Any GM1's here?

I recently took a promotion to the GM1 position. I'm worried but excited at the same time, I've been in receiving for 5 years and always spent any down time helping everywhere and learning everything I could.

Before receiving, I have 3 years of flow/PA mixed in there too. I feel I have a great understanding of the role and have plenty of work to do.

However, I'm concerned because logistics in my store has gone through many ETL-Logs and Flow/GM1's about 6 of each in my 8 years, and only 1 ETL actually transferred out. Flow/GM1's record is about 30% stay and change position, the leftovers either quit or get fired.

I have always had a passion for the logistics end of things, but I wonder, is there any GM1 here who actually loves/likes their position?

Also, if you have any advice, I would be more than happy to hear it!

Last edited:
I don't know much about the specifics of PP1, but it took you 8 years working with Target to be promoted to TL? That's some dedication, don't think I would have done that myself. Hope you end up successful in the role and good luck!

I don't know much about the specifics of PP1, but it took you 8 years working with Target to be promoted to TL? That's some dedication, don't think I would have done that myself. Hope you end up successful in the role and good luck!

I really loved the receiving position and was satisfied being there until a position came up that I was excited to take. Also the GM1 had the right schedule for me too. I would have been promoted years ago would I had just taken anything.

Usually they shuffled around team leaders and basically forced someone into flow/GM1, probably explains why there's so much hatred for the position in my store.

I recently took a promotion to the GM1 position. I'm worried but excited at the same time, I've been in receiving for 5 years and always spent any down time helping everywhere and learning everything I could.

Before receiving, I have 3 years of flow/PA mixed in there too. I feel I have a great understanding of the role and have plenty of work to do.

However, I'm concerned because logistics in my store has gone through many ETL-Logs and Flow/GM1's about 6 of each in my 8 years, and only 1 ETL actually transferred out. Flow/GM1's record is about 30% stay and change position, the leftovers either quit or get fired.

I have always had a passion for the logistics end of things, but I wonder, is there any GM1 here who actually loves/likes their position?

Also, if you have any advice, I would be more than happy to hear it!
I’m a gmtl been one for years . The fact that you have background in reverse logistics is a asset for you . As for the other logistic part of it is what keeps the store going . I love my job probably one of the few that do , I also had and have sd that backs me up because of my knowledge and skills . I would say logistics is all about strategizing , managing and executing . Most important is to have your team on a routine and turn your c&b players into A players once you do that you manage less.

Back