Archived 53 cents for water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am with the guy who answered at the bottom. Also I'm moving this to Guests First.

Also, there's a drinking fountain right across from the restrooms, 50 feet away from the starbucks. Your daughter says she wants a cup and straw, well when you were told your tall cup would cost you 53 cents, maybe you should have turned to your daughter and said "let's just go without the cup and take a drink at the fountain" instead of acting like a ************ to the Starbucks TM.

When I did carts they gave me free ice water in the biggest size cup... paying for a cup is stupid imo.

Imo they were pretty rude to that guest.

I blame 'the customer is always right' BS.
You do something nice like provide the little cups for kids and they assume that its deserved even when you run out and can't go to the trouble of using the water fountain.

Well I'd rather get a nice ice cold drink of water then drink out of that nasty warm water fountian.

I'll add my own unique "shortage" perspective to this. My store policy is that we do not give out cups, even "water" or "small" cups to customers (there is a water fountain). It's nothing to do with charging them for it, we just flat out do not do it, and here is why: Every single time that I have seen a TM mess up and give a customer said cup, that customer has stole a fountain drink. They never get 'water', they get a fountain drink, and they repeatedly fill it the entire time they're there (sometimes hours). Customers in my store are the worst sort of people I have ever imagined, and THIS is why my store does not give out cups to anyone but employees.

In my bux, we only charged for water bigger than a tall. It was to cover the shortage of cups, especially TM's coming in and getting like 5 a day. I have no problem with people refilling. This is a Best practice released by starbucks corp to licensed stores that ALL Starbucks are required to follow. ESPECIALLY with Trenta cups.

Also, while i'm at it, ALL MODIFIERS (Soy, syrups, shots) Are to be charged for. If not, or properly rang in as a REWARDS PURCHASE ONLY with a REGISTERED CARD, then it MUST be charged for. It will create major shortage and just not end well for the team. (Not to mention orders won't be delivered, etc, etc.) I've only been at my corp bux for 2 weeks and I'm already tired of hearing "Well the TARGET starbucks didn't charge me for that!" I want go personally "coach" each one of them. :girl_cry2::facepalm::dash1::help:

Now however, in the case of this customer/guest in the answers article; if the bux was OUT of the tall size cold cups, they should have done a grande for no charge.

Last edited:
Now however, in the case of this customer/guest in the answers article; if the bux was OUT of the tall size cold cups, they should have done a grande for no charge.

agreed

Customer is always right is not BS. Target is a big enough place thatt theycanafforda cardboard cup. Frankly theydont pay me enough To be rude to guests. It's easier to be nice.

Customer is always right is not BS. Target is a big enough place thatt theycanafforda cardboard cup. Frankly theydont pay me enough To be rude to guests. It's easier to be nice.

They don't pay me enough to be NICE to the jackasses that get that sort of attitude over using a $%^@ing fountain instead of using our cups, and then stealing a drink after doing so. I guess we know which one of us hates people.

That starbucks was in the wrong for not accomodating the guest.. If they were out of the free cup size, they should have just gave her the bigger one free of charge since it wasn't the lady's fault they were out.

I don't think I've ever had a place deny me a cup for water if I've asked, and its always been free. Being asked to pay for water is RUDE.

I don't agree with what the guest did, but if I were in their shoes I would be pretty pissed if someone expected me to pay for WATER.

Last edited by a moderator:
No matter where I go, I ask how much for a cup of ice water (with money in hand). If it's free & there's a tip jar, I leave a tip.

Okay, as a parent, I can understand her wanting the cup if the child was too young to use the fountain. Our sbx has clear plastic cups that they give guests filled with water, they don't use the tall cups...Food Ave will give them the same cups (to fill themselves) if they ask. However, as a parent, I also think this woman was waaayyyy out of line. What a role model...way to teach your kid how to throw a temper tantrum! :good: Sbx should have either given them a different cup or sent them to FA to get a cup...

Last edited:
Give the kid a cup...

I've worked in stores where technically all cups were full price, even if they just got water and that's because the cups were an inventoried item.

In reality, you don't alienate an adult customer and give a child a lifelong (negative) memory of your store over a freaking cup.

Hey! Ach's back!
How goes it in the new locale?

Yes i am! Hehe i lurk from time to time =] I LOVE my new store and job. Its amazing. Thank you for asking!

On topic though, to those who don't know i now work for a starbucks corporate store; and apparently we just charge for vent & trenta waters. everything else we just mark through the POS system to track inventory.

But since target-bux is a "Licensed Store" Policies vary, and i do remember it explicitly stating that anything above a tall was to be rang through as a "coffee refill". (Under Coffee & Espresso --> PPR --> Refill on the target POS)

Aside from being a GSA, I am also a barista (AST certified and everything, lol). I never knew we were supposed to charge for water...or the cup it came in. If it's not fourth quarter (which, EEK, is coming up), we always have way too many cups. When they had me do the ordering (after telling me I was going to be TL over there, and then giving it to somebody else BEFORE posting it as an available position), I went overboard. We never ran out of anything, though, until I stopped doing the ordering. *insert evil grin here*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back