Archived About teamleads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you guys deal with team leads, that have their etl in their pocket (I mean by this, that the etl doesn't keep anything confidential if you talk bad about these tls and will tell them immediately about what you said to him.) And that set you up for failure because they do not want to waste time training? Like for example, I was a plano team member, just got back into it after only being trained for 2 weeks like 7 months ago. I was thrown into the fray with barely any training just told to do aisle after aisle. My then fellow teammates, instead of helping a new guy out. They would just talk bad about me, saying I would disappear for a while (I would disappear, to go to the fixture to find the things I needed on the plano all by myself and when I would ask for help they just said that it should be in this area, like I have been working at this store for years.) and that I talk to much. I guess saying hi to people and asking them how they are doing is talking to much. Oh and god forbid a guest would walk up and I would have to spend a few minutes helping them, because you know I am talking to them too much. And here is the best kicker, we just had a electronics flow team member leave. So they think that apparently slow plano team member is the best choice for that position. The source I got was that when someone asked them, why would you do that to the poor guy, they just smiled and walked on. So what is your guys take on this situation?

OK, not sure what you're looking for.
You wanted to complain to an ETL about the PTL for not giving you enough training and they talked to the PTL?
This was because the PTL was riding you for being too slow and seeming to disappear but you're moving to electronics?
I'm confused.

No. I never complained or anything. My question is, what should I do? I worked hard and I worked fast. I know that if I complain, because I have been watching how this store is run. That nothing will be done. They expected me to know everything when I explicitly told them when they hired me. I only had like a week and a half of training last time I did planogram, an then I was door guard for a remodel the rest of the 3 months. They didn't retrain me or anything, just had someone do a plano with me for like a week then left me alone.

it will take time for you to rebuild your reputation with your team (whether it's fair or not). whatever you've done to give them the impression that you aren't being productive will stick around for a while. you need to get honest feedback from your etl or tl about why you team feels that way. don't rely on a "source" that isn't your ETL, PTL, or PTMs. if you feel as though you are being seriously harassed, talk to hr.

your story could actually describe one of my tm. he felt the team was constantly picking on him because he wasn't productive. truthfully, he was depressed due to major life changes, and it impacted his work. he also never received the training he needed (the "book" way to pog vs. the "realistic" way to pog), so he was slower than the veterans. when i arrived, they were picking on him, bordering harassment, and the team was encouraged to do so by their team leader because the tl couldn't hold the tm accountable and wanted him to quit. i spoke with the tm on his collaboration and attitude and gave him very blunt feedback about pace and his peers. i also told him how the leadership team viewed him, as well as other workcenters. i spoke to the rest of the team as well about collaboration and my expectations. anyone caught being "rude" was coached. we kid around and give each other a hard time, but when it crosses a line, they will be written up. sometimes the tm did bring it upon himself because of his assumption the team was talking about him, or his rude responses in kind. either way, both parties were extremely sensitive around each other and rarely spoke. during our monthly chat, we spoke as a group and did a team building activity focusing on each others' strengths. i personally worked with the tm and we met biweekly to discuss how he was feeling and how the team was doing and worked on his training. rather than ignoring, i coached and made it a point for him to know that no one leaves my team unless it is for greener pastures. it took almost a year, a tm term, lots of tlc, and him hating me a good chunk of that time, but now he is one of the best tm on our team, and i'm very proud of him for making the decision to be proactive and change his outlook rather than making excuses. it is a very difficult thing to do.

on the other side, it's not fair for you not to talk to your tl like an adult. it is just as awful for you to go to the etl and bad mouth the tl as it is for them to smile at you working the boat. talk to them face to face about your issues. bring another tl/etl/stl/hr into the conversation if you are uncomfortable. let your tl know you realize you are viewed in this manner, but you want to ensure they realize all that you do. tell them you have not received the training you need to be successful, and you feel your peers are not being collaborative. i would personally speak with the etl first, and ask that when you are done the tl be brought into the office with the conversation if it's serious. however, gossip is gossip, and it will not help your situation.

The thing is dek, I have asked for help from my tl, and I asked for help from the former team lead. My current one, when I asked him how to help increase my speed. His response word for word. Was, "Do not worry, you are doing fine. To get faster you just need more time and because of the department running out of hours right now, it isnt fair for you. But with more time you become faster." An then out of the blue, he gives me all the hard planograms, like baby toiletries and so on and so forth then complains that I am not going fast enough and during this time. We hired a new team member and he is received so far about 2-3 weeks worth of training, whereas I, was just accompanied and told to just get it done. I have done everything I can, and I felt I was actually getting faster and I was. But this info I got, came from someone that sat next to him and the flow tl during lunch and everything he has told me so far hasn't been a lie. He told me a few weeks before I was going to be transferred over to his job because he is quitting soon.

So they seem to want you out of plano and may be shifting you over to electronics?
Whiles it sucks that it seems like they set you up to fail would you be happier in another department or is the transfer something you don't want?
And if they do transfer you I would make sure they train you properly so they can't play games with you again.

Well it isnt electronics, it is flow team but I am doing the electronics flow, basically the one job in the whole store in which you have to be faster than everyone else. That was what had confused me and the guy told me, he was the one who asked the question why are they sending me there, that they want me gone but want to seem like the good guys. They are training me and showing me what to do, but I just have a feeling they are trying to set me up. So what can I do to cover my but if they try anything?

To op: one of my team members feels the same unhappiness with me as tl.. Is always talking to etls and other tms about it. Etls share that info with me not to betray her trust but to help me with my development and to help me manage talent. The one thing I wish she would do differently is talk to me adult to adult, in a positive and respectful way of course, about why she feels that way so that I might help her to be happier on my team and to become a better tl. All her anger and inappropriate behavior does is upset everyone and she gets documented. It makes me sad, honestly. She's otherwise a great asset to the team but I don't always know how to help her. Try to remember your tls are people like you, with their own opps and struggles. They stand to gain nothing if they can't keep people on their team or lead through their teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back