Archived Anyone have a TL/GSA with an attendance /loafing issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok chill. First of all, I'm not keying in higher wages all willy-nilly. It's $1 and change higher than the starting rate. Secondly, I've definitely seen new hires negotiate a higher starting pay. It's all about the justification and the extra responsibilities they are expected to take on. The company model for GSAs is basically someone who can train new TMs and cover breaks/lunches for GSTLs. That's about it. They're not meant to be used to watch the front for an entire shift, send out equipment, order supplies, etc. However that's what I expect from MY GSAs. It's completely fair to other workcenters because I'm asking more from my GSAs than what's in their job description so I'm paying them more. If there are TMs in other departments that are taking on more responsibilities without higher pay, then that's an issue to take up with their ETL. Not my problem. They're always free to switch to my department. I'd welcome the extra hands.
What the company model is for GSA's and what is reality are two different things. If your store is low on GSTL's and GSA's they are often covering the front the whole time. I know the GSA's in my store do more than what is expected of them because of necessity.

Ok chill. First of all, I'm not keying in higher wages all willy-nilly. It's $1 and change higher than the starting rate. Secondly, I've definitely seen new hires negotiate a higher starting pay. It's all about the justification and the extra responsibilities they are expected to take on. The company model for GSAs is basically someone who can train new TMs and cover breaks/lunches for GSTLs. That's about it. They're not meant to be used to watch the front for an entire shift, send out equipment, order supplies, etc. However that's what I expect from MY GSAs. It's completely fair to other workcenters because I'm asking more from my GSAs than what's in their job description so I'm paying them more. If there are TMs in other departments that are taking on more responsibilities without higher pay, then that's an issue to take up with their ETL. Not my problem. They're always free to switch to my department. I'd welcome the extra hands.

I am "chill" enough to realize that changing up pay rules just because your store feels like doing it does not make it become real Target policy. What you and your STL did (i.e. non-TL external hire negotiations, keying in higher starting rates, etc) was not in compliance with company rules. While I am in support of people getting paid more than the current crappy wages, I prefer to make it happen without getting terminated for violating company policy. Anyway, I am just letting you know that it is not correct procedure and that there may be consequences. Ultimately, the choice is up to you. If you choose to continue to do what you have been doing, despite my warnings, then, hey, more power to you.

To the readers of this thread: doing stuff like this means putting your own job at risk. If you don't get caught, then all is fine. If you do get caught, then there is a chance that you may lose your job. The HR software that Target uses have record of who did what things so be aware that they can most likely find evidence to end your employment, even if you are a leader. Just be careful, TBR friends.

Last edited:
TL;DR - LearningTree risks getting fired for giving out micro-bumps in pay that amount to an extra 30 dollars a week but Gregg Steinhafel got to cash out to the tune of $61,000,000 when he resigned. 24K comedy gold right there, folks.

Right! I dislike how our pay system works for team members. At other jobs, you get to negotiate your starting pay and have higher performance-based increases. Our pay is ridiculously low (at least in my store's neighborhood). How can we compete when local businesses near my store pay at least $1 more? Meanwhile, execs are making a whole bunch of money, even when they leave the company.

Isn't expecting GSAs to do more than what's in their job description also not in compliance with company rules? That's the entire point on having TMs and TLs -- one does functions that the other does not. So when you're asking GSAs to do things that GSTLs would normally do, you're not in compliance with company rules/policy.

I think that most employers nowadays include "other duties as assigned" (or similar) to a job description so managers can assign and delegate other tasks to employees. As long as they are not making a GSA write up and deliver disciplinary action documents or performance reviews, then assigning them other tasks isn't really against policy. It sucks because it can get overwhelming but it doesn't violate anything.

Last edited:
I think that most employers nowadays include "other duties as assigned" (or similar) to a job description so managers can assign and delegate other tasks to employees. As long as they are not making a GSA write up and deliver disciplinary action documents or performance reviews, then assigning them other tasks isn't really against policy. It sucks because it can get overwhelming but it doesn't violate anything.
I get the whole "other duties as assigned," but let's be real here: GSA is really and truly a different role functionally and operationally. It's not like you have a pool of cashiers you can just make GSA for 10 minutes.

You've gone through a selection process and named someone this. In fact, GSA is a job you can apply for on Target Careers.
I think here they've kinda really stuck it to us with this job role-- ahem, "extra duties."

I get the whole "other duties as assigned," but let's be real here: GSA is really and truly a different role functionally and operationally. It's not like you have a pool of cashiers you can just make GSA for 10 minutes.

You've gone through a selection process and named someone this. In fact, GSA is a job you can apply for on Target Careers.
I think here they've kinda really stuck it to us with this job role-- ahem, "extra duties."

The question that I was asked was if giving GSAs more responsibilities was an issue. Employers cover their rear ends with the "other duties as assigned" thing so I answered no. That doesn't mean that I agree with people getting extra duties without pay.

Honestly, I think that certain leaders suck for delegating TMs with stuff that they, themselves, should be doing, especially when they know that there won't be additional pay for doing those extra duties.

Also, I don't disagree with LearningTree that people should get paid more. It's just that the method taken to increase the pay is too risky. I felt that I should inform the risk just in case people were not aware and thought that you could just key whatever you want into the system with no potential consequences. I don't want TBR people to get fired especially if I could have said something that might have warned them.

The newly promoted ass kisser unload stocking/salesfloor TL loafs all the time. WTF?

Right! I dislike how our pay system works for team members. At other jobs, you get to negotiate your starting pay and have higher performance-based increases. Our pay is ridiculously low (at least in my store's neighborhood). How can we compete when local businesses near my store pay at least $1 more? Meanwhile, execs are making a whole bunch of money, even when they leave the company.
Technically only PG40 and higher is eligible for experience pay....

I prefer to make it happen without getting terminated for violating company policy. Anyway, I am just letting you know that it is not correct procedure and that there may be consequences. .

To the readers of this thread: doing stuff like this means putting your own job at risk. If you don't get caught, then all is fine. If you do get caught, then there is a chance that you may lose your job. The HR software that Target uses have record of who did what things so be aware that they can most likely find evidence to end your employment, even if you are a leader. Just be careful, TBR friends.

My job is not at risk. Pay raises have to go up the chain to be approved. Anyone further up the chain could have stepped in and denied it. No one did and they put it through. No matter how much you spout HR policy at me, that doesn't change the fact that higher pay can be explained by additional work duties. I've had this conversation with my HRBP multiple times. Workday just makes it quicker to put into effect. There is no risk of "getting caught" since I'm not hiding anything. I'm fully transparent with what I'm doing and why. My STL is on board with what I'm doing. Any other ETL could do the same.

squalor: following the pay raise guidelines
baller: using the 549 account to buy $500 gift cards for your TMs every payday
scholar: carjacking the Brinks truck and giving each of your TMs a $10K bundle every payday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back