Archived You're stepping on my toes... *a rant*

Status
Not open for further replies.
So heres some back story

Currently a 4am process.
I'm a regular TM. Not a TL. I run the AD Set team on Sundays because,
1-I was willing to give up any possibility of having a Sunday off,
2- leadership in the building trusts my performance and judgement, and
3- the pricing TL was and is pulling a crash and burn.

I've been doing it for months now. The AD process went from being horrible (not getting done, stacks of signs being handed off to the mid LOD, random TMs thrown on it with out training, bad prep, etc.) to being one of the strongest wins my store has. It is now a pretty consistent team and we finish well before 8 every Sunday and always help push autofills, reshop, pFresh truck, zone, whatever needs to be done.
Every other weekend, the pricing TL is scheduled from 6-230, 6-8 being helping the AD finish up, if need be. I usually tell her she can go do something else because we have it handled.

At this point, the team really is MY team. I handpicked, trained, and developed each of them. I make sure they get the recognition they deserve and I've even talked to our DTL about how the AD process has benefitted from having each of them consistently on the team.

Today was a huge AD. 35hrs by guideline, 8 full bins, and a ton of 7x11's to check. Everybody that knew how to do AD well and could come in at 4am was there. The pricing TL was there at 4am trying to tell me how this AD was going to go, who she was going to put where, and what she expected of my team.

I was more then a bit annoyed. The random Sundays I take off (maybe once every 2-3 months) she tanks my AD. She changes my teams routines, then doesn't help them when a trip up happens. Because of this, my team has begged me more than once to not take a Sunday off because they take pride in being the best and they feel like she doesn't know what she's doing. They each have told me that if she takes it over and I stop leading it, they will asked to not be scheduled for AD set anymore. I don't condone or encourage that thought at all, but that kind of loyalty makes me smile.

Before the team got clocked in and settled, before she had a chance to open her mouth to them at all, I pulled her aside and in the most polite, respectful way I could muster, asked her to back the fuck off, let me do my job, and to keep her trap shut.

I told her she has no problem sitting back and letting AD make her work center look good when she doesn't have to be here every Sunday so she needs to let me lead my team the way I see fit, the way that has made us successful. I told her she doesn't know them, their strengths, or what their individual motivators are so if she wants me to continue to run the process so she doesn't have to, she needs to let me do my thing.
I've had this issue with a couple other leads, but once I explained to them why consistent, involved, leadership and routine is a part of our success and how our STL, ETLs, TLs, and even our DTL has trusted me to do this, they back off and let me do what I need to do, and only interfere if I ask for them to.

But this bitch.... she tries to coach me! Tells me I'm not a TL and I need to stop acting like one. The E1 was standing there and basically told her that as far as the AD process goes, on Sunday mornings, I am a lead and to shut the fuck up because results speak for themselves.
While it felt REALLY good to have the E1 have my back like that, it still pissed me off that the pricing TL tried to coach me for doing something I have DTL support to do.

ugh

rant over!

The ad was 8600 signs this weekend. We have srtl who works every Sunday with us. They're great. If we are done early, we take of her stuff, like new sales planners, reshop, & resolve any pog issues in her dept. they make that the team is taken care on Sundays.
I am glad you had the etl to back you up.

All of the leadership at my store has said that they love that I run the AD and how I run it because they don't have to worry about it. They know I'll take care of whatever needs to be done and they don't have to chase people down to get updates and communication or babysit people to make sure it gets done.

I ran the adset myself so I know what a challenge it can be.
It's always fun to watch people come in and try to 'fix' things especially when you have a team who know what they are doing.

Team members should never have to be put in leadership roles unless they are getting leadership wages in my opinion. Why should you have to baby sit people while still making the wages of a minion?

I ran the adset myself so I know what a challenge it can be.
It's always fun to watch people come in and try to 'fix' things especially when you have a team who know what they are doing.
I told her to stop trying to fix what not only isn't broken, but it the only working part of her work center. lol

how many are you in the ad team?
Depends on how big the AD is. It's always at least my girl in A, my guy in F, a softlines TM (three of them rotate weekends), and myself. Anyone else is rotated out of a group of about 7 others that are really good at it.

Team members should never have to be put in leadership roles unless they are getting leadership wages in my opinion. Why should you have to baby sit people while still making the wages of a minion?
I took it to develop my leadership skills and to fix a broken process. It wasn't about the money.
The team I've put together doesn't need babysat. If I couldn't trust them to get their shit done without me hovering, they wouldn't be allowed on my team.
And I'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't refer to me as a "minion".

Are there multiple teams during this time at high volume stores? Why can't the LOD do this?

asked her to back the fuck off, let me do my job, and to keep her trap shut. .....I love that the word "polite " began
this sentence. I would cut my etl's arm off to have you on my team ! keep up the good work and keep on pushing back!

We are all minions of Target. It's not necessarily bad.

I am just saying that a team member should not be in a leadership role unless they get more wages. Why take on the responsibility of a team leader while still making the wages of a team member? I mean you are just selling yourself short and letting Target take advantage of you. Being a team leader requires that you baby sit the people in your area. It's always a bad thing. It's just a part of the job.

Are there multiple teams during this time at high volume stores? Why can't the LOD do this?
On a typical Sunday morning, it's either the Flow TL or Backroom TL (both are key carriers) depending on whose weekend it is in the rotation, the autofill team, and me and my AD team. Usually the E1 doesn't come in till around 5-5:30 on Sundays. He was only there at 4 this Sunday because he had other things to do as well.

asked her to back the fuck off, let me do my job, and to keep her trap shut. .....I love that the word "polite " began
this sentence. I would cut my etl's arm off to have you on my team ! keep up the good work and keep on pushing back!
Thanks!

I fell into it when the person who was doing it went off to have a baby and they didn't assign anybody else.
I've don't middle management positions all my life and it wasn't any skin off my nose to run the team.
Wasn't expecting to move up or even a thank you out of it.
Not sure but they didn't seem comfortable having me run a team when I didn't care about being on the 'track'.
The funny part was they moved me off adset after I had gotten it working perfectly to have it run by alternating TLs.
They never got it back on track.

I fell into it when the person who was doing it went off to have a baby and they didn't assign anybody else.
I've don't middle management positions all my life and it wasn't any skin off my nose to run the team.
Wasn't expecting to move up or even a thank you out of it.
Not sure but they didn't seem comfortable having me run a team when I didn't care about being on the 'track'.
The funny part was they moved me off adset after I had gotten it working perfectly to have it run by alternating TLs.
They never got it back on track.

I was put into it during the transition of one Pricing TL leaving and his replacement getting settled in role.
Since I "fixed" it, if anybody tries to "duplicate results", they fail.
Sad part is they fail because they don't follow the detailed, damn near minute by minute, play by play of what I do to run the team that I write out if I ever won't be there for some reason. If they'd only listen....

On a typical Sunday morning, it's either the Flow TL or Backroom TL (both are key carriers) depending on whose weekend it is in the rotation, the autofill team, and me and my AD team. Usually the E1 doesn't come in till around 5-5:30 on Sundays. He was only there at 4 this Sunday because he had other things to do as well.

Thanks!
This sounds exactly like my store and the opening LOD runs ad. As long as you're doing it for free, I guess it makes their job easier.

Yeah. I like doing it though. Always feel good about myself when the team does well, even though it has very little to do with me and everything to do with the fact that my team is a bunch of rockstars. lol I make sure they know how proud I am of them every chance I get.

OP I feel you. But playing the devils advocate here, how do you think your TL feels? I bet they feel like you might be stepping on their toes a bit also. Remember it is their workcenter and they call the shots! They might not make the right calls, but it really isn't your job to be insubordinate to your TL even if their plan is horrible (let them fail, and you will look better!).

If I was a TL and my TM told me to "back the fuck off, let me do my job, and to keep her trap shut" I'd coach them too. Just because "Leadership" trust you doesn't mean you can talk down to your direct TL.

I'm a backroom flow, and I basically "run" the backroom. I simply can't tell my TL to "back the fuck off" when they try to take direction, even if they do suck at it. I also agree with that TMs shouldn't be allowed to take leadership roles for the same pay, even if they want to. It's really a slap in the face, even if you don't feel that way. I've seen way to many people that were being "developed" only for management to bring in someone from the outside to fill that spot.

Doing something like that to a TL in my store would've got you coached and never doing ad again. Sorry but just because you feel like that's your team, it's not. And ultimately its not on you when the ad doesn't get done, its on the TL.

OP I feel you. But playing the devils advocate here, how do you think your TL feels? I bet they feel like you might be stepping on their toes a bit also. Remember it is their workcenter and they call the shots! They might not make the right calls, but it really isn't your job to be insubordinate to your TL even if their plan is horrible (let them fail, and you will look better!).

Yh I agree with @Barcode . It sounds like you've done a wonderful job with the team but let's be clear, it's still the TL's team whether she's doing a good job or bad job and you were out of line when you told her to "back the fuck off" of her team. So you kinda deserve that coaching. I'm surprised you're still on her team. If you have a problem with the way she wants to run her team, then you should talk with her and offer suggestions on how to do things.

I currently am the made up title by my TL "Ad Captain" when she's not there every other Sunday. So every other Sunday I'm providing directions for the team. When she does something I absolutely do not like, I roll with the punches because one, I'm still just a TM and two, I'm sure TMs on the team doesn't like when I give them directions that may sounds idiotic to them but guess what? They roll with the punches.

Last edited:
When we don't have a brtl, my ETL log expects a brtm to essentially be a BRA, only without the pay increase. I'm not gonna ask a TM why he back stocked a third dpci in a location. I really don't care. I'm always able to complete my pulls. Sure it sucks to have to scan a bunch of dpci's, but I understand that there isn't any room. I don't even agree with training people without compensation and I'm a trainer.

Are you in the pipeline at all? or just super enthusiastic and passionate about ad-set?

If I was a TL and my TM told me to "back the fuck off, let me do my job, and to keep her trap shut" I'd coach them too. Just because "Leadership" trust you doesn't mean you can talk down to your direct TL.

I'm a backroom flow, and I basically "run" the backroom. I simply can't tell my TL to "back the fuck off" when they try to take direction, even if they do suck at it. I also agree with that TMs shouldn't be allowed to take leadership roles for the same pay, even if they want to. It's really a slap in the face, even if you don't feel that way. I've seen way to many people that were being "developed" only for management to bring in someone from the outside to fill that spot.

I never said I specifically said those words. I was polite and diplomatic about it, that was just the gist of what I said. I'm not stupid. I know how to watch my mouth when need be. And she's by no means my direct lead. I'm first and foremost Flow team. She didn't try to coach me over what I said to her. She tried to coach me over giving the team direction, which is what my purpose for being there is. There is a world of difference. And if it's a slap in the face, then she should try to work on her opps that are preventing her from succeeding in this area. When she was new in role I asked her if she wanted to take it over, being the lead the AD falls under, or if she wanted me to continue to run it. She told me flat out that she didn't want to deal with AD because she "had other shit in price accuracy to deal with." and she didn't "want to come in at 4 anyway." If you don't want it fine, I'll do it, but don't come back once I get it stellar and try to play big bitch on campus.

Doing something like that to a TL in my store would've got you coached and never doing ad again. Sorry but just because you feel like that's your team, it's not. And ultimately its not on you when the ad doesn't get done, its on the TL.

Actually it is on me. I told my STL that if the AD goes bad, it's my responsibility and I should take the bullet for it. And I have. I don't just assume all the perks and none of the blowback.

Yh I agree with @Barcode . It sounds like you've done a wonderful job with the team but let's be clear, it's still the TL's team whether she's doing a good job or bad job and you were out of line when you told her to "back the fuck off" of her team. So you kinda deserve that coaching. I'm surprised you're still on her team. If you have a problem with the way she wants to run her team, then you should talk with her and offer suggestions on how to do things.

I currently am the made up title by my TL "Ad Captain" when she's not there every other Sunday. So every other Sunday I'm providing directions for the team. When she does something I absolutely do not like, I roll with the punches because one, I'm still just a TM and two, I'm sure TMs on the team doesn't like when I give them directions that may sounds idiotic to them but guess what? They roll with the punches.

Everyone has been told by all leadership that I run the AD and if anyone has a problem with how I do it then they need to take me off stage and discuss it with me, to avoid a conflict of who to listen to for the team. Which she didn't do, opting to try to belittle me in front of the team. One of the reasons I am in this role is so the team has consistent leadership and just general consistency all around with how things get done.
Interrupting me while I'm talking to TM about specifics for his area, saying "You can stop talking, I see how YOU would think that would work, but it won't" and trying to give him different direction is not fostering consistency.

I did the right thing, pulled her away from listening ears and said
"*name*, I appreciate you being here so early, and being involved in the process, but I'd be grateful if you wouldn't talk to me like that in front of the team. If you don't like how I'm doing things, tell me, but I expect the same respect I'm giving you now by taking the discussion elsewhere. I've been trusted by numerous people to run this process as I see fit and I have been successful so please let me do that."
Which in my head was diplomacy for shut up and back the fuck off.

Are you in the pipeline at all? or just super enthusiastic and passionate about ad-set?

TL posts are pretty much closed in my area because of AE14. My district as a whole was way over head count.
I'm head over heals for logistics, but AD set is kinda my hobby. I'm good at it, I really like doing it, no one else wants to do it and that has led to me being put in the position.

TL posts are pretty much closed in my area because of AE14. My district as a whole was way over head count.
I'm head over heals for logistics, but AD set is kinda my hobby. I'm good at it, I really like doing it, no one else wants to do it and that has led to me being put in the position.
I love doing the ad on Sundays, because no one else wants to do every Sunday morning. Plus, I see all the new or great stuff on ad for the week. My team has the same passion, along with my great srtl too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back