Archived After 2 years with target I am gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terminated. Came in to pick up my check on my day off of all day and I was informed I had been voluntarily terminated due to no call no shows. Let me break this down to you

I needed time off from work because my cousin was having surgery out of the city, life depending surgery as he has leukemia and needed a bone marrow transplant. I needed to be there and wasn't going to miss it. I went to my HR told her I needed 3 days off next week. I know it was on short notice but tbe surgery wasn't decided until short notice. She gives me a verbal ok and tells me I just need to take the days off in mytime. I requested 3 days off Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. I was off the Tuesday. I requested paid time off because I had the hours accumulated. The days I was originally scheduled for I used my paid vacation hours to take off. A day after I submitted it it was approved

So im thinking I'm good to go. I even went into work that Monday before I left town to make sure everything was correct. I walked directly pass my STL on my way out and she says "See you when you get back". So now I know I'm good to go

Fast forward to when I get back in town on Friday. I stop by work to pick up my check at guest services. The GSTL gives me my check and says nothing about anything else or anybody needing to talk to me which apparently they did. I get my check and head back to the breakroom to get my tupperware I had left a while ago and I'm met by the HR. She tells me she's gonna need my check back. I ask why and she says "Unfortunately do to you being a no call no show for 3 days straight it was considered voluntary termination". I said WHAT? I asked her how was I considered a no call no show when I took off 3 days approved the ETL. She says my time off request wasn't approved for time off it was just approved that I would get paid for those 3 days but I was still obligated to work those days.

Now at this point I'm getting upset because I know for damn sure that I requested paid time off, it was approved in the system, STL gave me the ok and all. I didn't want to blow my top I just said there has to be some mistake and I don't agree with this. TPS came back and asked me to give the check to the HR and dispute it later. So I did. I gave the check back and HR said she would get my voucher ready. An hour later she calls me to tell me its ready to pick up. I come back and she pays me my check, the hours I had worked the previous week, and my remaining sick pay and vacation balance which oddly enough did include the hours I had requested paid time off for

I never spoke to an ETL, STL...not a single team lead other than the HR. Not a single shred of paperwork other than the voucher. I called later on to speak to the STL about what had happened. The only thing she had to say was that they tried to call me and there was nothing she could do at this point. I told her I would be contacting corporate about it

I contacted corporate to file a complaint and have yet to receive an update. I'm thinking of taking this to court but with these guys claiming I didn't take the days off knowing I did who knows what they'll do

Wow, just wow.

Sounds like they were looking for a reason and decided to use this one.
They could easily just not have okayed the time because it was short notice and I'm sure corporate will back them up.
I don't know if going to court will help.
Wish I could be more positive but it sounds like they screwed you royally.
If you can get them to act like decent human beings than you've got a chance, otherwise I don't know.

I think I'm confused. If the schedule was already up, why would they ask you to take the time off in mytime? You can't ask for time off for a schedule that's already written. They should have either told you to put the shifts on the swap board or taken you off the schedule and dealt with it themselves. And asking to use paid time off isn't the same as asking for the time off...it's just assigning when you want to use some of your vacation time.

Of course when you went in Monday to be sure you weren't working, the LOD should have said, "hey, wait, there's a problem" when you spoke to them.

The entire thing makes no sense on their end or your end. And unfortunately, that means you lose. And that really sucks.

If I had to guess, I would say someone forgot you wouldn't be there and so the shifts were never covered. Someone was then pissed that whatever area you work in was understaffed and decided to put the blame on you. It sucks but when working with Target, or really any big company, the one thing to always remember is CYA (Cover Your Ass)

It shouldn't be this way but you should have ask for a printout of your schedule so you could see that the shifts were taken off.

Unfortunately Target would win this because you have no proof, only your word against theirs. Sadly I would just learn from this and move on. Good luck.

So sorry to hear this happened. You sound like a conscientious employee and Target needs every one of those they can get their hands on.

I would talk to your ETL and ask the what happened. Actually, I'd find your ETL and be like wtf?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back