Archived Anyone else do close-open shifts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I normally wouldn't complain about a shift like this, and most times if I ask, they'll move one of the shifts two hours for me (I'll leave before close or come in at 9/10 instead of 8am) but this time, they won't do it for me, because "I'm the only one available to do both of the shifts" yet we have another Guest Service TM who usually works Wednesday nights, but they refused to give her more than 1 day this week because she changed her availability due to school. She IS still available to work the Wednesday shift and even offered to switch a shift with me for this, but they denied it. They scheduled me to close Guest service Wednesday night (scheduled till 1am, but sometimes we don't get out until 1:30) they know I usually either walk/bike/bus ride to work, which takes me between an hour to two hours. So let's say I get out of work at 1:30am, get home around 2:30-3am. Then I have to turn right back around and wake up at 5am to leave my house by 6am to get to work by 8. Can they do this? My ETL and the HR people know my situation for travel as I've discussed this many times with them. What should I do?

Attachments

• tgt screenshot.png
    tgt screenshot.png
    16 KB · Views: 98
Welcome to the world of clopening.
There used to be a policy of having at LEAST 8 hrs between shifts, operative words being 'used to'.

There used to be a policy of having at LEAST 8 hrs between shifts, operative words being 'used to'.

My HR still has this policy. I have a similar couple of shifts this weekend that I complained to her about, and she said she would change it for me so I can leave early.

I don't know what you can do but explain to them again your situation with transportation and how you can't work with such little sleep.

My HR still has this policy. I have a similar couple of shifts this weekend that I complained to her about, and she said she would change it for me so I can leave early.

I don't know what you can do but explain to them again your situation with transportation and how you can't work with such little sleep.
Exactly what I tried doing, but my ETL-GE's response was "Sorry, one of the TMs had an availability change, one is on vacation, one is in the Cash office, and nobody else can work Service Desk either of those shifts" which is all a load of crap, considering one of them offered to switch that shift with one of their GS shifts another day, yet she denied the swap. This store is ridiculous sometimes.

Talk to your ETL HR or even your STL if they're any good. Explain your situation with transportation and the other TM who would take your shift. It just sounds like your ETL GE is a jerk. Someone's got to listen.

I think your problem is that the service desk needs to be covered for open and close, and so they can't just move your hours around, but there's no reason they shouldn't accept the person taking your shift. I don't condone it normally, but you could call in that morning if you're really unable to suffer through it. It sounds like you gave them the chance to have that shift covered. Not that that would help your cause, but I'd say it'd be a justified call off.

Why in the hell do you have to be there until 1am?! I never get scheduled past 9pm when I close!

Also there has GOT to be an actual reason they won't switch your shift. That's absolutely ridiculous.

Why in the hell do you have to be there until 1am?! I never get scheduled past 9pm when I close!

Also there has GOT to be an actual reason they won't switch your shift. That's absolutely ridiculous.
Close is at Midnight, and we're a high volume store, most times the last guest is out the door around 12:30. After closing service desk, I'll be done with that around 12:45, then have to help with zoning and go-backs, which usually we're held until 1:30, rare cases a little later than that.

Close is at Midnight, and we're a high volume store, most times the last guest is out the door around 12:30. After closing service desk, I'll be done with that around 12:45, then have to help with zoning and go-backs, which usually we're held until 1:30, rare cases a little later than that.

Oooh that kinda sucks. We close at ten but GS always closes an hour early, except for during the holidays sometimes. We also NEVER have to stay past whenever the last guest leaves, which is usually no more than five minutes past close.

Oooh that kinda sucks. We close at ten but GS always closes an hour early, except for during the holidays sometimes. We also NEVER have to stay past whenever the last guest leaves, which is usually no more than five minutes past close.

Guest Service closing before the rest of the store? That sounds nice.

I WISH that would happen to us. We're always kept at LEAST 45 minutes after closing. Last night, we closed at 11 (Sundays we close an hour early) and the LOD told us we should expect to leave around 11:30. Hardlines left at 11:50, Grocery at 12:00, and the cashiers, GS, and softlines were all held to finish softlines until about 12:40, 1:40 past closing.

I used to get shifts like that, then I let the etl hr and stl know "that target will be held responsible when I have a car accident on my way to or from that opening shift." It doesn't happen to me anymore.
Eeerrrrrr the insurance you should legally have on your vehicle that target pays you to be able to pay off should take care of that..

I used to get shifts like that, then I let the etl hr and stl know "that target will be held responsible when I have a car accident on my way to or from that opening shift." It doesn't happen to me anymore.
Eeerrrrrr the insurance you should legally have on your vehicle that target pays you to be able to pay off should take care of that..

It is highly unlikely car insurance will take care my kids if I die or am disabled due to Targets lack of respect for me as a person. Let me clarify for you . . . Let's say I get out of work at 11pm, have a 20 minute drive home, get home and into bed by 11:45. Hopefully I will be able to go to sleep within 15 minutes. That puts the time at midnight. Since I am scheduled to be back at 5am that means I need to get up at 4am to get showered & ready for work & be there by 5. So, get to sleep at midnight and up at 4am equals 4 hours of sleep. How many tragedies are caused by exhausted drivers?:(

Please, what court in America is going to side with Target when a single mom, working 2 jobs, falls asleep at the wheel because Target couldn't be bothered to make sure she had a reasonable amount of time off between shifts?

Your ETL's 'reasoning' is bullsh!t, especially in light of the fact that there is someone else willing & able to take the shift. Can you talk to the ETL-HR? They're supposed to carry a little more weight & you could throw in that whole "work-life-sleep" balance thing.
Too bad someone couldn't let your HRBP see this.....

I get these shifts every other week or so- it's doubly bad for me because my opening shifts are almost always cash office. I told my ETL-GE "I am not my best self when I can only get four hours of sleep between shifts." It didn't change anything, but I sure enjoyed the look on his face.

When I was with spot I had at least one or two of these every week, and I always had to be in at 6 for PA duties. I'll never forget, after I put in my 2 weeks, my CTL was complaining about closing Saturday and having to be back at 6 Sunday for adset. I looked right at him and said "I don't want to hear it I do that all the time with no complaints. Shut up". He realized I was right and sheepishly looked at the ground.

When I interviewed at Trader Joe's, they asked what I would prefer to work, I told them I was used to everything and would often work til 10:30 or 11 and be back at 6 am the next day and both managers just looked at me in horror and said that never happens there. In the 3 months since the only time I've closed and then been back before 10 am the next day it was because someone asked me to switch with them.

Who hasn't closed then opened the next morning? It sucks, but I, along with just about everyone else in my store, have gotten used to it. It's not nearly as bad as being scheduled to close, then having to do truck or signing the next morning.

When I worked hardlines clopening was common. Backroom, not so much. Now I'm in Produce which is a specialty department and I've never done it. Team members get in trouble if they don't have eight hours in between shifts at my store. However it's up to the team member to notice a gap smaller than eight hours, and they must talk to the ETL or HR to fix it ahead of time. Most of the time it's due to an error with MyTime, nothing personal.

I did those when I worked the bookstore.
The only nice thing about it was knowing exactly what the place was going to look like when you walked in the door.
The bad part (besides not getting any sleep) was the weird feeling a few hours in that I had never left.

Guest Service closing before the rest of the store? That sounds nice.

Why wouldnt it? Are people really coming in past 9 or so to return items. At my store the GSA/GSTL or a guest service trained cashier is always there anyway so its never a big deal at all. We close at 10 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back