Accruing PTO

What do your average hours have to be to accrue PTO?

Wouldn't that be added automatically?

A couple of TMs I know aren't getting it.

What about any BACK PTO?

It's possibly they have hit their Annual Accrual or Maximum Accrual.

I don't believe that they have been getting it all.

If you don't hit the minimum of 20 hours a week do you even accrue it or is it just the average?

Vacation is not accrued off of average hours, it is based off hours worked. So if someone worked less than 20 hours in a week they would not earn vacation from that week. Vacation time is considered a gratuity for working; if you don't work the hours within the parameters of earning it, you don't get it.

I'm pretty sure that vacation eligibility is figured out at the same time that other benefit eligibility is assessed (when you are first eligible and then at the beginning of every year). Then, once you are eligible for the year, you earn a certain portion of an hour per hour worked (see the chart previously posted). If you aren't earning vacation, you may not have had enough average hours when it was calculated in January 2023.

"If you aren't earning vacation, you may not have had enough average hours when it was calculated in January 2023."

So if you worked less than 20 hours a week in 2022 you would get NO PTO.

However if you average 35 hours a week in 2023 you still would not accrue PTO until January 2024?

So if you worked less than 20 hours a week in 2022 you would get NO PTO.

However if you average 35 hours a week in 2023 you still would not accrue PTO until January 2024?
I could be wrong, but it likely goes based on the benefit year which starts at the beginning of April. HROC would know for sure though.

I could be wrong, but it likely goes based on the benefit year which starts at the beginning of April. HROC would know for sure though.
So if you started at the beginning of the benefit year you might have to wait almost a whole year to get any PTO?.

Last edited:
So if you started at the beginning of the benefit year you might have to wait almost a whole year to get any PTO?.
I honestly am not 100% sure about when someone initially is eligible (like when you first start with the company). I just know that other benefits are determined on a yearly basis in January for existing team members. So if I had been employed for 5 years and in January had enough hours to qualify for medical benefits when they calculate it in January, I would be able to sign up for medical insurance which would be effective April 1st. I would assume the same would hold true for other benefits like vacation accrual.

Back