Archived Am I Going To Get Fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work flow team in the morning, and throughout the day deal with the cardboard and the baler. I dont use keys (for the lifts & baer) that need to be checked out, instead I used the flow team leads keys.. I lost them earlier. I looked for 20 minutes and couldnt find them... What is likely to happen...

You're toast....

hahaha jk i have no idea. probably gonna get in bit of trouble if you cant find them and the tl who gave them to you to use is probably gonna catch some heat too...

damn................
You're toast....

hahaha jk i have no idea. probably gonna get in bit of trouble if you cant find them and the tl who gave them to you to use is probably gonna catch some heat too...

Better have a frank conversation with flow TL, sooner rather than later.
You probably should have done it as soon as you knew the keys were missing.
The faster you own up to it the better.
It's going to depend on how good a rep you have but there's a good chance you'll get off with a a write up.
Which isn't great but it's not getting fired.

Better have a frank conversation with flow TL, sooner rather than later.
You probably should have done it as soon as you knew the keys were missing.
The faster you own up to it the better.
It's going to depend on how good a rep you have but there's a good chance you'll get off with a a write up.
Which isn't great but it's not getting fired.

O for sure I already did...

I told the team lead immediately...

I then told the LOD and she was like " Ill be honest losing keys is a big deal, youll probably be written up"

What exactly does a WRITE UP mean.. I know what it is, but whats it mean

How many write ups before termination...(this will be my first)

Last edited:
are you sure you didnt leave them inside the baler? i did that once and someone grabbed them when i walked out, we found the person who took it and was holding on to it because they didnt want me to get busted.

the keys are a big deal though, u should be more careful, i used to do the cardboard for the flow team so i know that feeling your going through, ask around though, someone probably has them

are you sure you didnt leave them inside the baler? i did that once and someone grabbed them when i walked out, we found the person who took it and was holding on to it because they didnt want me to get busted.

the keys are a big deal though, u should be more careful, i used to do the cardboard for the flow team so i know that feeling your going through, ask around though, someone probably has them
I actually spent an extra 20 minutes after my shift looking for the keys....Nothing :(

I checked the baler

inside the baler

around the baler

I asked the other back room workers

retraced my steps

checked pockets

everything.....I have no clue where they went

I can tell you that if it was my store, you and the Flow TL would be on corrective action for loosing the keys! if not final warning.....

Losing keys can lead to a final warning

Yes, for the person who signed the keys out (or who is supposed to hold those keys, if a key carrying team member). I believe target recently revised this policy as well, it can result in a final warning OR a coaching. However, I'm not sure what guidelines they use in determining the appropriate corrective action.

How could you lose them? Stupid question, I know. I keep my hand the keys on baler, till its done. Same with the wave too.

This is tricky. I would say you are free and clear if they were the TL keys. As I recall, they get a special set that has the door on it. There is no reason he should have given them up to anybody. Yeah, you lost him and the TL might get upset and do something. But I fee he is ultimately responsible. Did you go into the cooler? I leave keys, phones, name badges and all sorts of stuff in the pockets of those cooler jackets all the time. Did it have a magnetic key? If it fell inside the baler it could be stuck on the side.

The FTL should not have lent you his/her keys to begin with. You shouldn't be held accountable for them. Period.

So do I say this when I go into work next when I get called into the office? I dont know a non-dickish way to say "Yeah I lost the keys out, but I didnt sign them out technically".

Everything is VERY by the books with a store like Target though, so Im thinking technically since I didnt sign them out I cant be help to disciplinary action...

Tl signed them out & you are on easy street. Tl is not suppose to give keys to anyone.

Thing is they werent a set that needed to be signed out... they were a personal set for the FTL.. She kept saying "You need to find those keys, they are MY keys".. Yeah they arent signed out like most keys, she always has them

All keys are supposed to be signed out. Did you check all tm's & related folks? Only certain ones know how the keys are used.
Oh, that's is like my set of keys. I will hunt you down & all tm's till get them i get them back.

Honestly though, I think the amount of punishment they try to hand out for something as simple as loosing keys is ridiculous. Yes, yes I know "safety this" and "safety that" and "blah blah blah". Ok, Target makes an ass ton of money a year, its not that hard to call in a locksmith or something and have them throw a new tumbler in there and re-key it and issue new keys. Like its such a big hole in Targets wallet to take care of something like that haha. With how much they don't pay their employees they should have more than enough to re-key and replace the tumblers/mechanisms in every single door, machine, piece of equipment the entire company owns twice over!

So do I say this when I go into work next when I get called into the office? I dont know a non-dickish way to say "Yeah I lost the keys out, but I didnt sign them out technically".

Everything is VERY by the books with a store like Target though, so Im thinking technically since I didnt sign them out I cant be help to disciplinary action...

The ETL-HR must sign off on corrective action (and even cochings are documented by him/her). Any ETL-HR worth his or her worth knows that you in no way are responsible for those keys. Sit down with your ETL-HR and thell them EXACTLY what happened. Let us know how it goes!

The ETL-HR must sign off on corrective action (and even cochings are documented by him/her). Any ETL-HR worth his or her worth knows that you in no way are responsible for those keys. Sit down with your ETL-HR and thell them EXACTLY what happened. Let us know how it goes!

Hows this sound, Ill tell my HR this:

I was in charge of baling the cardboard for the day

I was given the flow team "supervisor's" key for the baler (She has someone above her so shes not LOD)

My shift was close to ending and cardboard was done so I went to push some final merchanise

when I went to clock out I could not find the keys

I spent an extra 20 mintutes looking

I notified an LOD and the flow team supervisor and was told to punch out

Thats it??

Honestly though, I think the amount of punishment they try to hand out for something as simple as loosing keys is ridiculous. Yes, yes I know "safety this" and "safety that" and "blah blah blah". Ok, Target makes an ass ton of money a year, its not that hard to call in a locksmith or something and have them throw a new tumbler in there and re-key it and issue new keys. Like its such a big hole in Targets wallet to take care of something like that haha. With how much they don't pay their employees they should have more than enough to re-key and replace the tumblers/mechanisms in every single door, machine, piece of equipment the entire company owns twice over!

Although I see your point in your post, our store had a very similar issue at our store where the flow team lead gave their key to a tm for cardboard. The team member lost the key and it was found by an OSHA inspector three weeks later. Guess what our store was fined? 10,000 on the spot, STL had to AMEX that fine before the inspector left. Do you feel that no one should be held responsible for that? God for bid that key be found by an untrained or a minor and they tried to use the bailer and got injured. do you think no one should be held accountable. Regardless of whose key's they are the person in possession of them at the moment they are lost are responsible for them as well as the person who lent them to them to complete a task. If you are given key's you are entrusted with a responsibility and the expectation that you are going act safely and maintain a safe working environment. Loosing keys in my opinion is equal to not showing up for work.......

Although I see your point in your post, our store had a very similar issue at our store where the flow team lead gave their key to a tm for cardboard. The team member lost the key and it was found by an OSHA inspector three weeks later. Guess what our store was fined? 10,000 on the spot, STL had to AMEX that fine before the inspector left. Do you feel that no one should be held responsible for that? God for bid that key be found by an untrained or a minor and they tried to use the bailer and got injured. do you think no one should be held accountable. Regardless of whose key's they are the person in possession of them at the moment they are lost are responsible for them as well as the person who lent them to them to complete a task. If you are given key's you are entrusted with a responsibility and the expectation that you are going act safely and maintain a safe working environment. Loosing keys in my opinion is equal to not showing up for work.......

Simple solution: The second you know you aren't able to find said keys, immediately disable the piece of equipment they belong to and get the locksmith and/or technician there that moment. $10,000 to spot is pocket change to you and me. So is the maybe $50-$300 it may cost to get that done.

Yes, if something like that somewhat unlikely event occurred, someone should most definitely be held accountable. But no one's job should be put at stake because of something that "could" happen. That's just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back