Archived Advice on changing workcenters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LONG POST INCOMING!!:
I've been working at Target for almost 2 years now, originally applied for hardlines and supposedly thats what I was hired for, but i was cross-trained for presentation almost immediately and I have a feeling thats what they hired me for. During the interview, I was even asked if I had a problem coming in at 4am from time to time, and since I really needed a job then I of course said I didn't mind. In the beginning I was trained in hardlines and trained on the register for when they needed back up during busy times. After about the second week I also started to be trained in presentation, but I would come in at 6am instead of 4am because thats when the guy who trained me would also clock in. For a while I would be scheduled to do both hardlines and presentation, with a cashier date every now and then and I didnt mind too much because I wanted as many hours as I could get. Slowly but surely, however, I would be scheduled fewer and fewer days in hardlines until I was a fulltime presentation team member.

Now comes the problem: the team lead. I've always had a problem with the TL for presentation, but at first it wasn't as big of a deal because I would get what felt like a break when I had a hardlines shift. However, now that I have to deal with her everyday, it's honestly mentally and psychologically exhausting. She talks down to everyone, talks to us like we're inept, and makes a big deal when we make small mistakes but never takes responsibility for her f*ck ups. I almost quit 2 months in just because of her, but I really needed the job so I sucked it up. I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who can't stand her, but it seems like she's protected by the ETL above us. Despite all of this, I act as professional as I can, and get along with her even though I can't stand her.

Throughout my time at target I've put in the effort to be as much of a team player as I could be, which has lead me to learning how to work hardlines, cashier, electronics, presentation, backroom, ship from store, build displays, use the crown and the wave, and I even did the price accuracy audit for the store when we were remodeling. I'm cordial and get along with every TL and ETL as far as I know.

About a week and a half ago I finally decided that I'd had enough of my TL and asked an ETL if I could switch work centers, not really giving a reason, just that I wanted a change. I wanted to go to SFS, talked to that TL and she was happy to have me join her team. The ETL told me she'd talk to the STL then my current TL, and told me to give her a little bit of time because they're hiring and were probably going to have to train someone. Being understanding, I said cool, thank you and went on my way. This last Friday my TL asked me why I didn't tell her I wanted to leave, told her I didnt see the point in telling her if I didnt get the go-ahead from the ETL. She told me that with the way things are right now, they can't switch me because they don't have the personnel (one TM was let go 3 months ago and still hasnt been replaced, another one is on medical leave, another one is on leave as well apparently, and another one can only work 4 hrs per day because of school).

I understand that it could be a difficult time, but if you're short on team members, you should hire people instead of borrowing people from other departments (this is what she's doing). My question is, what should I do? Should I talk to the ETL again and ask for a time frame of when I COULD be switched? Go straight to the STL? I'm at the point where I've honestly considered quitting, but my coworkers have told me that if I quit to let it be on my own terms, not because I feel like she made me quit. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated and I apologize for the excessively long post.

Go to your ETL-HR or STL. In my store, we often lack training hours to get a TM training in a different workcenter so they can move. We haven’t had payroll to hire or train anyone since last November.
STL controls where the hours are allocated. Also in my store, the team is being told they must chose 1 and only 1 workcenter and that is the only place they can be assigned. So now may be your only chance to make the move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back