Anyone else started loosing hours

Is anyone else loosing hours before the holidays. My team members noticed hours dropped after this week. What caused hours to go down or possibility

Yes. Losing hours while they're going on a hiring spree for 4Q.

Not saying we shouldn't be getting seasonal support, but if you hire fewer seasonal employees and increase the hours for everyone else, you can keep payroll the same. Also, you'll have stronger teams on the floor.

Is anyone else loosing hours before the holidays. My team members noticed hours dropped after this week. What caused hours to go down or possibility
yes, our front end is losing hours. New seasonal hires coming in and getting more hours than us. What the real kick in the teeth will be is when most of the seasonal people will get Thanksgiving off... They do it every year at my store.

We’ve only got two weeks before we write the schedule that we NEED hired, trained seasonal employees.

There are a lot of scheduling strategies that require quite a few seasonal (including the because I don’t know what I’m doing strategy). I schedule more people shorter shifts because with long shifts I get more call offs that I can’t get covered.

I have six shifts up on swap this week that no one will pick up despite several people complaining about hours so I’m over caring about people who want more hours.

My hours have been increasing for the last two weeks. We also have two trainees in our department (market). And they have been adding hours during the week.

We’ve only got two weeks before we write the schedule that we NEED hired, trained seasonal employees.

There are a lot of scheduling strategies that require quite a few seasonal (including the because I don’t know what I’m doing strategy). I schedule more people shorter shifts because with long shifts I get more call offs that I can’t get covered.

I have six shifts up on swap this week that no one will pick up despite several people complaining about hours so I’m over caring about people who want more hours.
Wow kinda happening at my store..:I don’t mind picking up shifts on my days off when I’m not getting my hours .....yes I agree a lot of people always complain and decline the hours Their problem....plus the past years I’ve worked holidays and I love it! I never call out!

Thanksgiving is a toughie bc yes, lots of seasonals get it off but lots of old-timers don't mind working it bc of the time-and-a-half pay. I, myself, would much rather work Thanksgiving than Christmas Eve.
Agreed that’s me basically! I never request days off that’s why I was shocked when I dropped to 2 days off a week to 3 days off and then I don’t mind coming in days off it’s like my regular long weeks I get.

No, my hours are pretty tight. Nothing loose about them. :p

On the latest schedule I'm schedule for 40. I went to HR and said, ummm I hardly ever leave on time because I have to finish up my last pick and check in with leadership so it would be better kicking me back down to 39 hours a week. I was told 40 is likely going to just be the way it is for the next two months. Long lunches on Saturday here I come, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Same issue in my store. Tm's opinions in my store is: they want 40 hrs stretched out over 5 days, NOT 40 hrs stretched out over 7 DAYS! sounds reasonable to me...

I schedule more people shorter shifts because with long shifts I get more call offs that I can’t get covered.
That is really weird. An 8 hour shift is a good day, worth coming in for. A 4 hour day? That's too short to be worth the effort of getting dressed in the right colors and traveling to and from. 5.5 is barely worth it. I'd expect a lot more call outs for shorter shifts.

That is really weird. An 8 hour shift is a good day, worth coming in for. A 4 hour day? That's too short to be worth the effort of getting dressed in the right colors and traveling to and from. 5.5 is barely worth it. I'd expect a lot more call outs for shorter shifts.
Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but yes I would much rather be scheduled longer hours.

Same issue in my store. Tm's opinions in my store is: they want 40 hrs stretched out over 5 days, NOT 40 hrs stretched out over 7 DAYS! sounds reasonable to me...

I'm not even looking for 40 hours or even to be eligible for benefits. I would be thrilled with 28-29 hours over five days. That's it, not like I'm asking for the moon!

My theory is that if you’ve got 40 hours on the schedule, you talk yourself into thinking you can make ends meet on 32. So call out one day because “tired.”

But if you’ve only got 20 hours you aren’t sure you can eat that week so show up.

I don’t like it, but if I can’t count on people that’s what I have to do to make my ends meet so...

My theory is that if you’ve got 40 hours on the schedule, you talk yourself into thinking you can make ends meet on 32. So call out one day because “tired.”

But if you’ve only got 20 hours you aren’t sure you can eat that week so show up.

I don’t like it, but if I can’t count on people that’s what I have to do to make my ends meet so...
Wow. That's sociopathic.

Nope. Lots of hours one week or maybe even for several is when I figure "make hay while the sun shines" and then when hours are spare after the holidays, I'm still able to pay my bills even though the paychecks are smaller. Between Target and other work, I might be working 60 hours a week sometimes and that's just fine. I really am tired, no faking necessary, but come January, it'll be way fewer hours.

Wow. That's sociopathic.

What's sociopathic?

If I have double digit call outs in a week when I give fewer people more hours, and can't get those hours picked up, my department looks like shit.

If I give more people less hours, I get less call outs AND people who want to pick up shifts and my department looks good.

It's a side effect of having tons of college students. They work for fun money. If they can't afford fun, they work. If they can afford fun, they call out.

What's sociopathic?

If I have double digit call outs in a week when I give fewer people more hours, and can't get those hours picked up, my department looks like shit.

If I give more people less hours, I get less call outs AND people who want to pick up shifts and my department looks good.

It's a side effect of having tons of college students. They work for fun money. If they can't afford fun, they work. If they can afford fun, they call out.
I get it. It sucks that it has to be that way, but if that is what you discovered works through trial and error, then as a boss that's what you have to do.

Anyone who has been a leader/schedule maker has encountered employees who constantly complain about not getting enough hours, yet they also call out constantly. It's ridiculous. Show up for your shifts, prove you are reliable, and maybe when some extra hours open up they will be tossed your way, despite the corporate mindset that hours must be distributed fairly. It would also help if attendance policies were enforced and the offending TMs were written up and then termed.

No. That rationale makes zero sense. 8 hours, the pay amount is roughly $80 in the bank. 4 hours, maybe half that. Which amount of money will you have greater incentive?

Plus not just money, but value of time. Think about the end of an 8 hour shift. You feel your day was productive. 4 hours, it feels like a waste because you did so little and was there so little, and you should have just stayed home and play video games.

Back