Archived Airbed Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentCrow

Store Director
Anyone who worked in the checklanes know how annoying guest can be when it comes to airbeds. We have signs in the aisles but "guest" take them down all the time. At least once a week I have to deal with that one sassy guest who says the inevitable "where on the receipt does it say that I can't return it if it's open?".

When you point out on the back that you can go to said link to see the full policy and if they put everything on the receipt you'll have an scroll for a receipt they hit you with the "it still should say it on the receipt".

Simple solution here and it seems like I need to speak to someone about doing it since it's so obvious it went over their head. Can they just add "same item if opened" under airbed DPCIs on the receipt like they have for movies/games? I'm tired of arguing with these guest that want to return airbeds. We have signs everywhere but "where on the receipt it says that" can be fixed.

Sorry for the rant. Had one of these sassy guest today.

Actually, on the receipt it says "most unopened items in new condition returned within 90 days will receive a refund or exchange." So, the back of the receipt does provide the answer for the guest.....if they don't like the word "most" then it is their problem, not yours. Besides the policy is posted in the store by registers, behind guest services, and over on a board that gives guests "return information" and finally it tells guests to go to target.com for full refund/exchange policy. While the guest may not take the time to read any of this....again it is not your fault.

Finally, when the customer (once someone is no longer nice....they don't deserve to be called a guest) complains be firm and tell them that their option is either an exchange or keep the airbed. They'll get angry and all you can say is that you are sorry......beyond that, call the GSTL or the LOD and let them deal with it.

beyond that, call the GSTL or the LOD and let them deal with it.

He is the gstl but you're right you just explain the policy. My store has even encouraged cashier's to remind guest of the policy on returning such items

We have caved on that and take them all back with no issue so it is we'll know you can get one rent free from us.

It's also on the return policy sign on the wall at Guest Service. Apparently there is a federal law that prohibits returns of air mattresses that have been opened (brownie points to anyone who can actually find that law). No retailer accepts full returns of air mattresses because of this law, as mattresses pose health hazards.

It's also on the return policy sign on the wall at Guest Service. Apparently there is a federal law that prohibits returns of air mattresses that have been opened (brownie points to anyone who can actually find that law). No retailer accepts full returns of air mattresses because of this law, as mattresses pose health hazards.
Bed bugs. Don't forget mattresses, too.
Mattress Return Policies 2017 : What You Should Know Before Buying : Length, Exchanges, Money-back
Customer Returns and Refund Laws by State

Why are they returning them now cause they don't float ? The hurricane is over and I do t need it anymore ??

I definitely explain the policy and point out all the areas where it says airbeds are an exception. However, it'll be much easier if they put that little message under it on the receipt like they do for movies and games.

I don't really buy that corporate has your back as I've had "guest" call guest relations who then contacted me asking me to do a "courtesy". I simply tell guest relations I'm not doing it.

I just feel this constant back and forth can be fixed by that simple message. Also I train my cashiers to educate them that they're exchange only but you think when they're trying to return it they'll admit it was said to them?

AP even seen "guest" remove the exchange only signs we put up in the airbed section.

Last edited:
I agree,but when I challenge it I am given the "have to make the guest happy"line

Yeah but not to the point where you make the policy irrelevant. Your GE or TL needs to step their game up if they're letting this slide. It's a health issue for one and it just makes it possible for someone to use the airbed and then return it when they no longer need it working the system.

Last edited:
I am very clear pre-purchase that according to ----State Law, an opened air mattress can only be exchanged and not returned.

But you are right...adding language to a receipt for some of these policies migh be helpful. I'd like to see at least a sign st GS that same day, different store returns are not allowed bc I get flak for that one all.the.time.

Oh the good ole use fake money at one store and return it at another store routine.

There was only one time I argued with Walmart Customer Service attempting to get fully refunded for an airbed I bought.

The box was factory sealed with no damage. I opened it up and the airbed was shredded down one side.

There was only one time I argued with Walmart Customer Service attempting to get fully refunded for an airbed I bought.

The box was factory sealed with no damage. I opened it up and the airbed was shredded down one side.

Sure, but why did you need a refund instead of an exchange?

If you can't hold your ground against a customer, especially when you have a clear policy on your side, you shouldn't be in leadership. Your ETL/TL/whatever is shit

Fixed

If you can't hold your ground against a customer, especially when you have a clear policy on your side, you shouldn't be in leadership. Your ETL/TL/whatever is trash.
They are afraid of a bad review or a guest complaining. I've held my ground based on the policy to only have it overturned.

Sure, but why did you need a refund instead of an exchange?
There was no use for the airbed anymore.

Plus there was no exact same airbed in stock. They said I had to get the exact same one when it comes in, or get a more expensive one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back