Archived A customer grabbed me in a dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I will glance at the coupons before I drop them down the slot. I definitely get suspicious when I see coupons on copy paper.
Drop them down the slot?
Your store still lets you put them into the SCO machine? We have all of ours taped over which freaks our couponers out lol.

Drop them down the slot?
Your store still lets you put them into the SCO machine? We have all of ours taped over which freaks our couponers out lol.

Yeah we use them. I like the idea of taping them over though lol. If for nothing more than to keep guests from putting trash in them or dropping their money in them thinking it was the bill acceptor.

MasterCard and Visa actually prohibit retailers asking for ID if the back is signed. Yes I know very few are actually signed so this is mostly a moot point.
The USPS Retail counter will ask for ID in certain cities (not Beverly Hills, etc).

I carded people all day long. If it's your card, it's not an issue is it? If you are a dude and your Visa Card says, ""Peggy," I am not taking it. Do not pitch a fit. I don't give a damn. (That actually happened.) No words can come out of your mouth that I have not heard or said myself, so save it.

and regarding my gift card men, Jenna120 is right. They were in the store doing this for hours.

Ours does too. But natural instinct for TMs is just to click store mode and scan their speed ID so they can fix whatever it is (remove an item, adjust a price, enter in literally any type of produce). Of course we need to pay more attention to the screen before we swipe on, but we don’t see thattt many extreme couponers so many get used to just walking up and swiping on while they figure out what’s going on and engage the guest.
I once had a screen call to have a team member check 16 coupons at once, I called my GSTL because i knew they were all fake and he was better at handling the aggressive type. I had another lady demand to see a manager because if the manufacturer gave them the coupons (that were obviously fake) the store should have to accept it and i was the only person to make it a problem. Little did she know it was the GSTL who came to me to watch out for her the moment she walked in lol.

I once had a screen call to have a team member check 16 coupons at once, I called my GSTL because i knew they were all fake and he was better at handling the aggressive type. I had another lady demand to see a manager because if the manufacturer gave them the coupons (that were obviously fake) the store should have to accept it and i was the only person to make it a problem. Little did she know it was the GSTL who came to me to watch out for her the moment she walked in lol.

I saved the target coupon policy to my favorites. It’s come in handy when I’ve had to deal with couponistas. It usually shuts them up when you put it right in front of them.

I saved the target coupon policy to my favorites. It’s come in handy when I’ve had to deal with couponistas. It usually shuts them up when you put it right in front of them.

I printed out our price match and coupon policies from Workbench and keep them at Guest Service and SCO, so that if there's ever a problem I can just pull out the paper and hand it to the guest to read. Had to do this because a guest once demanded to see our policies "on paper" to "prove that we were telling the truth" to him.

If you are a dude and your Visa Card says, ""Peggy," I am not taking it. Do not pitch a fit. I don't give a damn. (That actually happened.) No words can come out of your mouth that I have not heard or said myself, so save it.

I have been the customer with this sort of thing. My husband and I keep separate checking accounts. If he doesn't want to go into a store or he doesn't want to leave home to go to the store he'll just hand me his card so I can buy it for him with his money. So there's a few times that sort of thing is legitimate.

What? We have a male TM with breasts called Jessica.

You won't take "his" card?

Yeah we use them. I like the idea of taping them over though lol. If for nothing more than to keep guests from putting trash in them or dropping their money in them thinking it was the bill acceptor.
They sent out a redwire ages ago, they’re all supposed to be taped up.

Ours aren’t taped up and people keep putting their gift cards down there which sucks when you have to void payments or anything like that :(

What? We have a male TM with breasts called Jessica.

You won't take "his" card?

I don't do a breast check. If Jessica has ID that says their name is Jessica, swipe away.

One of our best guests was a cross-dresser. He always looked better than I did. Great hair and make-up. We have all kinds of guests in CA. You can be non-binary on your driver's license now.

You can't use your husband's credit card if he's not there. Sorry.

Ours aren’t taped up and people keep putting their gift cards down there which sucks when you have to void payments or anything like that :(
“Sorry it’s your fault you tried to shove your stuff somewhere it didn’t belong....hope you only apply that approach with gift cards.....”

I would personally call the police and make a report. You don't know if they are after those guys for another reason, and they can subpoena Targets files.

I also would file an injury report so SO has to burn the tape.

Calling @HardlinesGuy @HardlinesFour @garbage @TallAPGuy and any another @AP folk.
This sounds like your area.
So far, your ETL-AP sounds like he has it covered. The other AP guys on here provided good answers as well. I really don’t have anything else to add, except for you could technically file it with LE as battery, but that’s up to you.
Target really need to get a central controller for the SCO like Walmart (and every other store) has so you can close the lane remotely.

Last edited:
We can't demand ID but AFAIK we can impose limits on dollar amounts of gift cards sold (no multiple transactions).

This is kind of off-topic, but I have questions about the gift card limits for both Target gift cards and gift cards from Disney/ITunes etc. I have had guests buy over $1,000 of Target gift cards, and another time, a guest bought over $1,000 of ITunes gift cards, and they got them at a substantial discount since there was a buy one get one 30% off sale for those Itunes gift cards.
For the Itunes gift cards, I checked with the GSTL at the time, and they approved the transactions (the guest bought 4 gift cards each in 3 separate transactions).

However, I am guessing this is a ASANTS issue but I am curious how you handled guests buying large amounts of gift cards and if you have denied multiple transactions for gift cards.

I apologize since this is off-topic but I would like to hear from you about this.

This is kind of off-topic, but I have questions about the gift card limits for both Target gift cards and gift cards from Disney/ITunes etc. I have had guests buy over $1,000 of Target gift cards, and another time, a guest bought over $1,000 of ITunes gift cards, and they got them at a substantial discount since there was a buy one get one 30% off sale for those Itunes gift cards.
For the Itunes gift cards, I checked with the GSTL at the time, and they approved the transactions (the guest bought 4 gift cards each in 3 separate transactions).

However, I am guessing this is a ASANTS issue but I am curious how you handled guests buying large amounts of gift cards and if you have denied multiple transactions for gift cards.

I apologize since this is off-topic but I would like to hear from you about this.
If it’s an older guest they were probably being scammed. If you see an older guest buying large amounts of GCs just say “just so you know, Target/iTunes/whatever gift cards CAN NEVER be used to pay taxes or in any way get someone out of jail or pay legal fees to do so”

This is a topic you should also ask your AP/ETL/GSTLs about as well, ASANTS can apply.

If guests look like they are buying a lot of gift cards, I deal with it the same way as guests with multiple coupon transactions. Scammers/resellers already will try to space the cards out over multiple transactions so that they never hit the limit. Once you can show them the register itself has a limit, they can't plead ignorance any longer.

"There is a limit to how many gift cards can be bought in one day. One that limit is reached we cannot do any more transactions."
If they argue or attempt to continue ask "Would you like to speak with my manager?" And call the GSTL over.

As Amanda mentions, older guests can sometimes be the victims of scams. The few times this has been a concern (and it has been very rare), I have discreetly, quietly and respectfully asked the guest "I'm just making sure, but do you personally know who you're giving these gift cards to?" Don't shout this out in the open and embarrass anyone by automatically assuming the worst case scenario. Who knows, maybe they buying gift cards for a lot of grandchildren!

Again, ask your team leads about this. If you're uncomfortable, ask to role-play situations with them.

This. So much.
Glad I’m not the only one who believes that!
I understand Target’s philosophy on why not to have one, to encourage better guest service by approaching each self-checkout and assisting the guests one-on-one. But what usually happens, is its much harder and more time consuming to assist guests (logging on and off each machine, having to watch every machines lights to see if someone needs assistance..etc etc.)

Sucks that someone grabbed you. That is extremely inappropriate and wrong. If only you knew this guy, he would have made sure those two pieces of shit would never bother you ever again.
raydonovan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back