2 Week Resignation

I needed somewhere to rant, I hope this post finds all previous, present, and future Target employees well. I am leaving because after 8 months as a Guest Advocate I am done; for many reasons. I came to work at target after graduating from UCSB Bc I needed money. Naively, I hoped that my time could produce some future career growth opportunities within Target; however, I quickly learned about the reality of office politics. Within 5 months I became the go to for covering front of the store team lead breaks and lunches. Amounting to about 7:30 hours / 36 hour work weeks. Not much, but still doing the work of team leads without recognition from my management team. As soon as my two weeks were in I heard from my ETL, what can we do to make u stay blah blah. Yah, great timing. As someone who wanted to be a lead Thst would actually engage snd find the best in my team members, as I did as their regular coworker, I think I’d exceed. Unfortunately, I will be leaving target probably forever. However, I think with enough support we could bring to light that the lack of corporate oversight/failure of management we could change the entire system. I’m probably being naive. What do y’all think? Any rants accepted. I’m just done with target.

Target is very good at getting a TM to do TL work without the pay. I would ask them to consider you for a TL position and none of the "on the bench" bullshit.

If they don't give you a timetable I would quit and go somewhere else.

You could see if there is a TL opening at another store and go from there.

Otherwise it is time for you to move on to something non-retail like banking.

Good luck.

Moving up in target can be a hassle for sure. However, how many conversations did you have with your leaders about a promotion. If you want to get promoted in any company you have to put yourself out there. They are not going to just give you a promotion, especially if your willing to do the work already. There are going to be atleast 4-5 decemt candidates for tl positions in a store and probably many more that want to. That doesnt include the candidates outside of target. There are only so many positions available, although turnover can be quite high a spot. Take what youve learned. Work hard and go out and get a position somewhere. Good luck 👍

I hope, to help the rest of us, that you leave an exit interview with that information- that they offered you too little too late. Stress the fact that had they come to you sooner you wouldn’t be leaving. I wish management was proactive about filling positions. It seems like even when someone gives 2 weeks notice they waste that time and we are without someone in position for a month while they interview, hire and train. We clearly do not have a current Bench of people to draw from to fill openings.

I needed somewhere to rant, I hope this post finds all previous, present, and future Target employees well. I am leaving because after 8 months as a Guest Advocate I am done; for many reasons. I came to work at target after graduating from UCSB Bc I needed money. Naively, I hoped that my time could produce some future career growth opportunities within Target; however, I quickly learned about the reality of office politics. Within 5 months I became the go to for covering front of the store team lead breaks and lunches. Amounting to about 7:30 hours / 36 hour work weeks. Not much, but still doing the work of team leads without recognition from my management team. As soon as my two weeks were in I heard from my ETL, what can we do to make u stay blah blah. Yah, great timing. As someone who wanted to be a lead Thst would actually engage snd find the best in my team members, as I did as their regular coworker, I think I’d exceed. Unfortunately, I will be leaving target probably forever. However, I think with enough support we could bring to light that the lack of corporate oversight/failure of management we could change the entire system. I’m probably being naive. What do y’all think? Any rants accepted. I’m just done with target.
I’m trying to quit soon because of management incompetence and the workplace bias and drama that’s allowed which seems to be the norm at most stores in the country. Target is a joke of a company and a lot of it’s a lie.

sorry. Target is a revolving door for team members, and higher positions. aka Corporate doesn't care.

Business Insider has done a few articles about Target and the working conditions.

-
Best of luck to you.

Back