Archived Anyone familiar with write up policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I have ratted out the team lead on break who answered her walkie? Should I have not helped an elderly woman get a cart on the way to the break room? Man, there are some really petty people at your store. Sounds like they are looking for excuses to get rid of you. I'm sorry you're going through this ☹️

Should I have ratted out the team lead on break who answered her walkie? Should I have not helped an elderly woman get a cart on the way to the break room? Man, there are some really petty people at your store. Sounds like they are looking for excuses to get rid of you. I'm sorry you're going through this ☹

I'll punch out, make a few purchases at the self checkouts and on my way out of the store notice the carts all over the front end blocking at least one of the exits. I'll take a minute and line them up. My ETL saw me do this once and thanked me (even though I was off the clock and ready to head out.)

Before modernization you're situation would have been an non-issue. Unfortunately now they are looking for reason to get rid of anyone for any (or no) reason.

Sorry to hear that your leaders are so chickenshit. ASANTS, but at my store before Modernization you couldn’t be written up for hearsay, but at this point, who knows? Sounds like they are grasping at straws for a reason to write you up and performance you out. My advice is to start looking for a new job and get out before they term you, especially if you do not have benefits with Spot. There are better jobs out there with less stress and better management. Good luck!

Sorry to hear that your leaders are so chickenshit. ASANTS, but at my store before Modernization you couldn’t be written up for hearsay, but at this point, who knows? Sounds like they are grasping at straws for a reason to write you up and performance you out. My advice is to start looking for a new job and get out before they term you, especially if you do not have benefits with Spot. There are better jobs out there with less stress and better management. Good luck!

I've never been fired from a job. I know this is probably a stupid question but what is the benefit of quitting before they can fire you?

I've never been fired from a job. I know this is probably a stupid question but what is the benefit of quitting before they can fire you?
It’s not a stupid question. It’s good to find a new job first and be able to choose when you leave instead of having that decision made for you and be thrown into the job market suddenly and unprepared. You won’t have to be without a paycheck for the time between your term date and and the date that you find a new job, which might take a while. It’s better to have a new job to walk right into, either by quitting Spot or by working both jobs until they term you. You can be choosier about finding a new job because you don’t have to take the first thing that comes along out of desperation, and when you are asked why you left your last job in interviews you can be perfectly honest and don’t need to say that you were fired, because you weren’t. For someone being performanced out, the last choice you have is leaving on your own or being termed, so it’s best to set yourself up for success elsewhere and move on on your own terms. Just my 2 cents.

Important distinction, only quit before they can fire you if you have other work. It's definitely good advice to go ahead and start looking, and leave if you find something, but if you can't find anything else, it's probably best to get fired.

All states are different, so check your individual state's rules, but getting fired, even performanced out, doesn't preclude you from getting unemployment. Only quitting does that for certain. My state has some very employer-friendly unemployment laws, and unless you're fired for misconduct (which includes failing drug tests, refusing to do your job [which has to be documented by the employer 3 separate times within 12 months], verbally/physically assaulting someone, or getting arrested for a drug charge, among others), you are still eligible for unemployment for a reduced amount of time. (3 months instead of 5 in my state).

A lot of people think that only laid off people get unemployment, and that may be true in some states, I guess. But just being performanced out and not any sort of refusal to follow directions or something obviously bad like a fight doesn't disqualify you in some states.

Some employers pre-screen applications for key responses before reviewing the actual application to automatically weed some out. For some employers their application has weed out questions like "have you been fired/let go from a previous employer within the past X years or asked to resign in lieu of termination" or "have you ever been convicted of a felony?". If you are terminated you have to answer yes on future job applications which might get you automatically turned down for positions at another company you are highly qualified for. If you do look for another job, be VERY careful not to let anyone at Target know at all until you put in your notice. Certain states also have very stringent unemployment laws. I had a job where they heard I might have applied for another job, found something to terminate me for, and I have been turned down for jobs before my application was fully reviewed due to answering yes for that question about termination. There have been a few places besides Target I interviewed at who asked why I was terminated, told them, and they moved on like it wasn't a big deal, but it's tough to get past that screening question.

So I got written up for hear say and put on a final yesterday. They said on my day off two team members overheard me tell another team member how to do something and that's considered working off the clock. Is that legal just off here say? And a final?!

Whether or not it is "legal" depends on your state, but if your state has at will employment, it is legal unless you can prove they did it because of a protected class reason (religion, race, ethnicity, etc.) Not you think but can prove.

Legally, the company is subject to some very steep fines if you contribute to the business and they do not pay you for that time. (This is why a lot of places don't allow you to wait around after your shift or arrive too early.) Most leaders would not discipline for this, but there may have been an incident at another location or in that leader's previous employment that leads them to be strict.

Don't answer work questions off the clock unless it is a leader, then submit a punch correction for that time.

On your day off , you went to the store to shop and were talking to TMs.
Fight this , deny this. Tell them you were there to shop, and talked to the employees. Don’t take this lying down, please.
I am and I'm trying but it seems like somehow they think they are in the right. I asked them "how was I giving direction or advice to another team member, when neither one of us was in the clock"? We were talking. I was off and so was this other employee.

I am and I'm trying but it seems like somehow they think they are in the right. I asked them "how was I giving direction or advice to another team member, when neither one of us was in the clock"? We were talking. I was off and so was this other employee.
I don’t see how you can be written up for talking when you were both off the clock.

Yep that was my point. He kept saying u gave direction to someone while off the clock. BUT SHE WAS OFF THE CLOCK AS WELL! We were shopping!
Were you talking about work? Or just talking. Even if you were both of the clock and talking about work and you were giving her direction about work, or describing your work then it can be considered working off the clock. I am sorry you are going through this. I talk to people off the clock all the time and who work at other stores. But if they are trying to find a reason to get rid of you, it is a reason especially if you were the one causing her to work off the clock (you describing or telling something that she does not know). Because working off the clock is a no-no, being 'trained' on your time off is what it could be seen as (for her). But really it is stupid, the countless breaks we all work through and denied breaks is a much bigger deal but they are just trying to build a case against you.

I once worked for a SrTL and a fellow PA who worked off the clock for an hour straight pushing milk and produce. The ETL knew about it and didn’t even write them up. Meanwhile, this same ETL wrote someone up on the team for not pushing enough frozen during his shift. Bottom line, if Target wants you gone they will use any ticky tack excuse they can to push you out the door. They can and DO bend rules for people they like or don’t like.

I once worked for a SrTL and a fellow PA who worked off the clock for an hour straight pushing milk and produce. The ETL knew about it and didn’t even write them up. Meanwhile, this same ETL wrote someone up on the team for not pushing enough frozen during his shift. Bottom line, if Target wants you gone they will use any ticky tack excuse they can to push you out the door. They can and DO bend rules for people they like or don’t like.

Any reason why they would have done this (worked off the clock?)

Well, anyone who's hourly....you're getting fired for posting on this site apparently.

What an outrage this is. BUSINESS IS ROUGH LADIES AND GENTLEMEN. THERE ARE SHARKS OUT THERE

We have an ETL who frequently uses the reddit, and a TL that uses this board at my store. Sad to see they're now getting fired 😢

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back