Advice on next steps.

I’ve worked at target a year. I am a softlines DBO & Hardlines DBO.
since late February, I have been running the entire style department alone. I’ve been the only team member on the floor plenty of times. (Only team member on the floor in the store as well). I make sure everything is done. Price changes, vmg, truck, pulls. Everything.

my ETL came to me a few weeks ago with alead position at another store. I’d be good because I’ve been doing all this alone and she hasn’t had to worry about it.
It wasn’t a drive I wanted to make & I didn’t want to leave style. So I stayed.
fast forward to this week. one of the style team leads is moving to another store. I’m off work Monday, Tuesday nothing is said to me, off Wednesday Thursday I find out about the position.
Friday another style team member is being interviewed for it.
basically she was told immediately & not a word was said to me.

I feel like this is kind of a kick in the teeth since I’ve literally been doing everything in style. I’ve kept up with everything. & I feel like they’re just giving the position to another team member.

I dont want to keep doing what I’m doing. I love my job. I love style. But I’m just being used because I have a ridiculous work ethic & haven’t missed a day of work.

Any advice ?

You have to go out of your way to get yourself into the position. Another position could open up next week or next year. I waited 3 years for my position and im not going to lie i regret it, not because i don't like the job that i do now or or even that other people were given opportunities over me. I just know that I wasted my potential, and could have gotten a job, either at target or elsewhere that would of allowed me to develop as a leader much faster then the bullshit bench opportunities that did. My advice isnt to quit or give up, just keep going and prove you are the person you say you are but dont be afraid to look elsewhere.

Also, dont just do what you are told. Make decisions and execute them yourself, even if its not something they decide was the best decision they want people that make critical decisions amd not someone they have to tell what to do, otherwise you mine as well just be another team member. You can bust your ass and get everything done yourself, but they already know that you have to show that you are willing to step up and take control.

You don't get peomoted by being hurt that someone else was interested in the job you want. You know about the position, apply and interview. If they only interviewed you and not the others, they'd feel the same way you do right now and it would kill morale.

I was easily the highest qualified for my current role. They interviewed six other people (three internal, three external, iirc) It for sure removed the appearance of choosing favorites.

It is a kick in the teeth, and I’m sorry that they are treating you that way. ASANTS, but keeping a high performing TM who would be difficult to replace in position instead of promoting them can be standard procedure for some leaders. Also, if anyone refuses any offered opportunity, no matter how undesirable, chances are that they won’t be offered another one. The part that I don’t understand is why they would offer you position in another store. Most leaders would never voluntarily lose a high performing TM. Unless of course your leadership is trying to kiss up to the district manager.😁
As far as advice goes, you might want to stay at Spot until you find something better, then give your two weeks notice, work it, leave and never look back. If you can handle working two jobs for a short while to make sure you aren’t jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire, that would be a good plan. Hope you find a job where your hard work and dependability will be appreciated. Good luck!

It’s not a kick in the teeth, or a let down, or disrespectful.
You found out about the opportunity, now own it. Walk in to HRs office and tell them you would like to be considered for the position.
Don’t wait around for someone to offer you this interview/job. Go in there , and demand it!
Good luck!!

my ETL came to me a few weeks ago with alead position at another store. I’d be good because I’ve been doing all this alone and she hasn’t had to worry about it.
It wasn’t a drive I wanted to make & I didn’t want to leave style. So I stayed.
This , they don’t really like when you are turning a position that they came with to you.

I hope you will find somewhere your hard work will be appreciated. Tarshit doesn't care about your hard work ethic at all. All they care about is how they can use you. Find a new place to work you haven't been at Tarshit for more than a year. Hopefully they will treat you right.

I hope you will find somewhere your hard work will be appreciated. Tarshit doesn't care about your hard work ethic at all. All they care about is how they can use you. Find a new place to work you haven't been at Tarshit for more than a year. Hopefully they will treat you right.
That’s literally the job of TLs/ETLs/SDs etc. its to figure out to use someone/resources. Like business 101.

Big difference between utilizing talents/abilities/resources to benefit both the business and its team members and using people to meet goals by promising them things that will never materialize then tossing them away like used wipes after the goal is met. ASANTS, but Spot would be more successful if leadership was more invested in the former and less in the latter.

Back