Archived A few questions on different position options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. So, I just got hired for Target a few weeks ago and I applied for an Electronics position, interviewed for it, but offered to work in the Front End on the following day via phone after the second interview. Now, I don't mind this given that I still got my foot in the door and I have another job, but I wanted to verify some questions here instead of looking like I don't want the Front End position to a point that I won't be doing my best. So, with modernization, I understand that the idea is everyone is an "expert" in the area they work in. Now, if I wanted to cover an Electronics shift or Starbucks/Food Court position (as I already do that kind of work) to cross train either for when I want to move to Electronics or cover someone in the Food Court, is that even possible with the modernization and do I need to wait until my trial period of 90 days is up? And if I'm reading things correctly on here and reddit, I understand that after 90 days, I could potentially start to ask to be moved to Electronics (I won't as I'm planning on waiting until next year when I get through season instead). Is that going to be possible with all the changes at Target? I don't want to be stuck in Front End forever, but will still give it my all.

That’s going to be an ASANTS answer. Basically it depends on your Leadership and how well they’re running their businesses. If your store has a cafe ask to cover breaks and lunches over there. Usually nobody wants to so they might be relieved that someone is offering. Take advantage of learning something new every time you go over there. How long do you cook the chicken tenders? What about the pretzel bites? What temperature do the hot dogs have to be to sell? How long can they be on the roller before you have to toss them? If there is a call out offer to cover and ask the F&B TL to give you the guides to read over between guests.

As far as Electronics it’s going to depend on your store. Our Tech Consultants are all mobile trained so it would be harder to casually pick up a shift there. Take advantage of learning how to read shelf locations and peg locations while you’re upfront and you could be support help on key days during the holidays. Black Friday we need a minimum 10 people all working 8+ hour shifts to cover the department for the day. You can’t sell a contract phone but you can sell a video game. Show a desire to be there and a willingness to learn by doing to grunt work and the Leaders will notice. The more you can learn on your own there the more they’ll appreciate a having knowledgeable, flexible TM.

That’s going to be an ASANTS answer. Basically it depends on your Leadership and how well they’re running their businesses. If your store has a cafe ask to cover breaks and lunches over there. Usually nobody wants to so they might be relieved that someone is offering. Take advantage of learning something new every time you go over there. How long do you cook the chicken tenders? What about the pretzel bites? What temperature do the hot dogs have to be to sell? How long can they be on the roller before you have to toss them? If there is a call out offer to cover and ask the F&B TL to give you the guides to read over between guests.

As far as Electronics it’s going to depend on your store. Our Tech Consultants are all mobile trained so it would be harder to casually pick up a shift there. Take advantage of learning how to read shelf locations and peg locations while you’re upfront and you could be support help on key days during the holidays. Black Friday we need a minimum 10 people all working 8+ hour shifts to cover the department for the day. You can’t sell a contract phone but you can sell a video game. Show a desire to be there and a willingness to learn by doing to grunt work and the Leaders will notice. The more you can learn on your own there the more they’ll appreciate a having knowledgeable, flexible TM.
So, basically just be a hard worker during the first 90 days and offer to cover in areas that I'm more likely to be strong in for breaks? I personally feel like I wasn't given it partially because I was a bit nervous during the 2nd interview when doing the role play and this is my first major retail job as GameStop isn't big in terms of store size. I wanna think that the store manager wants me to learn the ropes of the POS system and help guests out at the front as they do need people there first instead of putting me in a specialty area of the store. I really don't mind being at the front end/cashiering as it is basically the bottom of the totem pole and I don't have much actual retail experience in terms of amount of months, I just hope I can move to where I interviewed for as that's where my main strength lies in and the store would greatly benefit me being back there instead. I guess I'll ask about the shift cover pick up next month or so once I'm a bit more relaxed with the store, employees, and policies. Also, how would I read the shelf and peg locations at the front end? I'm not supposed to move from that area, right?

The checklanes will have impulse buys (candy, batteries, small grab bag toys) so there is an opportunity to learn that. Mastering your work center is key to cross training. I know that’s kind of an ugly word right now with Modernization but making yourself valuable is what you’re after. There is always potential to work other departments and honestly it helps keep work fresh. Next week I’ll have my HR hours plus I’ll be working in SFS and GM. While I’m GM I know I’ll have to go up for code at some point so let’s just add Guest Sdvocate while we’re at it. If Tech (Tar-zhay term for Electronics) is where your heart lies chat up that TL and get on their good side. That way when Q4 rolls around and they need to hire the ~warm bodies~ you’ll be in a prime spot to support Tech and potentially transfer there. For the sake of full clarity - you can be bestest best friends with the TL but if you aren’t green in your work center you aren’t going anywhere. You have to be great, constantly friendly, not bitching about really any aspect of work (while at work - obvs), and most importantly someone who doesn’t call in or arrive late. You can clock in 5 minutes early so if you do that you’ll have time to get to the lanes and check in with the SETL to see where you’re going (an empty lane, relieve someone for a break, SCO, SD). Plus we actually get paid by the minute so take advantage of that 😁

The checklanes will have impulse buys (candy, batteries, small grab bag toys) so there is an opportunity to learn that. Mastering your work center is key to cross training. I know that’s kind of an ugly word right now with Modernization but making yourself valuable is what you’re after. There is always potential to work other departments and honestly it helps keep work fresh. Next week I’ll have my HR hours plus I’ll be working in SFS and GM. While I’m GM I know I’ll have to go up for code at some point so let’s just add Guest Sdvocate while we’re at it. If Tech (Tar-zhay term for Electronics) is where your heart lies chat up that TL and get on their good side. That way when Q4 rolls around and they need to hire the ~warm bodies~ you’ll be in a prime spot to support Tech and potentially transfer there. For the sake of full clarity - you can be bestest best friends with the TL but if you aren’t green in your work center you aren’t going anywhere. You have to be great, constantly friendly, not bitching about really any aspect of work (while at work - obvs), and most importantly someone who doesn’t call in or arrive late. You can clock in 5 minutes early so if you do that you’ll have time to get to the lanes and check in with the SETL to see where you’re going (an empty lane, relieve someone for a break, SCO, SD). Plus we actually get paid by the minute so take advantage of that 😁
Well, good news for the store, I always try to clock in 5 minutes early at my other job. Heck, with my transportation not being my own, if I'm opening at 8, I'm gonna be near the store almost 1 hour before they open haha. I'm pretty good at sales honestly and as long as all of the items on a shelf or area aren't moved over to a new spot overnight or after months or years of knowing where they are, I generally remember where everything goes. I'll still ask some questions at the orientation, but at least I know what not to ask at the current moment. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back