Archived 90 day probationary period

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KLC391

First off I want to say how informative this message board has been.

I have a questions about the 90 probationary period that I am reading a lot about on this board. Does management tell you about it when you are hired? The guy who interviewed me didn't say anything about it and the very few interactions with management while I was working my first two shifts last weekend didn't say anything either.

Should I expect a formal review at the end of the 90 days? My situation is a little different from most I think. I was hired on March 20 and my orientation was April 3 but I didn't start until May 19, but from what I read on here my 90 days started on April 3, so more than half of the probationary period I wasn't even working. Is there a chance they will not count those days and extend my probation? It would make total sense if they did.

I requested 2 single days off (which still fall in the 90 days) and a weekend off that falls after the 90 days. I have been reading things on this board that these request could hurt me, as I didn't give the specific days during my interview the manager who hired me never asked for specific days, just if I wanted to work every weekend and I told him I would occasionally request a day or weekend off but I generally worked every weekend at my previous PT job. He said, ok, that is fine. I am getting nervous now because of things I have read on here and the fact that this manager no longer works for the company. I am less concerned about the 2 single days but the weekend at the end of July is important because I will be out of town. I enjoy the job and during my first 2 shifts I think I did pretty well, so I would hate to be let go over this.

No review. 90 day probationary period should have been covered at orientation, I believe. Requests are not a problem. If they don't want to give them to you, they will just deny them. Honestly, as Planosss said, show up and do your job and you will be fine.

No review. 90 day probationary period should have been covered at orientation, I believe. Requests are not a problem. If they don't want to give them to you, they will just deny them. Honestly, as Planosss said, show up and do your job and you will be fine.

Thank you. It was not covered during the orientation. I actually thought the orientation was kind of lacking, but I hadn’t been to one in many years, so I thought maybe they just do things differently now. My orientation consisted of watching a video that discussed inclusion, the dress code and the discount. We then went on a tour of the store, took a lunch break and then worked out food pallets to the sales floor. We ended the night doing reshop. I thought there would be more policy info, like time off requests, direct deposit, benefits, stuff like that. Oh well, I guess it will be a learn as I go thing.

Thanks again for the info.

Yeah, I was surprised as well. It was basically a 5.5 hour shift. Like I mentioned before, I really like what I was hired to do, but so far the training/info has been rather light.

Did they actually give you devices and show you what to do with them?

If so, that's fricking awesome! My first hardlines shift, I had to get a TM to show me WTF to do.

They gave some people devices, but I wasn’t one and when I asked the person who we were helping where something went, she seemed super annoyed that I didn’t have one to check stuff with.

On the pick label, there can be a few "indicators" that dictate what to do with the product. On the label, it will be near the "Ad 08/21" in the example. If there is a "P", it means it needs to be pushed out. If there is an "S", it means stage. "B" means it's backstock...and part of the backrooms metrics is making sure that all product that has a "B" indicator gets backstocked. Otherwise your team is being inefficient and taking stuff out to the floor when they don't have to. If your store is a "Push All" store, this is how you tell the difference between what you need to take to the floor and what stays in the back without scanning everything on the line.

With the change to myPerformance though, it could be that this isn't a key metric anymore. I haven't dived into the backroom metrics with myPerformance.

Typically your NOP product will have some kind of info on the pick label that will give you a bit of insight on what's going on with it. If it's on AD, it could be there will be staged off area on the floor...or it could be that the planogram isn't in the system yet, so there will be a T indicator(Transition) with the date letting you know when it will be set. But if it's NOP or D-Code at this point, been in your store for awhile, and it looks like there will be no space or planogram for it in the foreseeable future...mySupport it, and request a CLR markdown on it.

318718_orig.png

Did you learn about dpci's?

Last edited:
That is a useful diagram. A bunch of it has no relevance to my particular job (SFS) but it is useful information just the same. I was told to pay attention to the last 4 digits of the dpci when I was looking for stuff to pick for orders.

I figure they will hit you with function and form first before piling on heaps of policy info that will dillute your function and form training. Plus, they probably figure if they talk policy and show you the job afterwards and it's not a good fit for you, then all that policy talk was a waste of everyone's time.

I figure they will hit you with function and form first before piling on heaps of policy info that will dillute your function and form training. Plus, they probably figure if they talk policy and show you the job afterwards and it's not a good fit for you, then all that policy talk was a waste of everyone's time.

That kind of makes sense. I just thought some of the policy stuff would have been covered during orientation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back