Archived Advice for a new PA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweatyShirts

Backroom, Cashier, Hardlines, Instocks, TL Wannabe
So last week I spoke to my ETL-Logistics as well as the Consumables TL, ETL-Salesfloor and even my STL about moving to Market team as a PA as the next step in my development into a TL and they all signed off on that move, my replacement for backroom has already been hired and is being trained.

But I have little actual (read: none) experience in a leadership role and I'm here mostly just looking for some advice on how to be a good leader. Particularly on good methods of inspiring generally lazy and unmotivated TMs to not be so lazy and unmotivated. Since that's one of the main problems of our Market team at the moment.

I get that, on some level, people are going to be who they are and that coaching, corrective actions and performancing people out is gonna be more or less necessary but I'd like to figure some of the tools I can use to get results without having to rely on my TLs to use coaching or corrective actions to fix some of the performance issues.

So I'd absolutely appreciate some advice on how to do that, or even just general/unrelated advice on what I should expect to have to deal with as a TL since that's the ultimate goal of my becoming a PA.

I'll take a stab at this. I am a flow tm with 6 yrs experience. As a tm I will not work for someone whom I do not respect. You need to work with your team and let them see your expectations. Ask if they have any questions or concerns. You need to be clear right from the get go what you need them to accomplish but also be ready to answer questions about how they meet those goals. If you can not turn around your lazy and slow as fuck tms in a reasonable amount of time, show them the door. Nothing brings down the morale of a team quicker than a slug on that team and your good tms thinking the slugs are getting away with something. A lot of times they are because they have a piss poor leader. Don't be that person. Be positive and have fun with your team!

You are not the boss of market team. Best thing is to encourage & train the team for a common goal.
Can't emphasize this enough.. A lot of the "Lazy Tm's" will not listen to anyone else BUT the boss. First thing going through their minds is "Who da F.. Is this?" Another point I'll add is to inspire. A lot of people have respected me and given me accolades like I was a TL is because I listen, educate, and WORK! If you can't do these things, you will have a tough time. Good luck in all you do.

You are not the boss of market team. Best thing is to encourage & train the team for a common goal.

Yup it's like being a GSA over market. You have to lead through inspiration and your own hard work. Charisma helps.

I would analyze the team. Take a tm with a good attitude but is slow. Mentor them and teach them to be more efficient. The ones who work quickly but slow down as they socialize with friends, split them up and ask one of them to work with you on a project.

Trying to be bossy or act one way when leadership is around will backfire. Most will see right through that.

Also tend to your vendor relationships. While managing a team is a big part of being a team lead. How you handle yourself with vendors will also go a long way.

Thanks for the responses everyone, it's all been helpful!

Yup it's like being a GSA over market. You have to lead through inspiration and your own hard work. Charisma helps.

I would analyze the team. Take a tm with a good attitude but is slow. Mentor them and teach them to be more efficient. The ones who work quickly but slow down as they socialize with friends, split them up and ask one of them to work with you on a project.

Trying to be bossy or act one way when leadership is around will backfire. Most will see right through that.

Also tend to your vendor relationships. While managing a team is a big part of being a team lead. How you handle yourself with vendors will also go a long way.

I actually do get along pretty well with all the vendors that come through in the afternoon. Though there's been a few times where they dump their cardboard wherever they please or they don't adequately stack and wrap their pellets (causing a mess whenever me or someone else so much as touches them with a jack).

So I've had to say something to them when shit like that happens but on the whole everything stays professional and cordial and I can go right back to being friendly with them.

But yeah, there is a bit of adjancency between backroom dayside and Market so I do have a decent idea which market TMs are good, which could be good but just need some help I guess, and which have just completely checked out.

Just gotta figure out how I can best help the TMs that could be good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back