Archived 10 ways Target is robbing you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And this is why we are always so busy at guest services...the buyer's remorse is huge.

But seriously...I can't believe how many times I hear a mom say to her kid..."do you want this? No? Why not? It's so wonderful!" Until she eventually talks her kid into wanting it.

Had a guest at SD who was remorseful on a regular basis.
She'd buy a heaping cart's worth & virtually all of it came back in 7-10 days because her husband 'made her bring it back.'
Didn't see her for a long time; guess hubby finally put her on a budget.

And this is why we are always so busy at guest services...the buyer's remorse is huge.

But seriously...I can't believe how many times I hear a mom say to her kid..."do you want this? No? Why not? It's so wonderful!" Until she eventually talks her kid into wanting it.

Try working at a Walmart where their main shopping crowd is a bunch of poor people... Bet their returns are 10x worse 10x more interesting lol.

People who shop at Target (in general) are more middle class/affluent and can afford frivolous things.

Most of the returns I ever did at my Super Target in a middle class suburb were pretty straightforward/drama free. Sure you got the occasional crazy who escaped from Walmart, but it didn't happen often.

Target it robbing me because they sell stuff I want to buy? Haha. Okay. I was hoping that article was actually going to unveil something a little more insightful.

However....I just did a load of returns last weekend because it was stuff I bought too much of, didn't need, or just decided I'd rather have the money. I thought, "You know what, I'd rather have the money than this stupid shit." My intent was to return my stuff and leave. Instead I walked onto the sales floor and practically spent the money's worth of what I just returned anyway on groceries. Oh well. It it's not going to Target, it's just going to go somewhere else.

Target it robbing me because they sell stuff I want to buy? Haha. Okay. I was hoping that article was actually going to unveil something a little more insightful.

The article is very tongue-in-cheek. The point is that Spot sells a lot of useless cheap knick-knacks that we don't really need but for some reason throw in our carts anyway. That's really the business model. How often do you hear guests saying they came in for one thing and walked out with the whole store? If everyone who came in for "just one thing" actually left with just one thing, the company would be bankrupt tomorrow. It's why grocery/market is in the back of the store, so you have to walk through the rest of the store and be tempted by everything else before you can get your gallon of milk. Everything is about making sure that "just one thing" shopper leaves with a cart full of shit she doesn't need, doesn't really want (only thinks they want) -- and that explains why we get so many returns. I don't have any stats in front of me but I swear Target must get the highest volume of returns of any retailer anywhere, just because of all the buyer's remorse as @Retail Girl pointed out. Guest Service is always busy at my store and every other Target store I visit. This is why.

Look at your paid and left stuff at guest services sometime. About half of it is stuff worth $20, $30, up to $50...and no one ever comes to claim their stuff. That means they haven't a clue what they bought, nor can they remember by the time they got home. It's frightening.

WHAT TARGET STORE SELLS HARD LIQUOR

I WOULD RECOGNIZE THOSE VODKA BOTTLES ANYWHERE

My store just sells beer and wine. Liquor requires another permit, I believe.

I have brought this up before, but if you want a real interesting read on how stores entice us on buying stuff we don't need, check out Why We Buy by Paco Underhill.

It depends on the state. In my state, hard liquor can only be sold in a state runned store. By law, that is the only place you can purchase hard liquor.
We sell the hard stuff which is nice to have after a long days work...

Don't all Targets that carry alcohol sell hard liquor?
No. The Target I trained at sold hard liquor, but the city we're in denied Target's liquor llicense because we're too close to an elementary school so we just sell beer and wine.
(two different cities)

My store sells hard stuff, but it's incredibly overpriced. Never goes on sale and my state also has some pretty gnarly taxes, which make it worse, because the prices are already high.

Even with my TM and Red Card discount I... never buy alcohol from my store.

In Minnesota Targets carry 3.2 Beer in the grocery stores (in accordance with state law)

However we have 2 locations with the only full blown liquor stores in the country I think... It's a Liquor Store that is kept separate from the rest of the store (so they're allowed to sell hard liquor) ;)

The store I work at now sells hard alcohol, but my old store only sold wine and beer, it was because we were practically on a college campus.

In Maryland, most counties, including mine, only allow sale of alcohol in liquor stores and package good stores. So no hard stuff, no beer, no wine at Target. :eek:

Lol at the "your house is hideous aisle"
Gotta love the trend runs (and so do our guests!)

My store sells no alcohol (but others sell 3.2), similar to the Minnesota laws I'm sure (one store AFAIK in my state sells full strength plus hard liquor).

This is me, always.

Sometimes I don't wanna return stuff though because I don't want people to think I'm that poor. I make returns too often imo. Most recent piece of remorse.. A $20 cover-up. I was supposed to go to the beach today but since I made the request 3 weeks ago (as I'm supposed to) I didn't know it was gonna be a shitty day for the beach. Last year I spent like $50 on swimwear and I still haven't been to the beach lol. Probably keep the cover up and donate everything toward the end of summer. I bought a sunhat and beach towel too (not from tgt, but still, such remorse)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back