Archived Anyone else hate their job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A big part of this is the state of the company. It is hard to enjoy a job when you feel like things are about drop out from under you at any second. It is not easy to enjoy working when you have seen hours cut, leadership positioned slashed, corporate cut, Target Canada killed off and now the Pharmacy as well. Target was bad when I left I can not imagine how bad it has become. Every AE you have wonder will you still be around? Evert time Target can not figure out how to do the basics of running a department store you have to wonder if your job will be farmed out to another company. I know it is not easy and likely to keep getting worse. If you can get out, do so. Even if you have to wait a year to do so. Come up with your exit plane and get out.

Unfortunately, Target did well last quarter. As most business oriented articles pointed out, it was due to its aggressive cost cutting. (Yes, I feel the cost cutting, only had BDay treats and 2 other inexpensive snacks in the break room this month. ) Anyway, Target beat out other retailers, including Kohls and Walmart; both of which have revised downward their quarterly earning outlook for the rest of the year.

So unfortunately I don't expect the cost cutting and hence the apathy that seems prevalent in many stores to go away anytime soon.

I love my team, they're all pretty fly dudes and lady dudes, but i absolutely hate being in the lot on a cart attendant shift and wish i could get more cashiering shifts.

I don't hate the actual work or the people. I hate the inconsistent schedule, the variation in hours. I also need medical. I get that lots of companies don't and never did offer health coverage for PTers, but I'm only PT because I keep missing it by 2 hours or less and it seems like they do that on purpose.

I don't hate the actual work or the people. I hate the inconsistent schedule, the variation in hours. I also need medical. I get that lots of companies don't and never did offer health coverage for PTers, but I'm only PT because I keep missing it by 2 hours or less and it seems like they do that on purpose.

If it's that you're being scheduled for 28 hours or so, pick up a shift in the Swap Book. If you already are picking up shifts and are still coming up short, you may need to work elsewhere for employment. With 4th Quarter around the corner, hours should definitely pick up and be easier to hit 30 hours each week.

We have one cashier who is scheduled 22-26 hours, mostly because she always says yes to coming in early or on her day off, and will stay late too. However, they refuse to get her to 30 hours to avoid offering her insurance. She is always scrambling for an extra shift to hit 30 hours to keep her family's coverage. She will then work two 4 hour shifts if there is only an hour between them where she just hangs out in the break room.

Agreed. For instance, I don't love urine or feces.

I get scheduled 36- 40 for months then I'll get dropped down to 24 for a few weeks and I have to try to make deals with people to get other 4 or 5 hour shifts to match up with mine. Since we all get dropped at once, it's harder to find people who are giving hours away. I keep thinking I'm gonna make it, then at the end of the year my avg is like 28 or 29. Luckily, I was covered under my mom's insurance until last December so all my big stuff has been taken care of. My Obama medicaid isn't bad, tbh. I just have less choice in doctors and mental health coverage is abysmal. I'm sure tgt insurance isn't even as great as my mom's was.

I'm looking elsewhere for employment. Idk anyone who isn't other than the people who are just trying to stay with tgt until they hit retirement age in the near future.

I wouldn't say hate. Hate is a strong word....... Dislike is more like it:) I have my good days and my bad days. People calling off me having to clean up the slack ( this happens alot) or no calls/no shows. Basically no cares...... This makes me dislike my job........ When we have a full crew everything is a-ok and I like my job but as I said things have been pretty much sliding down hill and no one cares. It stinks.....

Eh, not really. But I /do/ hate doing the cashier. It's not that hard, but since I have ADHD I find it really hard to stay in one place and not move at all. That and the whole cashier process for some reason just stresses me out. I think it's because I don't want to get yelled at or create a hard time for the customers. This isn't a problem for me though when I work at the Food Avenue since I get to move around a lot more and people seem more patient.

I strongly dislike my job at Target. The stress of trying to get RedCards, and now the lack of rewards (incentives) when one actually gets a RedCard sign up makes for a painfully long 4-5 hours. The only thing I like about Target is the Swap Book where I can give away my shifts, my little 10% discount, my coworkers, and my paycheck.

There were days on flow or backroom where I wanted to burn the store down, but those were rare. Doing what I do now, I'm getting way more hours than I was previously getting without all of the stress and ridiculous demands (so far).

Spot isn't my career, it's supposed to be a means to an end. It's making my car payment, allowing me to have a little fun, and most importantly it's going to enable me to go back to school. I'm going back in 2016 for my BA in Business Admin/Accounting and getting into the field I actually want to work in. I've thought about pursuing a TL position, but I do I really want all the added stress for not much more money? I don't think so...

I hope I never have to feel like that!

I was full on emotional today:(:( we were out of something today and they yelled at me and said this is why I hate this stupid store it is stupid employees like you that can't keep the shelves full! I said I was so sorry etc etc and I had a LOD come over and by then the guest stomped away.... Too little too late......I had to go to the bathroom because tears had started forming:(:(:( Days like these I really really dislike my job even more and I never ever cry.

*me fixes TeamRed an iced caramel machiatto w/a hug

A couple yrs back our register at SB was down for a whole freakin' week.
They kept sending out techs who didn't seem to know their head from their a$$.
We had to send folks over to FA to ring out (we made them a scan sheet) & we were constantly getting reamed out by guests for something we had NO control over.
I couldn't even duck into the walk-in to cry because I froze my lashes once.

I was full on emotional today:(:( we were out of something today and they yelled at me and said this is why I hate this stupid store it is stupid employees like you that can't keep the shelves full! I said I was so sorry etc etc and I had a LOD come over and by then the guest stomped away.... Too little too late......I had to go to the bathroom because tears had started forming:(:(:( Days like these I really really dislike my job even more and I never ever cry.

I'd say, don't let assholes like that get to you, but that's easy to say from out here when one of them isn't yelling in my face.
The fact is most of the time, except on the phone, people don't yell at me.
I tend to make people uncomfortable when getting pushy like that.

Next time someone goes off on you like that imagine them getting eaten by bears or something equally enjoyable.
So while they are yelling at you, just picture a large grizzly tearing their head off, so you can just smile at them and make them wonder why they aren't getting to you.
The reason they haven't upset you... you've pictured they're arms and legs being snapped off and used as chew toys.
It'll make the next unpleasant customer (not a frelling guest) much easier to handle.

Last edited:
I've had TL dangled in front of me a couple times before. Both times it has been when payroll is sparse, morale is down, we're one GSA short... basically they dangle the carrot to A) get me to do the workload of a mutant super GSA and B) make sure I don't quit. I've done mock interviews and all of that shit.

Then (when the rest of the store is doing A-OK again) they tell me the front-end's REDcard numbers are too low for me to even be considered for TL at this time.

Yup, sounds about right. Especially the part about them dangling the carrot to get you to do more work, but never holding up their end of the deal. "Try doing X, Y and Z - it'll be good for your development." Kiss my ass, I know what's in the Kool Aid and I'm not drinking.

I don't particularly enjoy what I'm doing at target at all. Every part of my makeup wants me to say "I'm above working at target I hate my job, etc etc etc" because I went from making $19 an hour in a cushy desk job with amazing benefits and 40 hours a week advancing my skills in my chosen field to $9 an hour at target just to scrape by with the bills I could afford making 40k a year fresh out of college. But I remind myself why I'm in the situation, no one else will hire me. I am practically the least desirable person to hire now just because I am being charged for two very serious bank robberies, I'm not even a convicted felon. The people at my store decided to look past two large negatives I had against me. A) I am being charged with two bank robberies that have been all over the news, a simple Google search of my real name comes back all with crap like my mug shot and news stories. B) I was fired from my last job for accusations of selling drugs to co workers (Yeah! They were trying to find a way to get rid of me so being a large private corporation they made a great story about how I was dealing ecstasy at work). Even though the police searched everything and everywhere, and drug tests negative they were within legal rights to fire me with 0 proof or evidence.

It took a LONG time before I realized that not one of these last hundred companies have gotten back to me or responded to communication because my recent track record is SO batshit crazy, that any sane HR person would burn my resume and application as fast as possible. When I heard target is taking a new approach and giving those with criminal records a second chance I applied and was happy to show them who I really was in person. I'm forever grateful to the HR woman at my store for giving me a shot at starting over. I'm lucky to have a job at all. Do I like what I do? No, but I don't hate it because it's true that you don't know what you have until it's gone. I am still able to afford my mortgage, car, and everything else because I am also lucky enough to have the best, strongest wife in the world who stuck around through it all. It helps she makes more than I did at my last job too with great benefits.

Just like I tell guests when they spend a ton of money they didn't intend to. I give them the receipt and tell them how much they saved. I tell them that I like to look at what I saved, not what I spent. You are where you are today because of, whether you realize it or not, your past actions and decisions. Whether they are directly related to how you feel about your career and your job, or your current position is a result of many actions and decisions made over time that resulted in you having a job you hate for 5 years. Look at what you do have. What would you do if you lost it all, with little hope of getting it back? Be grateful for what you have even if what you have sucks a lot of the time. Only you can change your life for the better, and I can't tell you how to do that.

Be the change you want to see in your life! (Yeah that is some new age crap I read on a poster, but it's true)

@cgiguy I'm genuinely curious. Why did you choose to rob banks? Did you believe you would succeed, but your plans didn't go as well as you thought? Was it a last ditch effort? No judgement. Just curious. Feel free to just say you'd rather not answer.

Sadly the culture at Target has changed over the past year. They will have to keep taking resources away from the store levels in order to make profit and keep the share holders happy. Morale at my store is at an all time low. Our retention rate is RED. In the past week we have lost a Senior TL, a TL and a GSA. Getting pretty scary.

I'm in an awkward place with spot. I had resigned to the fact that my situation (college degree, cashier pay, better job leads never panned out) sucked and contributed to my depression. I was ready to quit by the first week of August. Then I got promoted. And now I don't know how to feel about my job. People recognize me for doing good, and I'm just like "I'm winging it. I got lucky. Stop."
But it's okay, when I get home, my sister and mom remind me, I still have plenty of time to do something with my life, like get another degree or teach.

I have no idea how our turnover is green. So many people have left since we got a new STL last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back