$15 minimum wage and $200 bonus recognition for work during pandemic

@jackandcat, the point I am seeing everyone bring up is a very important one. Management needs to address this issue somehow and soon, or they will pay the price. High turnover of experienced TMs will hurt the bottom line. We just need to remind them not to become like Amazon. Yes, Amazon has made Jeff Bezos rich, but the employees are treated like disposable garbage. They hire through small temp companies, outsourcing their labor, so they never pay ANY benefits or even their share of FICA. Employees are really 1099 contractors. They don't even without taxes for them. And their employees work in UNAIRCONDITIONED warehouses. They are injured and some die in fires or in forklift accidents. If you want spot to treat us TMs better, then buy from Target, not Amazon! And speak up!

I hope Target will consider extending the hazard pay in states where the virus is spiking. All states are not the same. I knew Florida was going to have record numbers of deaths as the state opened up. And now is the time I am really concerned. It is the worst of times with politicians talking bullshit while hospital rooms start to fill up and as more younger people start spreading it. The lock-down was working but now we are going to end up being the epicenter and it is like the pandemic has just begun. Oh well ...Ground Zero...time will tell.

I hope Target will consider extending the hazard pay in states where the virus is spiking. All states are not the same. I knew Florida was going to have record numbers of deaths as the state opened up. And now is the time I am really concerned. It is the worst of times with politicians talking bullshit while hospital rooms start to fill up and as more younger people start spreading it. The lock-down was working but now we are going to end up being the epicenter and it is like the pandemic has just begun. Oh well ...Ground Zero...time will tell.
,kroger, amazon,Lowe’s, and Costco already stop harzad pay

Last edited:
It's not just the "goose egg" .. it's the insult too. I've been with Target for 7.5 yrs, and just made it to $15/hr this year. Every year I've gotten an increase due to merit, 0.20 - 0.50 at most, I see my hours slowly cut for the rest of the year. I have to work two jobs just to pay bills.
The end of the extra $2 will cut my pay check further, and I'm supposed to be happy for the new people who walk in to the same pay I make? It seems that loyalty and longevity means nothing to this company. If you're not a TL, ETL, or SD, you're just getting the shaft. I don't see why corporate can't give those of us who have given five years or more an increase of at least $0.50 - $1 for differential. That would be fair.

As an ETL I feel shafted. I know you feel differently but I had over 25 of my team members go on LOA and I was unloading more trucks than usual for that time period. I get paid the same no matter what so even though I was putting in 12 hours days for several days straight my check is the same. To top that all of currently there is no plans that we know of for ETLs that worked through the pandemic peak in regards to rewarding them. Many of us had to separate from our families as a precaution, we lost people we loved, and we have been putting in fourth quarter hours in some cases. It’s just hey here is more headaches for you to deal with the show must go on.

Not crying over anything. Just saying that it’s not all sunshine and rainbows on our side either.

Although I feel Target is trying and doing better than most, I do feel like it’s ridiculous that a new TM can walk in and make the same amount as TMs with tenor. Also I would like to know is higher cost of living areas going to be making more than the $15 or is everyone going to just start at $15? If that’s the case I’m sure people in places like NY would be interested in transfers to places like Georgia or Florida lol.

As an ETL I feel shafted. I know you feel differently but I had over 25 of my team members go on LOA and I was unloading more trucks than usual for that time period. I get paid the same no matter what so even though I was putting in 12 hours days for several days straight my check is the same. To top that all of currently there is no plans that we know of for ETLs that worked through the pandemic peak in regards to rewarding them. Many of us had to separate from our families as a precaution, we lost people we loved, and we have been putting in fourth quarter hours in some cases. It’s just hey here is more headaches for you to deal with the show must go on.

Not crying over anything. Just saying that it’s not all sunshine and rainbows on our side either.

Although I feel Target is trying and doing better than most, I do feel like it’s ridiculous that a new TM can walk in and make the same amount as TMs with tenor. Also I would like to know is higher cost of living areas going to be making more than the $15 or is everyone going to just start at $15? If that’s the case I’m sure people in places like NY would be interested in transfers to places like Georgia or Florida lol.
Salaried management in retail is awful. It depends on things like your SD and the department, of course, but my experience (previous job) was that you will work much longer hours than your team, often trying to correct their mistakes or do the work they couldn't get to, or do stuff foisted on you by upper management. No work/life balance. I'd never do it again.

Salaried management in retail is awful. It depends on things like your SD and the department, of course, but my experience (previous job) was that you will work much longer hours than your team, often trying to correct their mistakes or do the work they couldn't get to, or do stuff foisted on you by upper management. No work/life balance. I'd never do it again.
My response to that as a team member is give me more hours, And I'll gladly take things off your plate. I love doing audits for example, give me a list , tell me to hunt and verify and I'll be happy.

I live in a high cost of living area and we have been at $15 and above for a while. No increases for us.

It's easy to say " I wish I were the boss" but at the end of the day the last thing I would want to be is a manager on salary for that exact reason. Putting in 60 hour weeks for months now I have been making almost as much as (newly hired) management at the DC is making as i am still working less hours than they do. Dollar per hour salary managers make very little per hour.

One thing positive about Target as a non-exempt TM is we aren't expected to work "off the clock".
One thing negative about Target is the fluctuating number of hours, even when the work to be pushed or guests to be served remains similar or even increases.
Looking forward to the $200 bonus, it is greatly appreciated. As for the "minimum wage", like many TMs I'm getting a goose egg out of this.

Isn't Target head and shoulders above similar retailers in terms of pay, work environment, etc.? I'd much rather be at spot than Walmart, Chick-fil-A, Kohl's, and the list goes on. Maybe corporate could be better, but there are WAY worse places to work. Try Amazon or Tesla for instance, too. Injury rates are something worth looking at.
In terms of starting pay yes, but their raises leave something to be desired. I’ve never worked for a company that bases a raise on the length of time you’ve been there that year versus the amount of effort you’ve shown. I’ve never received less than a ¢.50 raise at any company outside of Target, and I’ve certainly never been told that a raise will only come yearly. While it’s common for companies to give a yearly raise, I’ve usually seen an experienced raises based on performance. I worked at a large gym, something still less as common as Target and in the 5 months I worked there (left because my direct manager was bipolar and absolutely insane to work under) I earned 3 raises ( of .50, $1 and then $2.25) plus a 2 month bonus ( and additionally $250/paycheck for those months) when I stepped up in a time of need, as well as being offered a severance package when I put in my two weeks notice. For as large a company as Target is you would think that they could do a little bit better by their employees.
But it isn’t a hard job and I get that everyone is pretty much replaceable so it sucks but I guess as a company that’s how they justify giving people shitty raises.

The bottom line in all of this: Target regards each and every one of us as replaceable and disposable. I write this observation not out of bitterness or sarcasm.

Perhaps that's why I actually appreciate the $200 bonus. It's a pleasant contrast with their very skimpy benefits package offered for most store-level hourly TMs. It's also a pleasant contrast with the Scrooge-like annual TM pay raises, which are NOT really "pay for performance" but merely a token cost-of-living increase.

In terms of starting pay yes, but their raises leave something to be desired. I’ve never worked for a company that bases a raise on the length of time you’ve been there that year versus the amount of effort you’ve shown. I’ve never received less than a ¢.50 raise at any company outside of Target, and I’ve certainly never been told that a raise will only come yearly. While it’s common for companies to give a yearly raise, I’ve usually seen an experienced raises based on performance. I worked at a large gym, something still less as common as Target and in the 5 months I worked there (left because my direct manager was bipolar and absolutely insane to work under) I earned 3 raises ( of .50, $1 and then $2.25) plus a 2 month bonus ( and additionally $250/paycheck for those months) when I stepped up in a time of need, as well as being offered a severance package when I put in my two weeks notice. For as large a company as Target is you would think that they could do a little bit better by their employees.
But it isn’t a hard job and I get that everyone is pretty much replaceable so it sucks but I guess as a company that’s how they justify giving people shitty raises.

Always pros and cons. Go with what works for you. Vote with your dollars, too.

It's easy to say " I wish I were the boss" but at the end of the day the last thing I would want to be is a manager on salary for that exact reason. Putting in 60 hour weeks for months now I have been making almost as much as (newly hired) management at the DC is making as i am still working less hours than they do. Dollar per hour salary managers make very little per hour.

Used be in corporate finance. Don't I know it!

why dont you manage your time smarter if youre there 12hrs a day. our unloader/GM ETL does have the same burden as you, but he doesnt really oversee the truck and lets TL do it. He sits around the office, and handles guest problems, TM problems, scheduling, and hourly walks. our ETL doesnt do any work much unless someone calls it and do 1 or 2 uboats.

Back