Archived A store operator's wish list...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJoe

"Can you go to 3, please?" *Turns off walkie*
I've been working more and more operator shifts lately, so I am starting to see some areas that could use improvement. Target loves to "simplify", so here are is one of my requests:

Treat phone calls like FAST calls. Operator answers the outside call. "Thanks for calling Target, CIHYFS?" and we go to park the call but instead of calling it out over the walkie it says in that familiar voice "Electronics has a call holding on *blank*, who is responding?" The operator would have a table of departments by the phone and would just park the call by typing in a 2-4 digit code (I hear some stores have lines like 2283 and stuff like that, we only have 33-36). When that call gets answered (just like we are used to doing already), it would clear the FAST response. Call response would be scored just like call buttons.

Sorry but not picking up a guest call promptly is a pet peeve of mine, especially when there is no accountability.

I've been working more and more operator shifts lately, so I am starting to see some areas that could use improvement. Target loves to "simplify", so here are is one of my requests:

Treat phone calls like FAST calls. Operator answers the outside call. "Thanks for calling Target, CIHYFS?" and we go to park the call but instead of calling it out over the walkie it says in that familiar voice "Electronics has a call holding on *blank*, who is responding?" The operator would have a table of departments by the phone and would just park the call by typing in a 2-4 digit code (I hear some stores have lines like 2283 and stuff like that, we only have 33-36). When that call gets answered (just like we are used to doing already), it would clear the FAST response. Call response would be scored just like call buttons.

Sorry but not picking up a guest call promptly is a pet peeve of mine, especially when there is no accountability.

That would only work in stores big enough to have someone manning every single department. I believe the "supers" do but ours does not. I get guest calls from time to time saying "can you transfer me to the bedding department?" or "can you transfer me to the furniture department?" Then I have to explain to the guest that we don't have anyone specifically stationed in furniture or bedding to answer their call but if they'll tell me what they're looking for I'll page a TM on the sales floor and have them go look. So, as nice as that sounds... it wouldn't work at my store. The only departments that have anyone in them all the time are electronics, market, and guest services.

every huddle that I am at I remind them that when I put a call on to be picked up by somebody else that a) I have done all I can for them and b) that if the call comes back to me that means it's been over 2 minutes (I have timed it during training)...and that's not fast or friendly. They have stopped making me call over the overhead (I do that after 2 walkie tries, at the 3 minute mark). Often calls come back when I try to put it through a specific section (electronics, receiving and guest services) so then they know I am pissed when I have to put it on hold for them

NOOOOOOO! Are you frigging kidding me? We are a high volume but not a super, there were TWO people on the sales floor today. The lazy guests need to get out of their pj's and off the couch and come in to the store because I am busy helping 5 guests who are standing in front of me and can't be in 2 places at once. Ever worked the sales floor in a busy store on a skeleton crew JustJoe? I doubt it.

It is suggested to look at today's schedule, there may gaps with only 1 or 2 Salesfloor tl/tm's in hardlines. Be patient, get all info to help us out. We could be on backup for the front end.

That system sounds neat but it wouldn't work with our skeleton crew. I work at a super target and we are insanely busy. In hardlines we only have 1 person throughout the day (sometimes 0) then we have 2 closers. I have days where calls pile up on me or I finish one and answer another. Our Electronics TMs are responsible for MMB, Electronics, Toys, Sporting Goods, Home Improvement, and Automotive. The thing is we only have 1 electronics TM at a time. Just yesterday one of our TMs got 3 phone calls at the same time.
"Sporting goods you have a phone call on 8-0, Electronics you have a call on 8-1, Toys you have a phone call on 8-2"

I do agree that TMs should really try to answer the phone calls ASAP, but sometimes it's not possible. Busy on back-up, another phone call, helping a guest, break/lunch, etc.
I really do like your idea, but I think it would just give us another red score to worry about.

I would not want to be the one to tell the guest I am helping..."Yeah, sorry you were here first, but I have to stop and answer the phone of the person who didn't feel like actually coming to the store."

I do service desk, so I get the frustration of putting people on hold over and over again. But that's because other departments need to help out when someone says, "I can't get that call." Sometimes someone will just have to step out of softlines to take that hardlines call. I did it the other day, only to have to run clear across the store and back to grab a PDA, but sometimes it's what we have to do to help each other out.

I will say, my biggest pet peeve? When I call out, "Softlines RTW (or whatever dept) you have a phone call on 2280. Softlines RTW 2280." Exactly like that, and two seconds later they call back, "what line is that on?" Seriously? I just said it twice...it isn't difficult.

Sorry but I may be in the minority here, but flesh and blood guests in the store get my attention first. Sometimes that may mean the person doing their shopping by phone may have to wait. With 3 people total (including electronics) in a SuperT that is reality. I hate when the operator says "this call has come back 3 times now". I would appreciate it if the operator knows how short staffed the store is, to ask the guest if there is something they can help them with. I can't even begin to tell you how many times the phone call is something simple like do we have red white and blue m&ms or do we have sparklers. Those kinds of calls can easily be fielded by the operator. The plain and simple fact is we do not have enough people to provide immediate service to people who think we should drop helping guests who have come into the store to answer their shop by phone questions.

Sometimes as silly as it sounds we may have been talking to another guest and did not hear what line the call was on.

Babytree, you do know that you can ask the guest what they need and then ask over the walker right? A majority of the time we know the answer and can relay it over the walkie to save everyone time. Some work centers are so spoiled.

Sometimes as silly as it sounds we may have been talking to another guest and did not hear what line the call was on.

Every. single. time? Really? I honestly doubt it happens every time I do a call out for a phone call.

And the operator does know how short staffed the store is. The operator also knows that someone else from a different department (or God forbid the LOD) could actually take the phone call and help out. The operator is also the one listening to the person on the other side of the line get very angry. And the question is rarely do you have product "x?" It's always "well, exactly how many do you have? What's the price? Can you put that on hold for me?" So even if I know we have the item (keep in mind I don't have inventory levels memorized) I still can't answer the following questions.

Please stop acting like operator is a complicated job. Since I have moved to pricing, I work softlines on the weekends, including operator. I am telling you right now, it's a ****ing cakewalk. In fact, it's one of the easiest positions in the store.

Please stop acting like operator is a complicated job. Since I have moved to pricing, I work softlines on the weekends, including operator. I am telling you right now, it's a ****ing cakewalk. In fact, it's one of the easiest positions in the store.

You're right, it's not complicated. It is, however, quite frustrating at times. There are times where I wish that clerical would take calls when they are sitting in TSC, but that doesn't happen. Yesterday it was 2 salesfloor (1 HL, 1 market), 4 calls on hold, 3 ETLs in the building, and cart upon cart of reshops because nobody grabbed them from guest service all morning. Oh, and my ETL wanted me to do chargebacks on a bunch of open package/missing pieces stuff. All simple work, but it gets exponentially more difficult when it piles up.

Complicated, no. Mega stressful, yes. If you're great at multi-tasking, have lots of patience, and are good at taking everything in stride then this is definitely the job for you. If you aren't any of the above... you'll be screwed on those days when all hell breaks loose; and that's not to say there aren't those easy peasy days in the mix. But when all hell does break loose you'll have: 3 or 4 calls on hold; no TMs answering your cries for help on the floor; guests lining up to use the fitting room; your LOD wanting you to call in TMs to work and all while the fitting room discards are piling higher and higher next to your desk because you're too busy on the phone.

And for those of you who mentioned TMs on the floor being stretched thin over several departments, I do get it. It would just be nice if those few TMs would be kind enough to pick up their walkie and say "Be with you in a minute, helping a guest right now".... at least you know someone heard you.

And for those of you who mentioned TMs on the floor being stretched thin over several departments, I do get it. It would just be nice if those few TMs would be kind enough to pick up their walkie and say "Be with you in a minute, helping a guest right now".... at least you know someone heard you.

Reasonable request

Babytree, you do know that you can ask the guest what they need and then ask over the walker right? A majority of the time we know the answer and can relay it over the walkie to save everyone time. Some work centers are so spoiled.

When I say that I have done all I can that means a) like tonight I went over to the area (multiple times to shoes or IHL) to make sure we have/ or don't have the item or b) that I have absolutely no idea what the heck they are talking about....I can tell a guest (usually better than other sales floor team members) what we do or don't sell. But there are times when they are looking for a specific game, bedding set, other items that I can't.

And I will answer back to you with a question....You do know that I have to answer the phone, count garments, answer the walkie, overhead things, answer guest questions in real life, often 3 of these things at the same time?

Complicated, no. Mega stressful, yes. If you're great at multi-tasking, have lots of patience, and are good at taking everything in stride then this is definitely the job for you. If you aren't any of the above... you'll be screwed on those days when all hell breaks loose; and that's not to say there aren't those easy peasy days in the mix. But when all hell does break loose you'll have: 3 or 4 calls on hold; no TMs answering your cries for help on the floor; guests lining up to use the fitting room; your LOD wanting you to call in TMs to work and all while the fitting room discards are piling higher and higher next to your desk because you're too busy on the phone.

sorry I didn't see this until I had answered....but I don't know that I have had an easy peasy shift in a very long, long time. Add to the mix that we aren't supposed to have z-racks at the fitting room during the week so I've got crazy amount of carts swarming the fitting room without guest carts.

When they cut hrs and do not have many TMs it isn't easy to answer calls in a timely manner sometimes especially when you are over in sporting goods and they need you to answer a pet call and at the time you are with a guest can anyone answer the pets call?? No answer..... So and So is on break..... Can you get it?? I finish up with the guest and by that time I am sure it has rung back to the operator....... It happens when you are light on the sales floor we really try!

When they cut hrs and do not have many TMs it isn't easy to answer calls in a timely manner sometimes especially when you are over in sporting goods and they need you to answer a pet call and at the time you are with a guest can anyone answer the pets call?? No answer..... So and So is on break..... Can you get it?? I finish up with the guest and by that time I am sure it has rung back to the operator....... It happens when you are light on the sales floor we really try!

most of the operators get this...the sales floor is trying and most of the operators are trying (I know a couple of ours don't...they just keep parking the calls)...we've got to work together.
One of my biggest pet peeves is hearing that the FRO is the easiest job in the store.

Yeah I get irritated when I get calls that could have been answered by the operator.
"Stationary you have a phone call on 8-2"
*darts to the opposite side of the store*
"Hello, what can I help you with?"
"uh yes hello? is this ah the craft section? do you guys sell yarn?"
:dash1:

Or when the operator isn't specific about which section the phone call is in.
"Hardlines you have a phone call on 8-0"
"Which part of Hardlines?"
*silence*
I'm only one person you fckoing shet

I picked up the phone for the operator yesterday because they were busy. The guest was looking for yellow swimming pool noodles. Now, how in the world does one know if we have them (I haven't been paying attention to the colors we sell), and how many, and at what price without going over there and looking? Being the GSA and incredibly short staffed at that moment (and about to get worse as I was to find out) all I could do was call back that info to someone close to sporting goods for them to pick up the call. Sure, they can go get all that info and relay it to me, but it's just as fast to grab the phone call and tell the guest yourself...especially when you have to haul them all up to the service desk to put on them on hold.

Answering the phone isn't difficult...it's just a pain sometimes...and we're doing our best to work with you with what information we are able to get out of the guest (which is usually their entire life story and very little about the product they need to fit into that story).

sorry I didn't see this until I had answered....but I don't know that I have had an easy peasy shift in a very long, long time. Add to the mix that we aren't supposed to have z-racks at the fitting room during the week so I've got crazy amount of carts swarming the fitting room without guest carts.

We are allowed one z-rack at the fitting room. It's what we hang the clothes on. How do you do your job if you can't hang up the clothes? Or am I misunderstanding? I do think someone said something about the new stores having a different fixture to hang clothes on but I'm not sure. Ours still uses the double z-rack which is pushed back into a recessed area that was made for it.

We are allowed one z-rack at the fitting room. It's what we hang the clothes on. How do you do your job if you can't hang up the clothes? Or am I misunderstanding? I do think someone said something about the new stores having a different fixture to hang clothes on but I'm not sure. Ours still uses the double z-rack which is pushed back into a recessed area that was made for it.

You drape them over each other in shopping baskets until the piles are over your head. Then you hope the LOD comes by, takes pity on the situation, and allows you to bring in a z-rack for a bit to help straighten out the disaster.

Yeah I get irritated when I get calls that could have been answered by the operator.
"Stationary you have a phone call on 8-2"
*darts to the opposite side of the store*
"Hello, what can I help you with?"
"uh yes hello? is this ah the craft section? do you guys sell yarn?"
:dash1:

Or when the operator isn't specific about which section the phone call is in.
"Hardlines you have a phone call on 8-0"
"Which part of Hardlines?"
*silence*
I'm only one person you fckoing shet

This is why when we train new operators on how to answer the phone we teach them to get every bit of info they can in order to reduce the time wasted trying to help that guest. I usually say something like "Team this is the operator. I need assistance in domestics with a furniture item for a guest on the phone. I have a dpci if you need one. Who can help me?" Then whoever is closest to furniture will say "operator, I'm heading for furniture, what are we looking for?" and then I can give them a description of the item while they are on the way. IF and I do mean IF I'm lucky enough to have a dpci and a pda I'll even let them know the aisle they can find the item on and the shelf location. If not I'll wait for them to tell me they're ready for the dpci. This way we can do a visual and pull the item if the guest wants it on hold. In my case, though, I've worked enough sales floor to know what makes it easier when you're on the floor. And in SL we don't need that dang dpci off the bat. We only use it for verification. What we need is brand name and description and size.... Love it when the OP goes "Team this is the operator, I need some help locating a medium sized woman's shirt. Can someone help me? I've got the dpci..." Srsly? I don't want your dpci till I can narrow down the options. Geez...

You drape them over each other in shopping baskets until the piles are over your head. Then you hope the LOD comes by, takes pity on the situation, and allows you to bring in a z-rack for a bit to help straighten out the disaster.

How in the hell can that be BP? Does your fitting room not have an area where a z-rack would sit? ><

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back