Archived 2016 Summer Internship

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobycord

Know a little bit of info about a lot of stuff
I just applied internally for the 2016 summer internship with Target and I was wondering what my next steps should be. Should I just sit back and wait for an email or phone call or actually contact the recruiter personally? Or should I just let my ETLs do all the work with the contacts and everything else that needs to be done.

Be mindful you may be in a district which doesn't allow internals to do the internship, and don't take it personally when they don't tell you that until it's too late.

Be mindful you may be in a district which doesn't allow internals to do the internship, and don't take it personally when they don't tell you that until it's too late.
I had heard that from some posts but my ETL LOG actually started as a cart attendant, did the internship, and now he runs the back room all at the same store. I'm hoping I get it but won't be salty if I don't because I'm only going into my junior year fall 2016 and heard they look for people going into their senior year mostly.

Policies can change over five years or five seconds. My district changes what they do every year pretty much.

I just applied internally for the 2016 summer internship with Target and I was wondering what my next steps should be. Should I just sit back and wait for an email or phone call or actually contact the recruiter personally? Or should I just let my ETLs do all the work with the contacts and everything else that needs to be done.

Fair warning, a TM in my store just tried to get into the Internship program. The STL and DTL had talked and from what it sounded like, our DTL was interested in getting her an interview for the program. She had my STL's support along the way as well as the ETL's support. She's going to college for Business Admin, but when it came time to sit down with the DTL, she was told she couldn't do the internship cause she worked with the company and it would require going through too many loop holes.

Maybe you'll be lucky, maybe not. If not, the next best thing you can do is apply for an ETL position post graduation.

Current Extended Intern

found out that i'll be interning with my ETL-LOG for the summer. can ANYONE tell me how to survive Logistics because if i hear ONE more of my TMs tell me that i'm probably being trained to replace him i'm really gonna start believing it LOL :confused::confused:

From what I've seen, when you intern with a ETL of a work center then you are being slotted for that work center. Can be a different store, or at your own and the old ETL will be rotating to a new store.

found out that i'll be interning with my ETL-LOG for the summer. can ANYONE tell me how to survive Logistics because if i hear ONE more of my TMs tell me that i'm probably being trained to replace him i'm really gonna start believing it LOL :confused::confused:

Luckily you have prior Target experience, so that'll help with your 'basic' knowledge of Target processes/terminology. When I started my internship in 2013 (it's been three years already? Holy poop.), I started as a log-intern as my first experience with the company. Given that the store had just started the 7:00 unload process and moved down in headcount prior to my arrival, it was interesting.

As of a word of advice, as internal intern, you will be expected to perform at a higher-level then those who are new to the company. You will probably move on an 'accelerated' intern training timeline, and will probably focus on LOD/total store functions earlier in the internship then other interns.

Depending on your district/region's internship coordinator, you will probably attend several intern events (including kick-off, a volunteer day, DC tour, and a couple of team-builders). Remember, you are ON STAGE AT ALL TIMES during these events. As an internal promote, you can't 'hide' from your DTL... Always be networking, talking with someone, asking questions, offering insights, etc... Just get involved as much as you can.

Good luck! My internship was fun! It was afterwards that made me screaming into the night...

At your own store? That's a new one.

At your own store? That's a new one.
It's most likely because the only other stores near mine are an hour and some change in any direction so it'd be cheaper to just keep me there....I'd have jumped at the chance to experience a new store though.

So I'm 3 wks into my internship and I have to admit....I LOVE it, as an intern you're given the opportunity to see so much that goes on behind the scenes. I've learned so much more about the company than what I THOUGHT I knew coming into the internship. I don't wanna say I've drank the koolaid but I think I've been getting some slipped into my drink every now and then. From the first day of the entire internship you're treated as another Executive in the store and I'm actually treated as a peer among the other ETLs and my ideas are being heard and given weight. The knew aspect of owning your own business and making smart business decisions in order to drive sales is blowing my mind everyday. I know a lot of people say there's no chance that you can be an intern if you're already working for Target but I'm a prime example that that's not true. I actually met three other interns from another district who were internal hires also and they said they'd heard the same thing but still dug and went looking for answers from other sources before giving up. There's nothing but pros that I have when it comes to how the internship is going for me and the amount that you're able to make during the internship only makes me wonder how much ETLs are ACTUALLY making because.....wow....if anyone has anything they want to ask about ANYTHING pertaining to the internship I'm more than willing to answer questions because I feel like this is an opportunity that many people should inquire about.

Some of my old etls worked their way up through the company and one of my current ones did as well (though, she was probably a bad tm). The former pharmacy etl was apparently a cart attendant or something through school, then worked his way indoors to eventually be the etl. A cashier who was here when I started is an etl or something somewhere else in the district now. I think nowadays there are less internals, but they're not extinct. Grats, though!

Does getting the internship guarantee that you'll get an etl job?

I'll never forget teaching our new GE-ETL how to clear a call box, after I ran over (from the other side of the store) with like 10 seconds left....

They are now an STL somewhere.

Some of my old etls worked their way up through the company and one of my current ones did as well (though, she was probably a bad tm). The former pharmacy etl was apparently a cart attendant or something through school, then worked his way indoors to eventually be the etl. A cashier who was here when I started is an etl or something somewhere else in the district now. I think nowadays there are less internals, but they're not extinct. Grats, though!

Does getting the internship guarantee that you'll get an etl job?
the first day at orientation they said that the hard part was over (which would be going through all of the interviews) and that since we made it that far that the only they wanted now was to train us in order to become ETLs and give job offers to every intern. I was looking at some of my mentors paperwork and in my region they hired about 186 interns and said they planned to give job offers to 150 or so....i'll look monday and edit accordingly....but that part that i've seen is true about interns, they really want to give as many as they can a job offer to become an ETL.

the first day at orientation they said that the hard part was over (which would be going through all of the interviews) and that since we made it that far that the only they wanted now was to train us in order to become ETLs and give job offers to every intern. I was looking at some of my mentors paperwork and in my region they hired about 186 interns and said they planned to give job offers to 150 or so....i'll look monday and edit accordingly....but that part that i've seen is true about interns, they really want to give as many as they can a job offer to become an ETL.

I'll never forget teaching our new GE-ETL how to clear a call box, after I ran over (from the other side of the store) with like 10 seconds left....

They are now an STL somewhere.
There were some interns at orientation that i saw where i was thinking that i don't even know if you're gonna pick up on how to operate the register much less run a multi-million dollar store. But i think that may be what the internship is for also, a lot of people have great interviews but in the end can't put words to action when the time comes. My DTL said that she thought of the internship as an extended job interview. Since the internship my store's had two DTL visits and a visit from the PMBP. Each one has spoken to me more than they spoke to the ETLs so I feel like she meant what she said.

Oh okay. I only asked because the kid interning in my store seems to have the job version of senioritis. He's not being outwardly fast fun and friendly lol. I like him because he doesn't annoy me like the rest of my current exec team. He reminds me of Eeyore. I just can't see the company keeping him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back