Animals in the Store

What is your store's policy on bringing animals to Target?

Guests don't even bother to state they are "service animals" because Target never says anything anyway.

This is a health code violation because we serve and sell food.

I never see this at my local Kroger, Meijer, etc.

You can ask if the animal is a service animal.
If they say yes, that pretty much ends the conversation, you can't ask what for, etc.
However, A service animal must be under the control of its handler.
Under the ADA, service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered.
So no service animals running around loose or in a basket.

People will bring their PETS in frequently but I draw the line when they are holding them & approach my counter.
I tell them that health code trumps 'emotional support animals'.
Usually they put the animal in their cart or send someone up to order for them.
Have yet to get a complaint.

In the past month, I have seen guests letting their dogs run around the store both leased and unleashed, 2 dogs almost get into a fight, dogs trying to jump up on counters, dogs allowed to poop on the floor and the owner walks away, etc. These are NOT service animals.

There is NO reason to bring your dog with you everywhere. Stores should be off-limits. Not everyone shares your affiinity for your pet.

I never had a problem with pets at my store, in fact seeing a dog there usually made my day, which is more than I can say for a lot of our human guests, because the pets were better behaved. ASANTS, but I never saw an unleashed pet in our store. One guest always came in with his cat on a leash, and that cat walked on a leash better than a lot of dogs, mine included.😁

In the past month, I have seen guests letting their dogs run around the store both leased and unleashed, 2 dogs almost get into a fight, dogs trying to jump up on counters, dogs allowed to poop on the floor and the owner walks away, etc. These are NOT service animals.

There is NO reason to bring your dog with you everywhere. Stores should be off-limits. Not everyone shares your affiinity for your pet.
Agreed.

I hate how in the US we are afraid to hold people accountable for their actions anymore. From pets to out-of-control kids to disruptive public conversations to mask-wearing, it's like the assholes of the world have taken over and decent people have to just suck it up.

Well here’s what I found

May be an image of text that says 'GlideRite aRite SENITRON'

happy-dog-shopping-target-zira-the-corgi-virgoprincxss-4.png

images

images

uu0owsl7ud301.jpg

kart2.jpg

9AcjX.jpg

It can be a six figure fine to the company to unlawfully discriminate against a service dog.

So I just stay out of it and strongly recommend that my team do the same.

So last night someone was walking around with their full grown dog in the store.

Since our cart attendant is only scheduled to 9:00 (WTF) I thought it would have been ironic if the dog urinated or defecated in the store.

I am trained to clean up all spills but I would refused to have cleaned up that!

One of my boys is scared of dogs (sensory disorders) & will start screeching if a dog runs up to him.
Service dogs move slowly & don't bark so he's ok but we still give them space.
Can't tell you how many times a dog runs up yapping, he freaks & the owner tells us 'oh, he's friendly' while my son is having a meltdown.

You can ask if the animal is a service animal.
If they say yes, that pretty much ends the conversation, you can't ask what for, etc.
However, A service animal must be under the control of its handler.
Under the ADA, service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered.
So no service animals running around loose or in a basket.

You can ask what they have been trained to do, just can't ask for a demonstration or ask additional questions.

And voice commands/signaling is okay if the person cannot use a physical harness/leash, or if the harness/leash would interfere with performance of duties.

Agreed.

I hate how in the US we are afraid to hold people accountable for their actions anymore. From pets to out-of-control kids to disruptive public conversations to mask-wearing, it's like the assholes of the world have taken over and decent people have to just suck it up.
Love this so much! Same thing holding our team members accountable. Show up on time, show up dressed for work, clean up after yourself, etc.

Last edited:
I don't get paid enough to either make it harder on someone who needs a legit service dog or to deal with entitled pet parents who could turn rabid at any moment.

I pretend dogs don't exist when I see them in the store. The other night there was a barking dog in the store, but it wasn't near me, but that's the first time I've ever heard a dog in the store.

Technically we can ask what services a service dog is trained to perform, as that could become quite relevant if, say, the dog is trained to alert when their person has a low blood sugar incident or a seizure and that information could help the employees and first responders help the person more quickly. In practice, yeah, since we can't actually enforce any policies Target has on things, I don't see much of a point in me confronting people about it.

Well here’s what I found

May be an image of text that says 'GlideRite aRite SENITRON''GlideRite aRite SENITRON'

happy-dog-shopping-target-zira-the-corgi-virgoprincxss-4.png

images

images

uu0owsl7ud301.jpg

kart2.jpg

9AcjX.jpg
I remember seeing the dog at the top before. People were giving the person who originally posted it grief not just because the dog was not supposed to even be there but because the dog was showing clear signs of stress. Dogs that are not a trained service animal have no business being in a store where they do not belong.

Back