Archived Advice with Closing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry for this mini rant but I'm so annoyed with closing. All. The. Time.

Tonight was especially awful as we stayed 1.5 hours after closing. Like really? Wtf? I finished my zone and all my abandon and instead of a "good job!" or being "allowed" to go home I have to go help other people in their zones. Seriously? Why do I have to stay hostage until who knows when?

What are some of the things I can do?

I'm a newbie under 90 days so I don't know if I can just leave at the scheduled time (tonight, the LOD tonight wrote people up for "leaving early" even though they left at the time they were scheduled for) for fear of being terminated and I need the job income.

Don't get me wrong I love the job but the closings at my store are ridiculous. Me and many others are just fed up with it. :(

You can leave when you are scheduled. But, if you didn't stay later, your hours might cut on the next schedule because of doing that. Always, take any hours that are offered to you. Spot has been cutting payroll hours badly, this month.

I'm sorry for this mini rant but I'm so annoyed with closing. All. The. Time.

Tonight was especially awful as we stayed 1.5 hours after closing. Like really? Wtf? I finished my zone and all my abandon and instead of a "good job!" or being "allowed" to go home I have to go help other people in their zones. Seriously? Why do I have to stay hostage until who knows when?

What are some of the things I can do?

I'm a newbie under 90 days so I don't know if I can just leave at the scheduled time (tonight, the LOD tonight wrote people up for "leaving early" even though they left at the time they were scheduled for) for fear of being terminated and I need the job income.

Don't get me wrong I love the job but the closings at my store are ridiculous. Me and many others are just fed up with it. :(

Take. The. Hours. Things are so bad at my store lately that they force people to clock out even if zones aren't finished. Anyone that stays more than 15 minutes after closing is probably going to be in trouble at my store.

You can leave when you are scheduled."

This isn't the way it works in my store. All closing sales floor tms, plus the GSTL/GSA, and guest service TM are scheduled til 11:30 or 10:30 Sunday (we close at 11 M-Sat and 10 on Sun). We could be dismissed at 11:15, we could be dismissed at 2:00 a.m. Depends on the way the night went/the reshop situation/which LOD is closing and what kind of mood he/she is in. The only way a TM would get to leave earlier is if he/she will hit compliance because they weren't scheduled enough hours to take a meal break or if they are scheduled for a clopen they are allowed to leave by midnight to allow 8 hours between shifts. We don't have the option to leave at 11:30 just because that's when we're scheduled to leave.

Everyone at my store left at close (or a few minutes after) except for the closing GSA and LOD. I cannot fathom all of these stores wasting payroll when the store doesn't have any guests. It seems to me they would be better off scheduling people to come in earlier...then they can zone and help guests at the same time. This just seems like a serious waste to me and am glad my store never did this crazy crap.

Also, our LOD had to be sure the store was armed by an hour after close...if not, the DTL and STL would get wind of it and get their asses handed to them. And by armed, that meant not being able to unarm the building again until it was time for flow to come in without more messages being sent...so I don't even get how this works, anyway.

As an LOD, I can tell you that no one can make you stay past your scheduled time, let alone write you up for refusing. Now, if you were someone who didn't complete their zone or it doesn't look great, you can get a coaching.

My store has problems with people communicating that they're struggling with their zone. Nothing like being 10 minutes to closing before someone mentions that they won't finish on time.

The most I ask people to stay late is about 15 minutes, but I'm also hourly and I need to get out of there as well.

As an LOD, I can tell you that no one can make you stay past your scheduled time, let alone write you up for refusing. Now, if you were someone who didn't complete their zone or it doesn't look great, you can get a coaching.

My store has problems with people communicating that they're struggling with their zone. Nothing like being 10 minutes to closing before someone mentions that they won't finish on time.

The most I ask people to stay late is about 15 minutes, but I'm also hourly and I need to get out of there as well.

No, they can't force you to stay but they won't let you out. While they guilt trip you and threaten which I have heard. You want out of the building but an ETL has no incentive other than not hearing it from opening that the store looks like shit.

Everyone at my store left at close (or a few minutes after) except for the closing GSA and LOD. I cannot fathom all of these stores wasting payroll when the store doesn't have any guests. It seems to me they would be better off scheduling people to come in earlier...then they can zone and help guests at the same time. This just seems like a serious waste to me and am glad my store never did this crazy crap.

Also, our LOD had to be sure the store was armed by an hour after close...if not, the DTL and STL would get wind of it and get their asses handed to them. And by armed, that meant not being able to unarm the building again until it was time for flow to come in without more messages being sent...so I don't even get how this works, anyway.
Exactly the same at my store.

We're an overnight store, so this doesn't really apply. They just disable the alarm (like they do for Flow's breaks/lunch) when the LOD decides the closing team is allowed to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back