Anxiety at work

I work in Starbucks and have been diagnosed with 3 types of anxiety General, Social and Panic disorder. None of my co workers really know anything except the girl I was working with at the time I had the attack. It made me pretty embarrassed that I had to go sit down in the back of Starbucks and collect myself and Finnish my shift. I’m afraid to mention it to my TL but its been happening more often lately going into the holidays. It’s just really embarrassing that I struggle with this and cant do anything about it and don’t know how my team lead will take it wet not really super close

I work in Starbucks and have been diagnosed with 3 types of anxiety General, Social and Panic disorder. None of my co workers really know anything except the girl I was working with at the time I had the attack. It made me pretty embarrassed that I had to go sit down in the back of Starbucks and collect myself and Finnish my shift. I’m afraid to mention it to my TL but its been happening more often lately going into the holidays. It’s just really embarrassing that I struggle with this and cant do anything about it and don’t know how my team lead will take it wet not really super close

I'd tell your TL but go in with ways they can help you when you have attack. They may also decide Starbucks isn't the right fit for you

I don’t know what your triggers are but I can tell you that being restricted to essentially standing in the same spot all day while lines build probably isn’t helping.

As someone who has suffered from anxiety for a long time I can tell you that being able to roam will greatly help. Also... remember to breathe.

You also NEED to see a counselor if you aren’t already. Don’t go on meds. They don’t fix anything. Talk through it. The sooner you go the better quality of life you will probably have for the rest of your life.

If you can’t afford it start eating rice. Afford it. Value yourself to go. Anyone in your life who talks down on it can fuck their ignorant self... or just don’t tell them.

As far as telling your team leader goes... you should because if they are empathetic or not the problem isn’t going away on its own, is it? You randomly ducking out without an explanation won’t go over well eventually.

Last edited:
Read this thread carefully.

Then start figuring out needed accommodations, and then talk to your TL and HR. Since it's an invisible disability you need to bring HR in early because your TL may not know what to do.

And definitely take care of yourself, mind and body. Don't forget that your brain is both, and needs physical nurturing. Proper sleep, proper diet. Talk to your doctor about proper treatment and stick to it, whether it be therapy, medication or both.

And join us in this thread.

Oh, it's awful.
I think you should feel comfortable consulting with your TL if it's affecting your job performance. Perhaps, he or she can help you by getting you into a different department if it's bad. Use the resources available through your benefits if you're eligible, and just hope for the best. I know there's a ton of anxiety consulting your TL about it, so just take it easy.

the mental illness thread we have is awesome, definitely use it to vent thoughts out and to help others!

Talk to a therapist and maybe look into medication that helps keep the heart rate low, that might help. Propranolol is a good one.

Thank you all for your reply’s I think I may talk to my team lead when I see him. I find my anxiety comes from stressing myself out or trying to aim for perfection and putting pressure on myself and I feel I should explain that to him I deeply love this job and wouldn’t wanna have another job or different co workers they all are extremely supportive! Getting fired over my anxiety would be the worst and I’m hoping it doesn’t happen!

Getting fired over your anxiety would be very, very difficult to be done legally unless your employer knows nothing about it. That's why you have to talk loud, talk fast.

And again I encourage bringing in HR. With a TL, it's hit or miss as to whether the person knows about the legalities involved with a disability in the workplace, especially an invisible disability. Your TL may give instructions that are the wrong thing to say or do, legally.

Getting fired over your anxiety would be very, very difficult to be done legally unless your employer knows nothing about it. That's why you have to talk loud, talk fast.

And again I encourage bringing in HR. With a TL, it's hit or miss as to whether the person knows about the legalities involved with a disability in the workplace, especially an invisible disability. Your TL may give instructions that are the wrong thing to say or do, legally.

Quoting this for truth.
HR might not know what they are doing either but the odds are better and you will have done the process.
I know it is hard but it is in your best interest to walk into that office, say the words ADA and anxiety.
They will have to take you seriously.

Getting fired over your anxiety would be very, very difficult to be done legally unless your employer knows nothing about it. That's why you have to talk loud, talk fast. ...... And again I encourage bringing in HR. With a TL, it's hit or miss as to whether the person knows about the legalities involved with a disability in the workplace, especially an invisible disability. Your TL may give instructions that are the wrong thing to say or do, legally.
I agree with your suggestions. My experience, and those of TMs whom I've worked with, is that Target really makes an effort to accommodate. While I've learned to be cautious around HR on many things, the area of disability accommodations where I think Target as a company is better than many.

Back