Archived Advice for securing a spot on the TL roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweatyShirts

Backroom, Cashier, Hardlines, Instocks, TL Wannabe
I'm a backroom TM who just finished his 90 day period and I'm looking at trying to secure a promotion to TL.

During my probationary period I mentioned a few times that I'd like to get more experience there at the store by cross-training, nothing too specific at the time having just started there at the store. So when my 90 days ended, she approached me and recommended I talk to ETL-HR about cross-training into Electronics.

Since then my prospective cross-training had been broadened to Cashier and Hardlines, because both are related to Electronics.

Anyway, the reason for this post is because I'm having doubts about whether or not it'd be better to learn more about the Logistics department and try to advance within it or if I should go ahead with cross-training out onto the salesfloor and try to go become more well-rounded and "globalist" there at the store.

Neglected to mention that, I told my STL when she approached me about cross-training to electronics but I haven't directly told anybody else.

Given how much people here talk about each other, it didn't take long for my ETL-Logi to all but explicitly confirm he heard about. It's still pretty obvious he did.

If I were in your STL's shoes, I would've told your ETL too. If she thinks you'd be good in the position, she may want him to work with you on development. Pretty common. I would talk with him to see what his thoughts are and ask what you can do to improve.

The end of my 90 days coincided with some changes that saw that our department heads are now more involved during backroom evening shifts so they've been really good about showing me more backroom functions like auditing and empty location reporting.

All in all just teaching me more about the backroom and just being there to answer questions.

He did directly come out and say he thought seeking out cross-training was entirely a good course and shared that he was a TM trained in all the positions before getting promoted out of being a TM.

Last edited:
While knowing more areas of the store is a nice resume builder, it's not really a factor used in considering whether or not you'll be promoted to TL. Identify a process in your store that needs fixing, partner with your TL/ETL on how you would fix it, and get the buy-in from your peers to accomplish your solution.

Spot looks for folks who think outside of the box. As srtlall stated, It can be fixing a process in your store or seeing an opportunity to drive sales for your store. Communication & interaction with your tl/etl are important. Know your numbers & always ask questions to them.

Reactions: Him
Effective communication with Everyone (tm's, TL's, ETL's, STL) and driving for results (fixing a problem within your store, driving sales, etc.) are keys for you to be noticed for a TL position. Being global is a given. Good luck. ;)

I wouldn't focus on logistics, just learn as much as possible. Trying to move up in target the logistics route is probably not the smartest idea right now. With a huge push toward end 2 end, not entirely sure if anyone knows what that means for logistics. I know my log etl doesn't know what it means for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back