Archived About Hardswork...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi..

I just finished my higher school certificate and recently obtained a job at target, I wanted to know the following:

*What exactly will my tasks involve (hardswork - floorwork)?

AND

I've so far only had an induction day, was i meant to learn everything on that day? Because the store operations manager was explaining how to use the telephone system but i forgot hehe... will i actually be trained on how to use it OR was i meant to learn on that 3hour day induction day?

Thankyou for your advice.

Welcome to Spot!

You definitely aren't expected to remember the phones after what sounds like an orientation. I always tell my trainees that it's a lot of information and that I absolutely don't expect them to remember it all. TMs usually have 6-8 4-hour training shifts, spread over a two-week period. Most TMs learn the basics after only two or three, though. You'll be paired with another TM in your workcenter that has above-average performance, and they'll show you the ropes and answer any questions you have. After you're pretty confident in things, you won't be paired with a trainer anymore, and will work on your own.

Are you salesfloor? From what you said, it sounds like you'll be working in hardlines (anything that isn't clothing -- clothing is called softlines), so you'll spend your days pushing product to the floor, zoning, and (most importantly) answering calling buttons and helping guests. You'll probably crosstrain as a cashier, and you'll have to respond to calls for back-up cashiers.

Welcome to Spot!

You definitely aren't expected to remember the phones after what sounds like an orientation. I always tell my trainees that it's a lot of information and that I absolutely don't expect them to remember it all. TMs usually have 6-8 4-hour training shifts, spread over a two-week period. Most TMs learn the basics after only two or three, though. You'll be paired with another TM in your workcenter that has above-average performance, and they'll show you the ropes and answer any questions you have. After you're pretty confident in things, you won't be paired with a trainer anymore, and will work on your own.

Are you salesfloor? From what you said, it sounds like you'll be working in hardlines (anything that isn't clothing -- clothing is called softlines), so you'll spend your days pushing product to the floor, zoning, and (most importantly) answering calling buttons and helping guests. You'll probably crosstrain as a cashier, and you'll have to respond to calls for back-up cashiers.

Thanks Sam
I am working in the toys and homeware section, what do you mean by answering call buttons ? will i be given a portable device for other employees to contact me? Does the handheld vibrate or is there a tone? what might be the reasons for someone to call me?

There are buttons through the store that guests can press when they need help. When they press this button, a voice will go over the walkies and said "Fast service needed in [insert department]. Who is responding?" Most salesfloor TMs have walkies, so when you hear this, you say over the walkie that you're responding to the button, then you walk to the area, reset the button, and help the guest. Guests will need all sorts of stuff: where to find something, do you have more in the back, I can't find a price scanner, etc. If your store is large enough that you ONLY work in toys and housewares, then you would only answer those buttons. My store is small enough and we have few enough people that anyone can answer any button at any time, though obviously you want the closest people answering them, since it'll provide faster service.

Depending on the store, you may also have a PDA or LDPA during your shift. PDAs can do far too much for me to list everything, but usually salesfloor TMs use them to check prices, find items, and see if there's more of something in the back. You can also check inventory at other stores on them. Not all stores have enough PDAs for all TMs to have them (priority always goes to those who cannot do their jobs without them, such as backroom, pricing, and instocks), so you may not always have one. At my store, usually no one on salesfloor gets a PDA until all of the early morning people leave.

You may also have to answer phone calls, using the red phones available at spill stations. Directions for using these phones are located on the inside of the spill station door.

Also, my name is Danielle. :)

AH okay thanks Danielle, i should just cut to the chase with all my questions now that you're available hehe...
1) I'm a casual worker, why do i have a roster? I thought casual is when the employer calls you only when needed.
2) The manager gave me a form to fill out to order my uniform, I don't have a fax and the "money order" method will take longer. Am i meant to lend the form back to the manager for him/her to fax it? Or is it my responsibility ?
3)If a customer asks me where a product is located, am i meant to take him/her there or just point the direction?

1) Target doesn't have on-call TMs. You'll probably get 15-25 hours a week, but you'll definitely have a set schedule each week. We know roughly what our workload will be each day, based on past sales data, so we're able to schedule two weeks in advance. Sometimes, you may get called in to cover a shift if someone calls in, or if it's extremely busy and they didn't anticipate it (for example, sometimes my store will get huge buses of people, because we're less than two minutes from an interstate exit). Since you're salesfloor, your shifts may be all over the place (some nights, some mornings, most weekends).

2) You're at a regular Target store, correct? What in the world do they want you to order? This has never happened at my store, so maybe another poster can shed light on this.

3) In theory, you should always walk them there, but this isn't feasible in practice. If the guest is old or the item is close, I'll usually walk them there. If it's far away or they're youngish (aka not as likely to get lost), I'll ask them if they want me to walk them there or just point them in the right direction. Usually they just want to be pointed in the right direction. It helps if you know what items are near it and then tell the guest (for example, in my store toothpaste is right before air fresheners, so if they know that and then see air fresheners, they know they've gone too far). If it's slow, I'm more likely to walk them there. Also, studies have shown that the more time someone spends helping a guest, the more they'll spend, so that's something to keep in mind.

I worked on the salesfloor for quite a while (and do now, although I do a different job than what you'll be doing), so I can probably answering anything else you throw at me. :)

Whoa thanks for a great response Danielle !
for Q2,
The manager gave me a form to fill out to order my TARGET uniform from another state (since I'm a new worker and they don't have a set of spare target clothes to give me), I don't have a fax and the "money order" method will take longer. Am i meant to lend the form back to the manager for him/her to fax it? Or is it my responsibility ?

So, it sounds like you were hired for Target, but in Australia. This forum is for the American company. There is no relation, other than the name.

Sorry!

Well, I guess the only part of my advice that still applies is the thing about walking people to the items they're looking for when possible. But good luck anyways!

correct!

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 25
I was getting the same feeling. The OP was mentioning Hardwork, Higher School Certificate, manager, uniform...I was beginning to wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back