Archived $41 Short on Register.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was like my fourth day working, and a lady wanted to pay half on her card half with cash.
I typed the amount as cash and it said the remaining balance. The woman swiped her card and the register opened like a second after. I said "your card already went through...?" she said "yes!" and while I looked at the receipt i saw it said cash twice, I was about to say it didn't work until she grabbed the receipt and nearly sprinted out. It was so shady and I thought something went wrong. When I told a manager and a girl whose been working there forever they acted like I was stupid and said "yes the register opens.. then you put the money in it..!" no shit. I explained it 3 times to them. I'm so terrified I'm going to get fired because it was $41 short. I know I didn't do anything wrong, and if it was my fault then it was a complete accident. What's going to happen? I'm sooo scared they'll fire me or something, and I just started.

She paid part cash, why didn't you take her cash? That's why the register opens.

She paid part cash, why didn't you take her cash? That's why the register opens.
i think the issue is that it said cash twice so op only had the money the lady gave and not the rest the register thought it was getting

dunno how the double cash thing would happen tho

Oh, wow, really?
I did take her cash....
I was holding on to it, and she swiped her card and the register opened right away. When I looked at the receipt it said cash twice, as if she paid cash once then again. She quickly grabbed it and walked away and I was really nervous and confused, then realized it totally messed up.

i think the issue is that it said cash twice so op only had the money the lady gave and not the rest the register thought it was getting

me either, because I swear i pressed nothing. It was so odd and I freaked out because I knew that wasn't right. I'm so scared I'll be fired.

i understand what you did, you should be fine as unless your store is really sketchy they dont keep a huge tab on the registers and in cash office they dont balance the registers they balance the safe. so tell me if im wrong but lets say her transaction was $60 she paid $20 in cash and $40 on the card but on the reciept it says $60 cash right?

i understand what you did, you should be fine as unless your store is really sketchy they dont keep a huge tab on the registers and in cash office they dont balance the registers they balance the safe. so tell me if im wrong but lets say her transaction was $60 she paid $20 in cash and $40 on the card but on the reciept it says $60 cash right?

like if her total was $60 it said
Cash $30
Cash $30

When the second half was supposed to be her credit card. If they accuse me of taking it, or something, what do I do? I seriously don't want to get written up, in trouble, or fired.

I'm sure I'll get talked to about it, so should I offer to give the $41 from my paycheck, or tell them they can see the surveillance cameras... ughhhhh

If they're paying a portion in cash, the drawer doesn't open until the remaining balance is paid (credit/debit/check/whatever). Once the remaining balance has been tendered (via card, etc) the drawer opens for you to put in the cash the guest should've given you.
It won't let you tender cash twice so if she gave you cash then swiped her card, all you needed to do is put the cash in the drawer.
The only problem would be is if she didn't give you the full amt of cash.
Doubt you had a shortage & don't be offering to pay it back; it's an honest error.

It won't let you tender cash twice

Not true, or maybe ASANTS. Plenty of times I've miskeyed the cash ($2.00 instead of $20.00, for example), and simply rekeyed in the remainder. I've never had a problem with two cash tenders on a single transaction.

Well, you won't have to pay anything out of pocket. If AP really sees a major issue with it they'll pull you back and talk to you with the GSTL and get your side of the story and tell you what will happen from there on out. It's in your 90 days, so but I don't think that's a teriminatable offense. Just gotta be careful. I've done really stupid things when I first started. Most notably someone decided not to get a t-shirt at the end of a whole grocery list and a 2nd cart of groceries had gotten rung up and stupid me was having a bad day and wanted pressed Void, but instead of K3 to void line, I pressed K1 to void everything. I cursed myself right then and there, but the lady was okay with it, she wasn't mad but she wasn't like "Oh no honey that's okay! It'll be okay! We'll just re-ring everything, alright?" it was more of a "Oh, okay... oops haha" and yeah.

That's no where near a write up or termination, but just such a huge blunder personally to me and my GSTL was the one to re-ring everything up because it was super busy and every register had lines.

Well, you won't have to pay anything out of pocket. If AP really sees a major issue with it they'll pull you back and talk to you with the GSTL and get your side of the story and tell you what will happen from there on out. It's in your 90 days, so but I don't think that's a teriminatable offense. Just gotta be careful. I've done really stupid things when I first started. Most notably someone decided not to get a t-shirt at the end of a whole grocery list and a 2nd cart of groceries had gotten rung up and stupid me was having a bad day and wanted pressed Void, but instead of K3 to void line, I pressed K1 to void everything. I cursed myself right then and there, but the lady was okay with it, she wasn't mad but she wasn't like "Oh no honey that's okay! It'll be okay! We'll just re-ring everything, alright?" it was more of a "Oh, okay... oops haha" and yeah.

That's no where near a write up or termination, but just such a huge blunder personally to me and my GSTL was the one to re-ring everything up because it was super busy and every register had lines.

I almost pressed k1 so many times, but luckily never have with a big order. I’m hoping it’s not a reason to get fired but because it was so much money I feel like it will make me look bad. It was an honest mistake and it was my fourth day. During orientation the lady said we will be asked to leave after season if we mess up a lot and so on. I’m hoping this doesn’t count towards that.

Do you guys think I should bri g it up to a manager tomorrow or wait until they talk to me? I’m sure they will, how can you ignore that much missing

Me neither.

Oh, wow, really?
I did take her cash....
I was holding on to it, and she swiped her card and the register opened right away. When I looked at the receipt it said cash twice, as if she paid cash once then again. She quickly grabbed it and walked away and I was really nervous and confused, then realized it totally messed up.

Sorry, It didn't make sense to me at first. Honestly with how shitty the registers have been lately (apparently it's happening at a lot of Targets) I wouldn't be surprised if it was some computer glitch. Anyway, it's not like you pocketed money, so I doubt you'll be in trouble. They'll look into what happened of course, and correct you if a mistake was made.

Me neither.

Sorry, It didn't make sense to me at first. Honestly with how shitty the registers have been lately (apparently it's happening at a lot of Targets) I wouldn't be surprised if it was some computer glitch. Anyway, it's not like you pocketed money, so I doubt you'll be in trouble. They'll look into what happened of course, and correct you if a mistake was made.

Yes I was thinking I could tell them to watch the video if they want, I could just offer to give the 41 dollars if it prevents me from getting in trouble or whatever and that I’ll be more careful etc etc. I want to avoid getting fired and written up as much as possible.

Yes I was thinking I could tell them to watch the video if they want, I could just offer to give the 41 dollars if it prevents me from getting in trouble or whatever and that I’ll be more careful etc etc. I want to avoid getting fired and written up as much as possible.

Don't offer to pay them money. Worst case scenario, they just correct you (assuming it was even your fault) so it doesn't happen again. I'm still having a hard time fully understanding what happened, but it just spells "shitty computer problem" to me.

If there is someone from AP in tomorrow, bring it up with them and explain it to them as best as you can. Tell them the register and roughly the time that the transaction occurred at. I realise you probably don't know what this means, but tell them to check IPOS; ETLs should also have access to this. Bring it up to them before they bring it up to you - there's cameras over every register, and that should work in your favor.

Yeah I think my store gives you the option to select cash after selecting cash for the first payment as well.... But if not I wonder what type of fraudulent card did she have and where exactly can one get one ... asking for a friend!

Do you guys think I should bri g it up to a manager tomorrow or wait until they talk to me? I’m sure they will, how can you ignore that much missing

Yes, absolutely say something.

#1 It will show that you recognize that an issue occurred.
#2 Bringing it up proves that you take responsibility for mistakes.

Everyone makes mistakes, it happens. If you own it then management will see that you can be trusted. $41 seems like a lot of money but it’s not in the grand scheme of things. AP would also like to know about things like this (they already know) because they can help come up with a solution to prevent issues like this in the future.

Don’t sweat it and the store won’t take $41 from your check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back