Archived Another Xmas Eve callout question

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple weeks ago, I posted my xmas eve mid shift for electronics up, thinking nothing else beyond "why not? Maybe someone will take it and I'll have time to spend with family, one of whom is ill enough this is likely the last time I'll see her." Asked the one TL who's not on the Target Koolaid and who I trust to keep confidentiality how bad it would be to hypothetically call out that shift if it wasn't taken. She said worst case I may get coached, but I've been here a year so it's not like I'd be fired.

Wasn't planning to follow through with it until I heard an HR tm and a cashier both reviewing the swap shift form and bitching about how "these people who don't take their job seriously" specifically mentioning "the electronics tm" and making a fuss about shame on us. While I'm in the same room, for reals? And the HR of all people?

Now I'm really tempted to take it just because it seems like I've already been villainized. Yesterday a TL on my break saw my checking the form and told me, yes, while I was on my break, how no one would take it and I need to show up or else it would "be a bad dent on my record". I'm more than happy to take that coaching, just be ready to feel like the worlds biggest asshole telling off a TM
for taking time for a terminal family member and sanctioning him for it as a way of saying "Merry Xmas".

Sorry guys, but this inappropriate catty peer pressure and the extra dollar isn't enough to make me want to miss my family. Especially when my requests to open have been repeatedly been ignored because the TM who's always stoned and lost the keys twice wants it or else "he just won't show up". It's abundantly clear I'm not a favorite so is it worth just saying fuck it to all the bullshit holiday politics and spending that time with my family? I've already made my decision
I think, but I'm posting it here for third
party thoughts and it could change my mind if everyone is saying "don't
do it!"

Everybody wants to be agreeable with their bosses and not ask off Christmas Eve even though they want or need to. They figure there is no possible way that they will be scheduled anyway. When they do get scheduled, they get upset. If you know, you do not want to work during these hours, go to your ETL before the schedule is finished and let them know or ask off. A lot of ETL's will understand and agree to work with you sinc there are people who are willing to work during this time. I do agree that us being open late on Christmas Eve is wrong.

That's the problem with the swap shift board. Everyone already knows you want the time off, so if you call off, it becomes a problem.

The times I've called off, I call in and say I can't be at work today. I say it's a personal reason. Period. But by putting the shift up to swap, they now have ammunition against you.

Remember how you were treated by the HR and TL.

If they call you looking for help covering a call out, say no.

There are LODs that I despise and would not lift a finger to help them. I do my job and would never consider going above and beyond for them. They called me a couple times looking for someone to cover a shift and I immediately delete the voice mail.

wpid_are_you_fucking_kidding_me_guy_meme_face.jpg

Seriously Folks! Call out or don't. If your old enough to get a job then your old enough to decide what's best for YOU. You know the consequences the rest is up to you to decide.

That's the problem with the swap shift board. Everyone already knows you want the time off, so if you call off, it becomes a problem.

This is so true.

To the OP do what you need to do but if you want holidays off, people ask in advance. Your TL is right its not going to cost you your job, but it may change how some people view you. Now you may not even care but if you want to move up in the company these are things that can hurt.

I know leadership can seem very uncompassionate but there is nothing more frustrating then trying to adjust a schedule when the store is busy and you are stressed as it is. I personally dont care what days people take off but we are adults, if you want it off, ask in advance dont be flakey.

Family First.

My store had signs posted listing black out dates. No one was ALLOWED to request off.

The times I've called off, I call in and say I can't be at work today. I say it's a personal reason. Period. But by putting the shift up to swap, they now have ammunition against you.

I want to add to my post that if I was going to not be there no matter what, I wouldn't try and find someone via the swap shift board. I'd just call off.

I know I'll catch flack for this.

But I bet if you look at the grid a bunch of folks are off

Well, yeah, not like we're going to have EVERYONE scheduled each day. Although that would totally rock! However, those scheduled to have the day off didn't get to pick that day.

At the end of the day you have to do whats right for you and your situation. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty about doing what you have to do.Will someone have to work a little harder if you call out ? Sure. But call outs happen every single day. Spot cant think Christmas Eve would be any different. I very very rarely call out BUT if I was scheduled to close on Christmas Eve...I would strongly think about it . IF Spot was closing at 6 0r 8...then I would say you can still work and get home and spent time with family but Spot cant do that for some reason...

Last edited:
A signed order from a judge sounds like a custody arrangement situation where the parents probably arent on the best of terms and able to peacefully negotiate the situation to where the other parent takes them christmas eve instead.
exactly. They were not on the best of terms

i suggest taking the phone off the hook and
set it to a recording that "yes we are open till 11 tonight Christmas Eve" ,

and if "you are a team member calling off you will not get through to anyone,,, so please show up and work... or you will be a NCNS !!!"
i mean you had 2 weeks to tell someone about working christmas eve.

lol

@qmosqueen My mom might die, you insensitive prick. I asked for advice, not how best to punish those with dying family members and to be laughed at.

For those who gave legitimate advice, thank you. I am stuck in a difficult position and will do what I think is best. I will be letting management know what is going on in my personal life when I come in today. Hoping it goes well.

In another thread like this, I told a TM to suck it up, go to work.

HOWEVER ... I'm going to be more thoughtful here.

Your TL's and ETL's are corporate monkeys and their only consideration is their own asses.

Keeping that in mind you can still approach them and tell them that your family member is getting worse, and that you will definitely not be there for that shift. Cry if you must. You might never see them again. Lay it on thick.

Then be prepared to take your punishment.

If the job is more important to you than anything else, go to work. If you can find another job in a suitable time and not lose out on income then call in.

ETA: you posted while I was typing. I'm sorry about your mom. That truly sucks and I hope you guys get to spend time together.

In circumstances such as these, time with your mom is priceless. It's time you won't get back if you lose it and time you will remember when you miss her if she should pass. (Speaking from personal experience.) I hope your leadership will listen when you talk to them. Mine was very good when I was going through the same thing. I was even gone for six weeks at one point and came back to my job afterward as if I had never left. Family is the most important thing as far as I'm concerned. You can always get another job but you can't... well, you know. Hope your mom's health improves.

On a side note, if those who called out simply because they had "better things to do" or just "didn't feel like working" would refrain from doing so it wouldn't be so bad when those who needed to call out for family emergencies or illness had to. But anyway... we don't live in an ideal world.

@qmosqueen My mom might die, you insensitive prick. I asked for advice, not how best to punish those with dying family members and to be laughed at.

For those who gave legitimate advice, thank you. I am stuck in a difficult position and will do what I think is best. I will be letting management know what is going on in my personal life when I come in today. Hoping it goes well.
sorry call off your family comes first. I didn't mean to be insensitive, just thought that 2 weeks ago when the schedule came out you might have told someone your situation.

You have a special case and of course family comes first so please forgive me and I am truly sorry for your mom's health !! hope she gets better and wish everyone a happy healthy christmas.

Let me tell you a story that might shed some light on the topic.

When I was a younger man, I chased the dollar and worked all sorts of hours in quest of larger and larger paychecks. I would be well rewarded for my dedication every pay day, and it was a source of pride when I saw that pay-stub. No matter what day, no matter what hour, I went in.

There would be sunny Saturday mornings that I could have turned down the hours, and maybe had taken my Mom out to breakfast, or went shopping with her, or just spend time with her in general, but I figured there would always be time later for that. That right now, I needed to be a good little soldier and make bank.

Well, here we are in 2016 and my Mom has passed away. All that time I thought I had left while I was working? It turned out to be six years until she passed. Now, here we are and there are no more opportunities for brunches, listening to her tell stories from her childhood, helping her run her errands, or take her to a movie.

That money I made? It all got spent. None of it is left. So here I am with absolutely nothing left to show for all that time I spent working, except for some half-assed memories of busting my rear in a stuffy store.

The moral to my story is this: Any motivated fool with a strong back can make money. Cash can always be replaced. Time however? Entirely different prospect. Once it's gone, it's gone, and you're never getting once second of it back, so you better be really careful how you spend it unless you want to live with regret.

As you can see by reading the responses in this thread, no one gives a damn about you or what's really going with your life.

"Oh you're going to call out? How about the people coming to work? Now they have to pick up your slack." "Well the schedule was made 2 weeks ago, plenty of time to find someone to work for you. If not, your ass better be here." "Not available on Saturday? LOL!!!"

Be with your family. Your coworkers only think for themselves. Fuck them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back