Archived Anyone have an intern in their store? What do they do in your store?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No interns at my store.
From another thread:
Fair warning, a TM in my store just tried to get into the Internship program. The STL and DTL had talked and from what it sounded like, our DTL was interested in getting her an interview for the program. She had my STL's support along the way as well as the ETL's support. She's going to college for Business Admin, but when it came time to sit down with the DTL, she was told she couldn't do the internship cause she worked with the company and it would require going through too many loop holes.

Maybe you'll be lucky, maybe not. If not, the next best thing you can do is apply for an ETL position post graduation.

Current Extended Intern

prim07, Dec 22, 2015

Over the years, my store has had 20 plus interns. Some are great, while others just never catch on. A couple of them have moved up to STL. They offer etl to almost all of them. The last few years, some of our interns lack any kind of actual work experience. This makes it hard for them to keep up!

They used to keep interns who had a year to graduate on as TLs, not extended intern. Much better idea on my opinion.

I want to be an intern and it really doesn't make sense that they would stop someone from being an intern because they're a TM. If anything, they WANT current employees. I'm a PA and the Sr. TL and ETL both told me they prefer current employees over newbies.

I've heard of interns in the past but haven't actually seen any yet

Back when my store was, like, cool and stuff, there was a year when we had 3 or 4 interns at the same time, and I think all of them stayed on as extended interns. At least 2 of them were hired as ETLs in the district after they graduated.

We get a new intern EVERY year. One is now our etl-ge after graduating business school and being the etl-sl at another store. One became etl-log at another store and left the company within 6months after. I will miss him, he was awesome. Another is etl-something at another store in the district-we see him at inventory every year or so. One didn't graduate business school-no idea what happened to her. Waiting to see who we get this year. Most of them are just dumb pod-people. Young, cute, energetic pod people.

We've had a bunch. They're an extra ETL basically, doing whatever it is ETLs do. We had one that I LOVED but we had no ETL openings at the time so she went to a neighboring store in our district. Others I didn't really know too well because they kinda come and go.

The interns get picked in the middle of spring semester then after that the stores that they'll go to get chosen on how "green" they are by a Group HRBP. After the stores get chosen then they take the interns and divide them up between the stores chosen in the district. The interns can be anything from logistics to AP to Operations ETL interns. The amount of interns your district chooses depends on how much money your district has to spend because the payroll hours don't come from the store you're at and because the Intern pay is VERY nice.

I want to be an intern and it really doesn't make sense that they would stop someone from being an intern because they're a TM. If anything, they WANT current employees. I'm a PA and the Sr. TL and ETL both told me they prefer current employees over newbies.
I was told by an ETL when I first started working for Spot that I couldn't be an intern because I was already working for the company. He said that the internship was a tool for recruiting outside talent. I decided to talk to my STL instead and show her that I wanted to continue my development with spot and that I felt like the internship was the best option. She made some calls and sent a few emails and then the whole process started.

I've heard of interns in the past but haven't actually seen any yet
You won't see any interns until this summer and only if any were chosen for your store. Out of the 7 stores in my district only 2 stores were chosen.

I was told by an ETL when I first started working for Spot that I couldn't be an intern because I was already working for the company. He said that the internship was a tool for recruiting outside talent. I decided to talk to my STL instead and show her that I wanted to continue my development with spot and that I felt like the internship was the best option. She made some calls and sent a few emails and then the whole process started.
We have had at least 5 team members from my store become interns.

We have had at least 5 team members from my store become interns.
That sounds lyk a district manager and store that believes in internal promotions!! It was like pullin teeth and having to follow up on my own for me.

That sounds lyk a district manager and store that believes in internal promotions!! It was like pullin teeth and having to follow up on my own for me.
So would you say I should go for the normal ETL program as opposed to the internship?

So would you say I should go for the normal ETL program as opposed to the internship?
I would say go for the internship because that's going to give you a lot of experience. But if the circumstances don't match up to where you can do it definitely apply for ETL the normal way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back