Archived Anyone ever acted as GSTL when you haven't started training or been certified as GSA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxTheDudexx

Front of Store Attendant
So today was supposed to be my day off. I work as cashier since November last year and most recently Guest Service since about 2 months ago. That's it. I got a phone call asking me to come in and act as GSA because our lead GSTL called off today and although they are planning on training me to become a GSA but first need to train another at the service desk first to replace me. So I came in. Got GSTL keys, LPDA, and walkie and ran the front end to close tonight. I don't even have a supervisor key yet. I'd have had to have an LOD for any overrides. Turns out I only had to call up the LOD once to learn how to get change for one of the registers. Has this ever been done before that you have heard of? I was flattered they had that level of confidence in me and I did fine (and was thanked many times over by the closing LOD). I even trained two new cashiers for the first time. I just thought it was odd that they allowed me to do that even though I was in no way certified and had no experience training. Just curious because I feel like I'm so new to the company and am already being asked to perform this duty when there are others that have been there far longer than I have.

You'll find out very early that seniority doesn't hold much when it comes to Spot. I'd take it as a compliment that you're trusted with that responsibility. Honestly, your situation is similar to mine (albeit I had been working @ Target longer than 6 months), but it has some similar aspects. They'll sometimes throw you in an uncomfortable situation and see how you react, and if you only had to call the LOD once during a closing shift I'd say you did pretty well.

Talk to your HR about getting supervisor numbers. They ultimately have to put you in the system as a GSA, so you can be keyed in on a register by another supervisor. Also talk to your HR about your pay grade difference. You don't want to GSA without being given the extra 50 cents (yes 50 cents isn't a lot but hey, it helps). Make sure you tell them you have not been trained before, and you'd like to be trained before you continue solo shifts. Trust me, some situation specific advice from other GSA/GSTLs is GOLDEN when you are first starting. You'll also need to be trained in the Cash Office as that is a core role for the GSA position.

You are going to want to have the conversation with your HR or ETL-HR as soon as possible. I say this because sometimes GSAs do get Cashier/Guest Service shifts, so there always will be time to train the TM replacing your Guest Service hours.

Altogether, take it as a compliment that they have plans for you - but don't let it go to your head.

Welcome to The Break Room btw, keep posting what happens.

Before I had been transferred/promoted and was still a guest service TM, I was shopping in my store around 730pm in the middle of the week. I was only working two or three days a week at that point, but they rarely called anybody in. Well, there was a (relatively) newbie cashier who had the breaker sheet at her lane. No GSTL to be found. Service desk was a mess, hanger bin was overflowing, and backup was bad. The cashier told me the GSTL had a medical emergency and had to leave, and the LOD (ETL-HR) told her to manage breaks and call her when she needed change/overrides. I shrugged it off, and went to TSC to check my schedule for the weekend. Well, the LOD was sitting at the TSC computer checking her email or whatever, and I asked if the GSTL was alright. She said yeah, she'll be back tomorrow. Jokingly, she asked if I wanted to stay and run the lanes tonight. Ironically, I had an extra set of red/khaki in my trunk and said "sure, why not?". She was surprised, but told me to get changed and then she'd clock me in. I had only watched the lanes a few times, but I was well aware of the closing procedures, carts, zone, etc. The only thing I was unsure about was the physical banking of the lanes, which the LOD did with me.

She, a few months later, was instrumental in getting me my promotion/transfer to the GSA role elsewhere in the district.

Moral of the story: Be flexible, always be ready to wow and impress your execs, and prepare for the unexpected!

You'll find out very early that seniority doesn't hold much when it comes to Spot. I'd take it as a compliment that you're trusted with that responsibility. Honestly, your situation is similar to mine (albeit I had been working @ Target longer than 6 months), but it has some similar aspects. They'll sometimes throw you in an uncomfortable situation and see how you react, and if you only had to call the LOD once during a closing shift I'd say you did pretty well.

Talk to your HR about getting supervisor numbers. They ultimately have to put you in the system as a GSA, so you can be keyed in on a register by another supervisor. Also talk to your HR about your pay grade difference. You don't want to GSA without being given the extra 50 cents (yes 50 cents isn't a lot but hey, it helps). Make sure you tell them you have not been trained before, and you'd like to be trained before you continue solo shifts. Trust me, some situation specific advice from other GSA/GSTLs is GOLDEN when you are first starting. You'll also need to be trained in the Cash Office as that is a core role for the GSA position.

You are going to want to have the conversation with your HR or ETL-HR as soon as possible. I say this because sometimes GSAs do get Cashier/Guest Service shifts, so there always will be time to train the TM replacing your Guest Service hours.

Altogether, take it as a compliment that they have plans for you - but don't let it go to your head.

Welcome to The Break Room btw, keep posting what happens.

I talk with them constantly. Believe me. Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

Before I had been transferred/promoted and was still a guest service TM, I was shopping in my store around 730pm in the middle of the week. I was only working two or three days a week at that point, but they rarely called anybody in. Well, there was a (relatively) newbie cashier who had the breaker sheet at her lane. No GSTL to be found. Service desk was a mess, hanger bin was overflowing, and backup was bad. The cashier told me the GSTL had a medical emergency and had to leave, and the LOD (ETL-HR) told her to manage breaks and call her when she needed change/overrides. I shrugged it off, and went to TSC to check my schedule for the weekend. Well, the LOD was sitting at the TSC computer checking her email or whatever, and I asked if the GSTL was alright. She said yeah, she'll be back tomorrow. Jokingly, she asked if I wanted to stay and run the lanes tonight. Ironically, I had an extra set of red/khaki in my trunk and said "sure, why not?". She was surprised, but told me to get changed and then she'd clock me in. I had only watched the lanes a few times, but I was well aware of the closing procedures, carts, zone, etc. The only thing I was unsure about was the physical banking of the lanes, which the LOD did with me.

She, a few months later, was instrumental in getting me my promotion/transfer to the GSA role elsewhere in the district.

Moral of the story: Be flexible, always be ready to wow and impress your execs, and prepare for the unexpected!

I am always flexible. I come in 99.9 percent of the times they have asked me to stay or come in on my days off. I'm never late (only once because of my dog breaking his lead and having to track him down) always show up in time for about 20 minutes of time to spare just so I can mess with the ladies in TSC. Called off only once because I felt like I was going to pass out every time I stood up. Bottom line I'm a very committed person and it was reflected in my review. I'm not letting it get to my head, I just was thinking it would take longer to be moving up in that way. GSA was my goal since I learned what a GSA was. Still has to happen of course. But still. Thanks for your input, will keep you posted.

Ironically, I had an extra set of red/khaki in my trunk

Moral of the story: Be flexible...... and prepare for the unexpected!
^Best advice ever.
Good to know I'm not the only one who stashes a red & khaki change in the car ;)

Not unusual within spot. Like the others said it just means that they think that you are trust worthy, reliable, and competent to do the job. Pretty much how internal promotions happen, first you do the job for 6 months without pay and then you get the promoted! Its all about taking on responsibility that isn't necessarily yours if you want to get ahead!!

Not unusual within spot. Like the others said it just means that they think that you are trust worthy, reliable, and competent to do the job. Pretty much how internal promotions happen, first you do the job for 6 months without pay and then you get the promoted! Its all about taking on responsibility that isn't necessarily yours if you want to get ahead!!

That's exactly how I got promoted - as a guest service tm I was met at the door several times by my HR as I came in for my shift: "GSA called out for tonight, can you watch the lanes?!" Usually followed by, "oh, yeah, your cart attendant called out and your Target cafe closer NCNS'd again! Good luck" LOL

One time, our closing GSA called in and no one else was available to be called in, so our executive interns watched the lanes. They had covered breaks before, but the LOD helped them with closing the registers, 239, etc. Another time, a Guest Service TM watched the lanes while another GSA was on her 15 because no one else in the building besides the LOD was GSA trained and the LOD didn't care all that much. Luckily, both occasions were quiet nights.

I almost always cover my gstl's breaks and lunches and breaks when I'm not in a specialty area, and especially on Wednesday nights when one of our SrTL's is LOD and ETL-HR and STL close. None if them wants to cover the lanes and they usually all end up eating lunch in the control room while watching me. I do enjoy doing it but I find it silly that they love having me cover but passed me over for seasonal GSA this Christmas and permenant GSA a few years ago when I interviewed. Oh Target.
(Btw, not trained on GSA at all, just fitting room, sf, electronics, and guest service)

Fun fact: Electronics TMs can be keyed as supervisors, but Guest Service/Photo TMs cannot.

Hmm..... I should hint at this next time they have me cover.. Depending on who is there, sometimes the GSTL will just give me a slip with their numbers on it or otherwise I just have to call an LOD over for overrides.

Hmm..... I should hint at this next time they have me cover.. Depending on who is there, sometimes the GSTL will just give me a slip with their numbers on it or otherwise I just have to call an LOD over for overrides.

I'm surprised they would give you their numbers on a piece of paper. They either have a lot of confidence and trust in you or they are naive. They have to answer to any overrides that come into question on their numbers. I've never been that lucky. I always have to call another team member with a supervisor key when I'm watching the lanes. I've watched them twice now. So far I haven't needed to call for a supervisor key though. Been lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back