2023 New pilots?

The last time this happened (at least it feels the same to me), leaders were cut to make more room for team members. At least that was the idea. So part of the impact on you will be perhaps trading an ETL for 3 team members, and maybe a couple of TLs for a few more team members.

It looks like in addition to this, there are some fundamental changes to how things will work. There will now be an operations team responsible for Receiving, pricing, pogs, in-stocks, backroom, etc. Everything else will be reworked in reaction to this.
The point of modernization was to cut costs and that typically means headcount and payroll as that’s the most controlled. Target realized that it was not a great idea and they need to reinvest in process teams because that works. This pilot is them reinvesting and growing headcount in order to gain stability back. I would be shocked if this didn’t result in added positions throughout the country

The point of modernization was to cut costs and that typically means headcount and payroll as that’s the most controlled. Target realized that it was not a great idea and they need to reinvest in process teams because that works. This pilot is them reinvesting and growing headcount in order to gain stability back. I would be shocked if this didn’t result in added positions throughout the country
I wasn't referring to Modernization. What I am talking about happened about 10 years ago and didn't have a snappy name like Modernization.
Why would they be referring to attrition if they are adding roles?

I wasn't referring to Modernization. What I am talking about happened about 10 years ago and didn't have a snappy name like Modernization.
Why would they be referring to attrition if they are adding roles?
Not sure where you are getting the attrition but in most leadership org charts have increased headcount’s with the pilot.

Same here. It's almost like this would've been necessary if HQ kept rolled out the pilot program of Food and Beverage responsible for vendor check in.
Yeah, I've been doing all that extra stuff since I started receiving almost 5 years ago. I'm guessing this thing was developed while they were still planning on going forward with that disaster of a receiving pilot

Yeah, I've been doing all that extra stuff since I started receiving almost 5 years ago. I'm guessing this thing was developed while they were still planning on going forward with that disaster of a receiving pilot
Lol nothing ever changed for that here. We've had the same receiving person here, I'm told, for the last 10 years. Sometimes I think the store would fall apart without them.

I guarantee they are initiating process teams again, but the stores won’t get ANY additional hours.

I guarantee they are initiating process teams again, but the stores won’t get ANY additional hours.
They'll just initiate some new procedure even worse than the current where you have to call your TL when you start the Uboat, when you finish it, and coach you when you don't keep to the 1 box per minute. Then they'll tell you the paper says you should only take x amount of time, when the paper doesn't account for time spent with guests, backstocking, or trash disposal.

I miss having one person whose job it was to do trash.

The guide that is available to all of us on workbench talks about it

The op model charts look like the ETL count is fixed while TL count is variable.
Ultra High volume and Super targets will not be run with 6 ETLs. Using deductive reasoning it’s pretty easy to assume that’s the starting point
We are going to be a pilot for the death of modernization. My SD told me that we're keeping the same amount of TLs and we're even losing an ETL.

The last time this happened (at least it feels the same to me), leaders were cut to make more room for team members. At least that was the idea. So part of the impact on you will be perhaps trading an ETL for 3 team members, and maybe a couple of TLs for a few more team members.

It looks like in addition to this, there are some fundamental changes to how things will work. There will now be an operations team responsible for Receiving, pricing, pogs, in-stocks, backroom, etc. Everything else will be reworked in reaction to this.
Hmm, we're not as low-volume as we used to be (Fulfillment is huge at my store), but we're not high-volume either. So we don't have a ton of ETLs and TLs to trade for TMs.
Thinking I wouldn't mind being part of the Ops team, as long as I'm not stuck doing only in-stocks.

Tech and Beauty are NO LONGER specialty sales, Move to GM ?
And specialty picks up Home, seasonal and domestics ?

Haha, There was talk of that here months ago.
When the Specialty Sales ETL was told , she demanded more pay than other ETL’s…didn’t get it…..Left. Still haven’t replaced her.

When the Specialty Sales ETL was told , she demanded more pay than other ETL’s…didn’t get it…..Left. Still haven’t replaced her.
Specialty has owned Home, Seasonal, and Domestics for nearly a year now. And moving Tech/Beauty over to GM just balances things out since GM would lose all Inbound operations and Fulfillment. They're already coded as "Essentials & Beauty" and "Hardlines" it a lot of the Greenfield cards, so they're mixed in with standard GM departments.

Specialty has owned Home, Seasonal, and Domestics for nearly a year now. And moving Tech/Beauty over to GM just balances things out
I agree It’s a positive move.
Just saying she left because of unbalanced distribution. I think they told her they were ADDING seasonal/home/domestics but didn’t mention
taking tech and beauty OFF.

Also, the tug of war that is : “is entertainment GM or Specialty/ tech” is no more.

Last edited:
Losing or is the ETL S&E becoming the new Merch etl?
Don’t really know. i asked but i didn’t really get a good answer lmfao. Either they can move or get fired or once they are no longer with the store. That position will not be replaced with another ETL
Specialty has owned Home, Seasonal, and Domestics for nearly a year now. And moving Tech/Beauty over to GM just balances things out since GM would lose all Inbound operations and Fulfillment. They're already coded as "Essentials & Beauty" and "Hardlines" it a lot of the Greenfield cards, so they're mixed in with standard GM departments.
With them going back, I wonder if positions are going to have different pay rates again.

Home and sea has been in specialty for a year now . Beauty and tech is moving to gm .
The gm operation will own plano , pricing . Except that pricing and plano at my store will be own by me as etl inbound . I’ve own plano since I was a Tl and wasn’t willing to give it up when I became etl

GM keeps inbound under this pilot.

Home and sea has been in specialty for a year now . Beauty and tech is moving to gm .
The gm operation will own plano , pricing . Except that pricing and plano at my store will be own by me as etl inbound . I’ve own plano since I was a Tl and wasn’t willing to give it up when I became etl
I always thought this made sense when the ETL log used to own presentation. If the person in charge of pushing the truck is also in charge of setting it, it’ll always be set early and sort properly. Freight to floor is so much easier when it’s the same etl.

I always thought this made sense when the ETL log used to own presentation. If the person in charge of pushing the truck is also in charge of setting it, it’ll always be set early and sort properly. Freight to floor is so much easier when it’s the same etl.
I agree. We are setting skin care now .

I agree It’s a positive move.
Just saying she left because of unbalanced distribution. I think they told her they were ADDING seasonal/home/domestics but didn’t mention
taking tech and beauty OFF.

Also, the tug of war that is : “is entertainment GM or Specialty/ tech” is no more.
We also had a tug of war with Baby, now it's firmly back in Style's hands.

Back