Archived ADSD/McLane Accumulator Process Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
The background: I am a P93 ULV non-Pfresh and non-remodled store. No FDC deliveries, only ADSD McClane twice a week that are auto-ordered by the system. Our current routine for McClane deliveries includes pushing all the delivered product immediately from the dock to the sales floor coolers/freezers. This requires every TM and Leader in the building to help push to ensure the product gets back into a temperature controlled environment on time.

My back room cooler is a 12 x 4 foot elevated room with a 6 x 4 foot freezer closet attached behind the cooler. There is NO space for back stock in the freezers and we regularly run out of location space. I can temporarily locate a tub for Case packs but we receive too much product to fit both in our sales floor and back room coolers SAFELY. For example, I can only fit 6 tubs of CoolWhip in the SF Freezer location so I don't need to maintain an OH of 50 in my back room freezer.

I MySupported a request to reduce our OH. Reply from MySupport Employee who secretly works for Walmart is that there is no way to adjust the amount of products shipped through ADSD vendors. Minimum contract requirements have to be fulfilled between Target and McLane to make logistics more efficient.

I MySupported a request to change the triggers and caps for the system generated auto-orders. Target India replied that I needed to maintain better routines to streamline my process. I replied this was unacceptable and the request was forwarded to the ADSD gods at Target Corp who replied Target is unable to change the information sent to McLane after the system auto-orders. I tried to reply that my question was not answered but never received a response (6 months ago). I tried to keep our FBP and GBP in the loop through CC'ed emails but we have rotated through that leadership twice since last summer.

I asked the CTL and ETL-SF to try Best Practice and create an Autofill a few hours before McLane arrives and I would pull the batch and help push. Unfortunately, the CTL didn't understand that doing this will a) adjust the accumulator so my afternoon BR guy isn't re-pulling all the new product that already went to the Sales Floor from the initial push; b) since we push the new product straight from the dock to the Sales Floor, new product is by-passing older product that is still sitting in my back room and pushing a pre-delivery Autofill would pull and fill the coolers/freezers with older dated product, thus, helping his Freshness opportunities; c) if the SF is more full before the delivery, less new product will go to the floor, reducing the amount of time needed to pull EVERYONE in the store during busiest time of day. The ETL-SF squashed it because the extra half hour for the CTL to shoot and push the Autofill is not available in their routines.

I have asked the TMs pushing McLane to only break open a carton if the entire box will fit into the SF location. Otherwise, I ask them to back stock the case pack as it is easier to manage in the back room.

THE QUESTION:

I know when we acknowledge a DC truck, it updates the store's OH. I also understand that if the accumulator has + numbers that it will prompt the Flow team to PUSH instead of back stock when it comes off the truck.

My question is that does receiving our ADSD delivery in the PDA affect the accumulator? I understand it obviously adjust the store's OH but without the PUSH process to separate out what is needed and not needed by the accumulator, doesn't this create more work in the long run?

FDC and newer/remodeled stores have the cooler freezers that are big enough (and not elevated off the floor with a nearly impossible ramp to push tubs/flat up) to push their temp sensitive items straight into and back stock. That isn't an option for me unless I find a few hours of non-existant payroll to dedicate a TM to back stocking the delivery as soon as it arrives. But with a 4 hour window of delivery time, scheduling a TM would be too difficult and I don't believe they could back stock 2-3 flats of cooler and 1-2 flats of freezer product in 30 minutes or less before temp problems start.

Anyone remember a Best Practice or something on WB stating that it was a huge and unproductive NO NO to skip the PUSH scan coming off the truck and send all the flow to the floor? It seems this is what my store is forced into doing. So, if we push the ADSD delivery straight to the floor, the accumulator is not affected. Doesn't this result in most of the stuff we back stock coming right back out in the next CAF or AUTO until the accumulator is satisfied? The entire CAF or AUTO pull after back stocking the delivery would be pointless because we just filled the floor with the new product.

I know I could SUBT9999 the back stock after the delivery is pushed to the Sales Floor, but this would eat through too much time that we just don't have.

Any ideas?

P93?! Non-pfresh?! Non-remodeled?! ULV?!?!?!

First and foremost, I am so sorry that you have to work in that kind of environment.

P93?! Non-pfresh?! Non-remodeled?! ULV?!?!?!

First and foremost, I am so sorry that you have to work in that kind of environment.

I don't know what year we are, but that sounds like my store....Welcome to the world of ULV where the remodel is always put back one more quarter, until they just say "never mind."

Rumor from mentor and peers at other Super Ts in the area is that ULV are the Vietnam tours of a Target career. What is this fictional "payroll" I hear other stores have? At least we got the Starbucks upgrade although I do miss the Target Cafe cookies hot out of the oven.

When I used to be a CTL and closed every Saturday night and Sunday morning ad, it was me, the electronics TM, and the fitting room/operator with the opening LOD from 9am (after ad team left) to 2:30 when closing LOD and Team started trickling in. BR TM pulled the autos and pushed them until 10a and AP never works Sundays. I don't miss those times I had to set Sales Planners all Sunday while covering most of the SF. Makes me appreciate the move to the Backroom.

I don't work Sunday mornings, so I can't speak to salesfloor coverage then...but I suspect ours runs about the same.

Mike reading your post took me back in time like 2 years ago. I think our store's dimensions of the freezer and cooler sound exactly the same. I do have some advice to pass down to you but, I'll tell you know that my problems weren't all solved till our store switched to the FDC system. 1) Make sure your instocks team gets correct counts on the product that is out on the sales floor. If something is off the need to update the numbers so you wont get a crap of stuff you don't need. 2) You need to get everything located(back stocked) in your freezer/fridge. There was plenty of time i did not have room on the shelfs, but you have to get it located so the system knows its there and your instocks doesnt make things worse. My fix for this was to make a location for that tub you say can fit inside the freezer. Mine was 01F200A01. You're going to have to bust out the portable printer to make UPC labels for the full cases to make them easier to locate and pull during the Caf/Autofill process. 3) This is kinda important, Stay on top of your STL or whoever you have to. Don't make them think the problem is fixed. If they send you a crazy amount of product, usually right before a freezer endcap gets switched, take a photo and send it to your boss. Show them how crazy the amount of product they send you is. 4) Short dates. This is probably wont help too much since froozen has such a long expiration date but, if you notice alot a product going to go out of date in 3 months try and get your store to TPC the product to sell it faster.
I know the SUBT 9999 thing is a pain in the butt. I would just let your team know that the cooler/freezer is going to have some crazy numbers today and just burn those batches. If you burn something the would go out then that is what Instocks is for. They are your safety net.
If you stay on top of it and make sure these things are done it should help a bit, but it wont fix all your problems. Atleast know that other people have gone through the same thing. FDC didnt solve my problems over night but, it did make them better over time to where the other day i asked my STL if there was a way to get more frozen product in. Hop this helped in some way. I'm sure you've had this told to you already.

resubmit your isses to mysupport and cc your stl. have your stl be the contact person to push it through to the fbp and group. they have more clout and if they mysupport it, it will get a response. mysupport is never helpful with food. keep at it. took me 2 years to get a real answer.
the upshipment of sale items (smart ones, for example) will never get better. there is no way to affect it unless your etl/stl submits a formal request to downsize. if you request it, you will get a runaround. once it is put into the works (usually after the gbp gets involved), it still takes about 3 months for everything to get corrected in the system.
coming from an old as dirt ULV originally, i feel your pain. there were times we actually had to create a location on a vehicle just to be able to locate all the backstock. took me years to get it under control. i purged the backroom myself (took a couple of days) and backstocked everything myself. correct all the on hands. dropped exfs/autofills the day before every truck (our truck got there super early on delivery days). this kept everything rotated. got the buy in of the etllog to have backroom scheduled 1 extra person to help me push and bs. after a few weeks, things leveled out. once your onhands are correct, other than ad items, your process will be a lot smoother. less than six months after we got it almost perfected, we swapped to the fdc. better onhands, crap dates and quality. a whole new ballgame.

Your assumption is right though. The accumulator values aren't updated for ADSD receipts. Only when the PUSH application has been run are accumulator values changed, which is why (in perfect theory) items that come off a RDC/FDC truck won't be called for in the day's autofills. Unfortunately since your food comes off McLane, you miss out on that benefit.

When items are received through ADSD/RECV, all it does is update OH's and process the financial information.

Mike reading your post took me back in time like 2 years ago. I think our store's dimensions of the freezer and cooler sound exactly the same. I do have some advice to pass down to you but, I'll tell you know that my problems weren't all solved till our store switched to the FDC system. 1) Make sure your instocks team gets correct counts on the product that is out on the sales floor. If something is off the need to update the numbers so you wont get a crap of stuff you don't need. 2) You need to get everything located(back stocked) in your freezer/fridge. There was plenty of time i did not have room on the shelfs, but you have to get it located so the system knows its there and your instocks doesnt make things worse. My fix for this was to make a location for that tub you say can fit inside the freezer. Mine was 01F200A01. You're going to have to bust out the portable printer to make UPC labels for the full cases to make them easier to locate and pull during the Caf/Autofill process. 3) This is kinda important, Stay on top of your STL or whoever you have to. Don't make them think the problem is fixed. If they send you a crazy amount of product, usually right before a freezer endcap gets switched, take a photo and send it to your boss. Show them how crazy the amount of product they send you is. 4) Short dates. This is probably wont help too much since froozen has such a long expiration date but, if you notice alot a product going to go out of date in 3 months try and get your store to TPC the product to sell it faster.
I know the SUBT 9999 thing is a pain in the butt. I would just let your team know that the cooler/freezer is going to have some crazy numbers today and just burn those batches. If you burn something the would go out then that is what Instocks is for. They are your safety net.
If you stay on top of it and make sure these things are done it should help a bit, but it wont fix all your problems. Atleast know that other people have gone through the same thing. FDC didnt solve my problems over night but, it did make them better over time to where the other day i asked my STL if there was a way to get more frozen product in. Hop this helped in some way. I'm sure you've had this told to you already.

Thanks for the detailed response. It helps to know that other stores have made it through this and that there is the possibility of correcting it. A few follow-ups:
1) I am a BR/Instocks TL so I do the cooler/freezers personally once a week with Stand Alone RSCH. Our store is a test store that only does RIGs with the exclamation point and stand alone for about an hour each morning. So I am sure the counts are correct. I have also been the only person pulling and back stocking for the last month. I have been asking TMs to burn frozen batches on the weekend when I am not there as we never sell enough of anything in the freezer to create outs with BR locations in two days. After having 50 eaches of frozen boneless skinless chicken come in last week when we have a capacity of 5 and 25 OH, I knew I had to ask the Breakroom community for help.
2) I have made sure the freezer and cooler is back stocked by myself within a few hours after delivery. I do the labels for the candy and frozen at the same time. I have pulled the case pack shelf from the cooler and rolled into the freezer for extra space which has helped but now most of my cooler case packs are located on the low aluminum shelf and looks kind of messy.
3) Your advice is similar to what the STL and ETL-LOG came up with Friday before I left, which was to pull out the phone and take/email pictures when it went crazy. They also said they would back me on forcing credits from the McLane driver for ridiculously high numbers coming in. I guess I could look at the DPCI report the night before a delivery to see what specific numbers closed with the truck. We'll see how the driver's react.
4) We can't do TPCs. I did one once as a CTL on the seasonal soup that went NOP after the endcap died and got a stern warning to never drop anything on TPC at the store level again. It has to be MySupported on a form to request it and after being denied 10 in a row, I gave up on it.

Did you go FDC as a ULV non-Pfresh or did you have the remodel?

Thanks for the detailed response. It helps to know that other stores have made it through this and that there is the possibility of correcting it. A few follow-ups:
1) I am a BR/Instocks TL so I do the cooler/freezers personally once a week with Stand Alone RSCH. Our store is a test store that only does RIGs with the exclamation point and stand alone for about an hour each morning. So I am sure the counts are correct. I have also been the only person pulling and back stocking for the last month. I have been asking TMs to burn frozen batches on the weekend when I am not there as we never sell enough of anything in the freezer to create outs with BR locations in two days. After having 50 eaches of frozen boneless skinless chicken come in last week when we have a capacity of 5 and 25 OH, I knew I had to ask the Breakroom community for help.
2) I have made sure the freezer and cooler is back stocked by myself within a few hours after delivery. I do the labels for the candy and frozen at the same time. I have pulled the case pack shelf from the cooler and rolled into the freezer for extra space which has helped but now most of my cooler case packs are located on the low aluminum shelf and looks kind of messy.
3) Your advice is similar to what the STL and ETL-LOG came up with Friday before I left, which was to pull out the phone and take/email pictures when it went crazy. They also said they would back me on forcing credits from the McLane driver for ridiculously high numbers coming in. I guess I could look at the DPCI report the night before a delivery to see what specific numbers closed with the truck. We'll see how the driver's react.
4) We can't do TPCs. I did one once as a CTL on the seasonal soup that went NOP after the endcap died and got a stern warning to never drop anything on TPC at the store level again. It has to be MySupported on a form to request it and after being denied 10 in a row, I gave up on it.

We are ULV non-Pfresh. I do understand the concern with TPCs but, I would keep trying especially with your consumables TL especially if the dates are coming up. Our Store is also a test store for the Instocks Rigs. Although I'm not up to date with everything that the instocks pilot does I am under the impression that you do Rigs on truck days and Research the whole store(or try to) on non-truck days. I would only burn the cooler/freezer batch on the day that the truck comes in, after that day you might actually be selling something. Also, I probably should be mentioning this but, do you know how to clear the accumulator? So that you really only have to burn a certain DPCI once a day. That way you clear the number to zero and then actual sales are reflected in caffs/autos? Not accepting the truck only something we only ever done once for too much product. I would though get with your Logistics receiver and REALLY make sure they are at the right temperatures. Our deliveries near the end of McKlane were always coming in over temp and we refused a coiuple of trucks due to that. I really do feel your pain though. I'll keep looking if you have anymore questions, I'll try to answer them the best i can.

We are ULV non-Pfresh. I do understand the concern with TPCs but, I would keep trying especially with your consumables TL especially if the dates are coming up. Our Store is also a test store for the Instocks Rigs. Although I'm not up to date with everything that the instocks pilot does I am under the impression that you do Rigs on truck days and Research the whole store(or try to) on non-truck days. I would only burn the cooler/freezer batch on the day that the truck comes in, after that day you might actually be selling something. Also, I probably should be mentioning this but, do you know how to clear the accumulator? So that you really only have to burn a certain DPCI once a day. That way you clear the number to zero and then actual sales are reflected in caffs/autos? Not accepting the truck only something we only ever done once for too much product. I would though get with your Logistics receiver and REALLY make sure they are at the right temperatures. Our deliveries near the end of McKlane were always coming in over temp and we refused a coiuple of trucks due to that. I really do feel your pain though. I'll keep looking if you have anymore questions, I'll try to answer them the best i can.

I think you're asking about SUBT9999 on reseting the Accumulator. This was unheard of in the backroom when I took over a month ago so I am slowly introducing it to the TMs. I do this with as many SP backstock as I can and will have BRTMs start doing this when I feel the are comfortable with it and understand the impact. I could do this with McLane but it would take so much time we don't have. That's why I was kind of picking you guy's brains for alternate ideas and experiences. The CTL that just back filled my extremely green market area is fresh out of college and off training at the nearest Super Target. When he gets on his feet again in about 6 months, I think it will be a good idea to get him on the fight to allow us to do TPCs at our level.

Funny tangent on TPCs - I can drop TPC into TDs at the store level all day long and I never had any feedback. The few times I tried to sneak one in on DC delivered product and I had my head taken off. So vendor product somehow falls through without notice.

We do stand alone research each morning starting at 5am. It is usually a few FLOW TMs that will set up the line and start the truck before the rest of the FLOW TMs arrive at 6am. I have one TM scheduled to do as many RIGS as he can after the Autos on Tuesday/Thursday which are our non-truck days. We continue to be #1 in the group with green bars across. Our Raincheck score is in the crapper because we can't get more in even though we have ordered them each week for a month. But that's a Sales Floor score so it doesn't hurt MyPerformance.

I think you are right and I am just going to have to find some extra time somewhere to make myself available to SUBT9999 the McLane backstock twice a week. This will zero in what we are truly over receiving. Then I can look at the truck report to see what is coming in the next day and get credit for it at the dock. Maybe enough credits will get someone's attention and generate some dialogue. Once I have all the specific DPCI's of the problematic over delivered product, I will start MySupporting it again with the STL and GPB CC:'ed.

There is another way that does take a little of time but not as much as the SUBT 9999 thing.... Its something i'm not sure Target knows about and i'd hate to let this secret out.... But you remind me of all the troubles i had in that frozen hell.
Alright let me see if I can thoroughly explain this process. Ok, lets pretend you are in a Caff/Auto. You apply the batch in the fridge, lets say it asks you to scan 01F012A25. You scan that waco, and then you scan eggs. Now lets say you just pushed eggs and you know that eggs will NOT go out on the sales floor. It prompts you to pull 3 cartoons of eggs and there is a total of 3 cartoon in the waco. Instead of putting in the number 3, you will want to put in the number 4. The PDA will ask you if you pulled all from this location, you will say NO. At this point one of 2 things can happen;
1) The PDA will ask you to scan something else in the same waco. If that is the case you will re-scan the eggs and it will then give you the remainder of what the accumulator ACTUALLY wants, lets say it wants 15 more. Once you put in the number 15 it will ask you if you pulled all from the location, this time you will say YES. Then you can do one of two things you can try and push the eggs to the floor and see if someone actually bought some eggs since last you pushed them or, you can just shift-7 and STO them back into the same waco.
Ok you still with me???
2) The PDA will just move on to another waco. This means that the actual accumulator number was less than or equal to 4. If this happens it means the the DPCI is still located in that waco but does not have a quantity attached to it in the system. Its not a hughe deal but you will want to fix it before you forget about it, so switch over to the STO function with shift-7. When you scan the eggs it will show it in that location you want to scan it back into the 01F012A25. After you scan the waco DO NOT put in a number yet, instead after scanning the waco hit the "U" button to update the quantity in that location. After you hit "U" you can then put in the quantity of 3.

You can then continue your batch. This might seem like it takes alot of time but here are some pros. You can spend a little bit of time in one Batch to clear out the DPCIs that are off instead of through out the day. If you are the one who backstocked the truck yourself you cannot create baffles on yourself.
Some things i would suggest: 1) Please make sure that the product has actually been pushed(I hope you trust your team). 2) Please only do this in locations that are mapped as open stock locations. It just worked better this way. 3) I wouldnt teach this to the rest of your team. They might use this for evil(Evil Laugh Now). 4) If you use this for other departments, like when PLANO resets entire sections, just be aware that this only works best when the shelf capacity is higher than 6. 5) Only use this strategy when it asks you to pull a quantity that is the total amount in the waco.
Hope this sheds some light and helps you in your struggle.

Let me know when you've read this post... I'm thinking of deleting it after you see it

Entering a qty that is not in the location will generate a error. Its not a direct error in anyones name but its a qty error that counts as overall errors in your backroom. It can screw with your daily audits as well. Regardless its an error either way.

i know its an error but like i said you cannot cause a baffle on yourself so there is no error. The daily Audit will be a little affected but maybe it will make it 10% bigger. I understand your concerns.

Our back room is consistently ranked in the very top of our district. Its almost always over 99.

Unnamed errors are regular errors that are only found 15 days after the error is created. After you incorrectly located something your name is no longer attached to it in the system after 14 days. So the system still counts those error just doesnt go against any TM's location score.

Congrats on being ranked in top of your district with over 99%, I know thats difficult.

Yes I do understand what your saying but I just wanted to clarify, no its not an "assigned error" it is an "overall error" for the backroom. When Spot went to this new lovely count process in the backroom it caused issues with assigning errors particulaly the counting errors. This is why alot of people were showing up with high errors all of a sudden. Also this lead to them pulling the individual error report because it was flawed with inaccuracies. They brought it back only because they fixed the issues (so they say anyhow), its now hard to show up on the individual error report unless you just really screw something up, which happens, its human error.
I have caught my team members doing this and coached them on the spot, have written 1 up because he just refuses to listen. I even have a team member that says when the system asked for 20 and they knew it wouldnt go they would just pull 5. When I asked them what they put in they said 5 duh. I'm like you just unlocated the product you moron now get out of my backroom. LOL

Congrats on being ranked in top of your district with over 99%, I know thats difficult.

Yes I do understand what your saying but I just wanted to clarify, no its not an "assigned error" it is an "overall error" for the backroom. When Spot went to this new lovely count process in the backroom it caused issues with assigning errors particulaly the counting errors. This is why alot of people were showing up with high errors all of a sudden. Also this lead to them pulling the individual error report because it was flawed with inaccuracies. They brought it back only because they fixed the issues (so they say anyhow), its now hard to show up on the individual error report unless you just really screw something up, which happens, its human error.
I have caught my team members doing this and coached them on the spot, have written 1 up because he just refuses to listen. I even have a team member that says when the system asked for 20 and they knew it wouldnt go they would just pull 5. When I asked them what they put in they said 5 duh. I'm like you just unlocated the product you moron now get out of my backroom. LOL

Yeah i wasnt advocating the creation of error on anyone. Like i said you need to fix it right away and if you are the one that backstocked it then you cant create baffles on your self. Thank you for the congrats, It is a tough thing to accomplish. I am lucky our team is very dedicated and wants to do what is right for the store. I also said "not to let the backroom know about this". I do understand your concerns and only 4 people in my store know about this and I'm the only one that does this.

4) We can't do TPCs. I did one once as a CTL on the seasonal soup that xwent NOP after the endcap died and got a stern warning to never drop anything on TPC at the store level again. It has to be MySupported on a form to request it and after being denied 10 in a row, I gave up on it.

Sda the soup! Get training in br for understanding of things.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]

Sda the soup! Get training in br for understanding of things.[/QUOTE]

I'm lost. how would SDA have helped? I didn't want it sitting in the back room so I TPC'ed it. I am BR trained sooooo what am I missing?

I'm lost. how would SDA have helped? I didn't want it sitting in the back room so I TPC'ed it. I am BR trained sooooo what am I missing?

I think HLM meant Store Tie. If you have an empty endcap, you can Store Tie the soup there so that it will sell instead of sitting in the backroom because it's NOP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back