Archived 90 Day Probation as a Cashier, what keeps you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy! Let me just join in on this and tell you my story. It will get easier and better. When I was hired, I was also brought in as cashier. It is my first job ever and I had no previous history working. However, when I was interviewing, they noticed I had a customer service background from all of the classes I took in high school, so they told me they wuold make me a cashier and then turn right back around and train me on the service desk. So, I was excited. I went to training the first few days and was so nervous. Then, I was on my own. I didn't know what I was doing. The guests kept asking different things and having issues, so I kept flipping my light. This made the GSA's and the GSTL's extremely annoyed at me to where they didn't like me. Then along came another cashier, who is extremely bossy and hateful to all new cashiers, who was determined to make my life hell. She kept complaining about everything I was doing. She absolutely hated me. It seemed to get no better for the longest time. Then I was scheduled to train at the service desk. Oh boy. All of the GSA's and that hateful cashier just sort of laughed and thought, "hahahah! Yeah.. You're no good for this." and all of that, but I stuck it up and did the training. After I trained up there, everything got better. I began to understand everything better. All of the GSA's that didn't like me started liking me, and even the hateful cashier too. Now I am confident in my position, BUT I still get smart remarks and things said to me because I have never been told differently. Overall, it gets better. It will definitely get better for you too!

still only have 1 red card after a month, and now the TLs are pushing due to the weekly goal change. the girl that calls out and gets sent home early got two today! lol. i do try to pitch the cards but i'm not one to push people when it's clearly a no, when i do come close they don't have a check :p even if it's not my fault the TLs won't see it that way. What does make me feel better is that another cashier that I work with gets 1 a month and she's still working there since last fall. Too bad my 87-95% speed and several positive feedbacks i've recieved for talking with guests gets overshadowed by the cards.

Last edited:
Yeah, I just got a polite talking to today about it. My GSA just said to try and make a conversation about it instead of just being up-front.

If they don't have a check when you offer the debit version, you can then go ahead and suggest the credit card version.

Yeah, I just got a polite talking to today about it. My GSA just said to try and make a conversation about it instead of just being up-front.

If they don't have a check when you offer the debit version, you can then go ahead and suggest the credit card version.
Same here yesterday. Oh I do suggest the credit along with the debit alwats, no one I've helped EVER wants the credit, the few who ever consider it want the debit, and the rare that would want it don't have a check so I have to suggest to them to apply online because the TL said it helps the store, not me though :p

I'm annoyed because the lanes in my store don't seem to have the paper applications anymore for the debit. I liked those...

You may want to consider working for the backroom at some point, if it opens up. You still have to push items out to the sales floor but there is a lot of "alone" time in the back pulling batches where you can re energize.

Just gimme my cart pusher and git out the way!
in my store the cart attendant has to take all the hangers and items from checklanes to put back on the sales floor, bathroom check the mens room, garbage out front, and be backup register.

You may want to consider working for the backroom at some point, if it opens up. You still have to push items out to the sales floor but there is a lot of "alone" time in the back pulling batches where you can re energize.
that is an idea, but aren't some of the items rather heavy? my lower back and neck have some issues so it depends on what i'd have to do.

in my store the cart attendant has to take all the hangers and items from checklanes to put back on the sales floor, bathroom check the mens room, garbage out front, and be backup register.

Of course they do. It's awesome!

I still think CAs having to clean the lanes (hangers, reshop, etc) is silly. At my store it's the cashier's responsibility to clean their own lane, as it should be.

I still think CAs having to clean the lanes (hangers, reshop, etc) is silly. At my store it's the cashier's responsibility to clean their own lane, as it should be.

At my store, it's generally the GSTL/GSA's responsibility to collect re-shop and hangers, but if it's unusually quiet, an unoccupied cashier might do it instead. The cart attendants rarely do it because they're too busy with their own tasks (carts, restrooms, etc.).

I think we're a small (ish) store though, so that could be why. I don't know how to see our volume designation, but we merged the GSA/GSTL positions.

yeah, where i work the cashiers just work the register, zone their checklane while their free, then clean the belt, restock bags, and clean scanner area if they close. i assume we don't do anything else because they want all available cashiers at the checklanes at all times.

i have a question i forgot to ask earlier. one of my LODs said that cashiers who close are encouraged to help the sales floor zone after their shift is over (still on the clock) but it isn't required. is this common at other stores?

I like our way better. More to do. :p

I can't say we're encouraged to do that at my store, but we usually close up pretty quickly. Most people are just sorting out their re-shop/whatever it is they do about 5 minutes after closing.

If you are not doing anything, I will make sure you are. One of my biggest pet peeves is cashiers standing around waiting, waiting & more waiting. I guarantee you the lanes could use some more zoning, or there's reshop to collect, or OneSpot to push, etc. Don't just stand around, and you are golden in my book.

I like our way better. More to do. :p

I can't say we're encouraged to do that at my store, but we usually close up pretty quickly. Most people are just sorting out their re-shop/whatever it is they do about 5 minutes after closing.
Yes, it's interesting how all the stores vary. Except for opening until 11am (except sundays, HR was cashiering last sunday it was so busy) it's usually steady at the registers so for the most part I'm always busy. I was told that cashiers used to help zone softlanes while there weren't guests (which is by the registers) but that stopped a while back.
If you are not doing anything, I will make sure you are. One of my biggest pet peeves is cashiers standing around waiting, waiting & more waiting. I guarantee you the lanes could use some more zoning, or there's reshop to collect, or OneSpot to push, etc. Don't just stand around, and you are golden in my book.
Oh yeah at my store if there aren't any guests at checkout which isn't too much of the time the checklane get zoned (never much to do because they are usually neat when i arrive for my shift) or we are at the end of the checklane to let the guests see we are available for them to checkout, that's all they want us to do at my store.
people who zone the sales floor get out an hour after closing.

Last edited:
We'll sometimes zone either A block or Softlines, but only in-between guests. No one really stays after closing time, not even sales floor. LOD and GS(A/TL) are usually the last ones out, around half an hour after closing.

We'll sometimes zone either A block or Softlines, but only in-between guests. No one really stays after closing time, not even sales floor. LOD and GS(A/TL) are usually the last ones out, around half an hour after closing.
Yeah, at my location hours seem to be plentiful and the workers are all very compliant as long as overtime isn't an issue. No one (at the front end, i don't know most of the other workers) blinked much of an eye that the store was open for Thanksgiving last year to give an example when I had a discussion with a few of them asking how black friday was last year.

When I was a cashier, I would seek out things to do during downtime because I hated standing around.

Last year, our genius DTL decided that cashiers shouldn't be doing tasks anymore; instead, they should be standing at the end of their lane waiting for guests. But nobody really cares anymore. Whenever my ETL-Softlines is the closing LOD, he wheels a table or two from RTW to the front end so the TM at the service desk or self-checkout can fold everything.

If you have time to lean, then you have time to clean zone. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back