Archived Advice on redcards

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifewithtarget

datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
So before you redirect me to 500 different threads explaining this question that is always asked, let me change it up a bit.

So I've now worked at Target for 8 months and I've switched back and forth between cashiering and sales floor. Tomorrow I am a cashier and I want to do my best to get a red card.

I've asked my GSTL and others, but what do you suggest for someone like me. So I'm a shy guy, and when I try to say my spiel about the card like my GSTL does, I stutter over my words, and therefore lose it because they can't understand me because I'm so nervous and feel so pressured to say it low my GSTL suggested.

So what's the best approach to keep it simple so that I don't mumble over my words and lose their interest afterwards

I think the main thing is to feel confident in what you're saying. If you don't believe in it then it's harder to get others to believe in it too. This is how I start out.
"Hey, how are you today?" then i kind of let the conversation go where it goes and then as soon as it seems normal i say "are you saving 5% today using a target debit card?" if they say yes i say "great!" and make sure i share the savings with them when they leave. If they say no I go into "oh let me tell you about it! It is just a debit card that is linked up straight to your own checking account, there is no fees with it, but you save 5% on every transaction here!" if they let me go on i say something like "i really love mine. I didn't think the 5% would really make a difference but it really does add up!" Sometimes i go into the free shipping or pharmacy rewards and other times i don't. If they cut you off and say they're not interested after you ask i say something like "ok but if you are ever interested in it.."
and then give them the benefits. I've gotten several cards this way after they give me a sound No and before i was a GSTL my score was always above a 5.0.

If you have any more questions let me know and i can try an answer them.

I cashiered today. I came pretty close a few times but I didn't get any. My new way is to estimate how much they'd save on the purchase they're making at the time... if the purchase is over $100. $5 for every 100, $2.50 for every 50 is pretty easy to estimate on the spot. Telling someone they'd save $2 if it's under $50 doesn't sound impressive though so I don't have any ideas for that.

I think the main thing is to feel confident in what you're saying. If you don't believe in it then it's harder to get others to believe in it too. This is how I start out.
"Hey, how are you today?" then i kind of let the conversation go where it goes and then as soon as it seems normal i say "are you saving 5% today using a target debit card?" if they say yes i say "great!" and make sure i share the savings with them when they leave. If they say no I go into "oh let me tell you about it! It is just a debit card that is linked up straight to your own checking account, there is no fees with it, but you save 5% on every transaction here!" if they let me go on i say something like "i really love mine. I didn't think the 5% would really make a difference but it really does add up!" Sometimes i go into the free shipping or pharmacy rewards and other times i don't. If they cut you off and say they're not interested after you ask i say something like "ok but if you are ever interested in it.."
and then give them the benefits. I've gotten several cards this way after they give me a sound No and before i was a GSTL my score was always above a 5.0.

If you have any more questions let me know and i can try an answer them.

Really good advice here about believing what you say, if it's just a speil in your mind you're going to stumble because half the time you're trying to remember the words.
I didn't cashier all that often and when I did it was crazy busy so I tried to keep it short and sweet, still hitting every customer.
My trick was to try and make it a conversation, talk about how I liked my red card rather than push them to get one.
Since I don't have the credit card, I tended to skim over that and pushed the check card the most.

The no receipt return is pretty awesome too. I guess any card can be looked up, but they probably don't know that.

If the guest kept the card used to pay for their item - be it gift card, visa gift card, bank card, debit, etc - it can be swiped & used for receipt look-up. If it doesn't turn up, tho, it's likely past the point of no return.....for full price anyway.

I always ask if they'll be using their 5% discount for their purchase.

Sometimes I'll ask, "Do you have our Target RedCard?" Then I'll talk about the 5% everytime they visit.

Keep it simple.

I find it best to talk about things that you like about the card. I like the free shipping and extended return, so I talk those things up.

When someone writes a check, I've been trying to get cashiers (or if I'm around I may interject) to say something along the lines of "instead of writing a check, would you be interested in using that check to apply for our target debit card? the money comes out of the same bank account".

Although not many guests still use checks, this has worked a few times.

It can be hard for our store, we usually meet our goal,if not come damn close to it. The thing is my store is in an areas with a rather small population, so anyone that wants a Redcard already has one, and everyone else has no interest in one. It makes it hard at times.

For the GSA's out there, how has your conversion changed since becoming a GSA? Do you still perform or is the focus now on getting the team to reach their conversion over getting your personal conversion? I know GSA's are known to get the random RedCard but are they measured on their conversion too?

As a GSA, I am expected to lead the team by example. My conversion is now more heavily tracked as a GSA than it was as a cashier, and now when it's a crummy night for everyone, that's now my fault as well.

I understand that you are expected to help your team succeeding but just wasn't sure if a personal conversion was looked at also. I would be more inclined to hold myself accountable for getting my conversion to "lead by example" as that is how I believe people take you more seriously when you can actually walk the walk instead of just yelling out that we need more reds.

Funny....some of our LODs can hop on, get lucky and get a REDCard and then spend the next week bitching that the rest of us must not be asking. I am more likely to take someone seriously who gets how hard it is to ask over and over again and get no where.

Honestly, every other word I hear out of anyone's mouth anymore is REDCard, so I don't take any of it too seriously any more.

But yeah, as a GSA my personal numbers are more heavily scrutinized by the upper crust than when I was just a cashier.

Trust me, I'm asking every guest. Whether they are buying a banana, up to a new tv or gaming console, each guest will hear me ask them about the RedCard unless I see one in their hand, so I know what it is like to go an entire shift and hearing nothing but no this and no that and I'm not interested, but I don't quit and my numbers prove that. A gsa/gstl yelling at me that I need to get reds does nothing for me either, how about instead offering encouragement and ways I can better my message not just you need to get more reds.

I don't care how you phrase it to me. I'm sick to death of nothing else mattering but REDCards. I could have amazing moments and be super-freaking-woman all day...but that no longer matters because we only care about that stupid card.

I have zero REDcards for the week after practically begging guests. And my two GSA shifts this week have gotten me zero REDCards this week from my cashiers. If I don't get a miracle tomorrow for my GSA shift, I fully expect I will be either written up or have my hours reduced on the next schedule.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back