daily tasks 4) Fight to get better benefits at lower costs to the employees. 5) Maintain and increase employee pensions. This is my understanding and experience of what they do. They also usually have Union "dues" meaning, part of your salary goes to them for acquiring you these benefits. I have heard that some retail business have closed down once their employees voted to unionize (though I don't know if that's just rumor or true) So the question ends up being, is the extra pay and benefits worth the union dues costs? Also, if the union doesn't manage to get better pay or benefits for it's employees, then you could be paying for very little benefit except job protection. Some states allow you to "opt out" of the union in that case(called Right to Work States), but the less employees in the union, the less power and influence the union would have to acquire better pay/benefits. So there are pluses and minuses to unions.

I worked in a union store forh 20 years before coming to Target
In the 8 years with Target I have not seen any reason for a union. Target has been very fair with wages and benefits. Things started changing last year with lower raises and now this year The medical insurance being taken away. The union offers these two benefits for the price of union dues. I paid $11.00. 8 years ago for dues. Now I pay over $400.00 a month for medical. I'm not pro union I'm PRO BENEFITS!!!

Here's the reality on this topic. Just because some haven't had negative experiences at work doesn't mean other people haven't. Many have been told they can't transfer, can't promote, can't change their availability, can't demote, won't be allowed a leave, haven't been given a fair review score, have been given unwarranted corrective actions, etc. Those who have experienced these things probably wish for a union so they would have someone fighting for their rights because unions act as a group instead of it being lonely singled out you against all your supervisors, managers, HR's, etc, where they get to determine your work happiness (raises, promotions, disciplinary action)

don't pay attention to those who are anti-union, they fail to realize how unions would give the little guy a much stronger voice in so many ways: wages, benefits, job protection, you name it

I'm not anti-union or pro-union. I just have found no reason to need a union at Target,until now, with the benefits being ripped away. Something has to stop them from destroying the prople that depend on these benefits to survive!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back