Archived Anyone actually LOVE their job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of us use this forum to rant about our job and everything associated with it, but does anyone actually love what they do at Target?

Personally, I do. I work electronics and feel like I have an extra responsibility than a typical TM, and I am always hard at work trying to make the department look the best it could be. I have gotten recognized many times through top performers and TM of the month, but of course it's the pay that is not doing it for me. Even a 6.5% raise is really nothing when you're starting so low.

Point is, I actually look forward to work most days and I do feel like I get recognized for my work, but I'm almost done with school and will be forced to find a better paying job just for the sake of making a living. Like all of you, I just wish Target paid better but it's the nature of retail.

Anyway else love their job?

Most days, I look forward to going to work. This is my sounding board, but many people I work with, and many guests can be wonderful. I just don't look forward to the days I cashier.

I looked forward to work for a long time, but after i became a gsa things went slowly downhill. About the time i became a gsa a certain tm started and we dated for a while. All it did was complicate things up until i left. Then a change in management sealed the deal.

For the most part I enjoy my job but I don't love it . There are days where unreasonable expectations from ETLS make me want to pull my ****ing hair out . Oh sure , I can cover my department while helping out with their pulls and I guess I can help out with carts . Oh my 15 minute break ? Yeah , I guess I didn't need that anyway ...

I love my job. I'm going on two years with the company and have never had a better employer. That being said, I'm 21 and hate my peer group among coworkers, although since transferring I've found a store where the entire team's work ethic and attitude is much more positive and similar to my own. I also find the guest demographic here to be much kinder and willing to work with us instead of against us.

Do I get frustrated with Spot? Sure, their decision-making baffles me and they insist on controlling too many factors the stores should own, but as for my direct team and job... I'm content. I get to do enough different stuff throughout the week that every day feels unique. There is enough pattern and structure that you are always learning and perfecting and teaching. That's the fun stuff to me.

Enjoy my job some days, hate it the others. What gets me through the day are the people I work with. They've become like family to me, having worked with them for so long every day. Mostly the reason I haven't left yet is because of them.

I've been with Spot since I was in high school. Now that I'm getting closer to graduating from college and beginning a real career, I'm trying to decide if I should hang onto the job for summer cash, or if it would be more worth it to just leave altogether. Since I started transferring between a few stores in college, Target has just been a revolving door of faces to me. Most of my LOD's that were around for the first couple years quit or transferred out, and sales floor/cashier turnover is so high that there's only a very small handful of familiar people left.

While I've had good days and really bad days at work, Target's not that bad. My HR team has been really flexible and forgiving with my schedule, and I've gained the respect of leadership at both of my stores. When I finally do leave, I won't regret it.

I'd rather put my two weeks in and leave the right way, but I've caught myself daydreaming about having a bad day in electronics stuck dealing with an irate foreigner who, in frantic broken english, wants me to explain why a certain TV is on clearance, and why I can't go down on the price...just handing a TM my gear and walking out those doors...ahh.....

I loved my job up to the very last shift. It was the policies and leadership which I disliked.

Yeah tell me about it.... Loved 99% of my job, it was just everything from the Team Lead level and above that just sucked ass.. lol.

Most of us use this forum to rant about our job and everything associated with it, but does anyone actually love what they do at Target?

Personally, I do. I work electronics and feel like I have an extra responsibility than a typical TM, and I am always hard at work trying to make the department look the best it could be. I have gotten recognized many times through top performers and TM of the month, but of course it's the pay that is not doing it for me. Even a 6.5% raise is really nothing when you're starting so low.

Point is, I actually look forward to work most days and I do feel like I get recognized for my work, but I'm almost done with school and will be forced to find a better paying job just for the sake of making a living. Like all of you, I just wish Target paid better but it's the nature of retail.

Anyway else love their job?
It really depends on your perception of Target. If you are a young and recent hire, you would probably like it. Target is trendy and hip.

But being a former TM that work in the earlier 2000s. I saw the company change and it wasn't to benefit communities or TMs. It was all about the stock holders.

Advancement dewindled to almost nothing. Hours dropped. Veterans being pushed out. Benefits reduced.

Last edited:
Heres how I like to put it.

Oh you're new and you think Target is awesome? Just wait.....

I've wanted to ask this question myself on here. Yes. I absolutely love my job. Is it difficult and stressful some days? Yes, it is. When Spot decides to provide enough payroll for all the work to get done, that's when it is best. But when it doesn't, then I just do the best I can do. I look forward to going in to work everyday. I go in with a smile on my face. I enjoy working with my Target family. Our leadership team is even amazing. Sure, one of the execs gets on my nerves, but I still have respect. I also couldn't ask for a better STL than the one I have. I'm working my way up, and I am sure it will be different when I reach higher levels. But at the same time, my drive for results is one of my strengths, and I'm always trying to improve. I never thought retail would be my dream and passion, but it is.

Somedays they like you, somedays they treat you like sh#t. It's ok for a short stint not a long term career.

I can't stand it, I did absolutely hate it for a while but now I can get through the day with a little venting and drugs. Long term plans and Target do not go together for me any longer.

I really do like and enjoy my job although I wouldn't say "love". There are more great days than bad and I have an awesome leadership team (minus one). I enjoy helping guests and answering questions and making their day better but destructive guests get on my nerves. The only thing really mood killing for me are the people I have to work with who really HATE their jobs and therefore only do a minimal amount of anything.

I think I could.
There are some great people, the work itself is challenging and sometimes annoying but has enough cool aspects, I really enjoy the responsibility and autonomy.
Heck, I even enjoy helping the customers.

What kills me is the way Spot treats us.
The lack of communication and respect is painful to bear everyday.
Being talked down to by people half my age makes each day a little less easy to take..
I can survive having my hours cut and the crap insurance because my my wife is in a strong union but most of the folks can't.
Those are deal breakers when it comes down to loving my job.

Heres how I like to put it.

Oh you're new and you think Target is awesome? Just wait.....

I've been working for Target since 2007, as it was my first and only job. Now I'm about to graduate college, and am looking for something more in my field. I hear being an ETL just absolutely sucks though, and I don't want to hate my job. So for me it's be content and happy working at Target until I can get a good job in my field, then leave on good terms.

Now I remember hating my job back when I used to close all the time on the sales floor, but now that I open and have added responsibilities, it feels more than just a routine. I think that's the key to enjoying your job. I also love my direct TL and ETL, so that's always a positive factor. But I do totally understand when people at my store say they hate their job (even though it's generally the workers who don't work as hard as others).

I have a feeling this thread is crawling with corporate cronies.... Too... Much... Red... Koolaid...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back