Archived Anyone not feel safe at their store.

Do you feel safe in your stores area

• Yes

Votes: 32 76.2%
  • No

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just last night their was a shooting just inside my store's parking garage. This is the second shooting this year on store property. There have also been a brawl, and a few small fist fights.
My so team has had two knives pulled on them this year. On top of that the garage has become a drug shooting gallery, it's not uncommon to find used needles.
The area around the store has always been a little rough, but things have really gotten out of hand these days. I am just really starting to not feel safe in the area, especially since I start early in the morning; aggressive bums are also a problem.

Just don't get into shady shit and you should be fine. Gotta realize all these shootings/attacks are drug/gang related, they aren't just shooting random people leaving the store. I wouldn't sweat it man. If it really bothers you, park closer to the door, or carry a weapon if you can.

Last edited:
Sorry you have to deal with that,our store is super safe but we are in a great area.

My store is in a tough area with a lot of scammers. It's not safe but I'm from the area I work in (don't live there now) so I know how to operate here.

Just last night their was a shooting just inside my store's parking garage. This is the second shooting this year on store property. There have also been a brawl, and a few small fist fights.
My so team has had two knives pulled on them this year. On top of that the garage has become a drug shooting gallery, it's not uncommon to find used needles.
The area around the store has always been a little rough, but things have really gotten out of hand these days. I am just really starting to not feel safe in the area, especially since I start early in the morning; aggressive bums are also a problem.

You can always transfer. Target has some urban targets in bad areas but most of them are out in the suburbs where the key demographic is.

My store is in a good area of town. However, you can drive a couple of miles and it gets shady real quick. I would say that I feel safe 99.9% of the time .

We got broken into overnight yesterday. We have had gun threats to TMs downstairs in the parking garage but no actual shootings. We're pretty high volume and in a central location in a big city, however.

In an urban area with major drug and homeless issues which frequently carries over into the store. At night, AP is typically occupied with watching out for drug usage / loitering and locks up the restrooms as soon as *bucks closes at night - local laws state restrooms only have to be open if we are serving so they close with the *bucks. We routinely have people banging on the outside doors after hours even until 3am and ignore it. Typically, it is some drunk that has left his car in the garage and is demanding we let him in. We ignore but if they continue an ETL or TL will let them know through the intercom to phone the number on their claim ticket. The garage is owned/operated by the building and staffed 24/7 so it's pretty much safe and closes at the same time as the store. Receiving / vendor docks are in a dark, narrow alley and covered with cameras so we see all sorts of "business" on a nightly basis happening in that area. Frequently, someone will reach through the dock between the truck and wall - we just sharply yell at them to back the F off and they always go away.

The front stoop is normally occupied after hours by homeless setting up a nightly sleep camp but they are harmless but do leave quite a mess when they leave around 4/5 in the morning. Do I feel safe in the store? For the most part, yes. However, there is one o/n TL that will disarm then sneak out the front or into the garage for a smoke break whenever he feels like it and that always makes me slightly nervous: if someone were to grab him and try to force us to open up (which has happened at other o/n businesses in the immediate area) then it could cause a serious situation. As horrible as it may sound, if that were to happen we've all said we would walk away. Much better to risk one than to allow the entire crew be affected. And yes, complaints have been made but he is buddy-buddy with folks at the store, etc etc so nothing ever happens. We've given up on filing complaints.

In general, the crime that occurs here and at other urban locations is typically drug-related; most will not attempt anything in such a high-profile area (lighting, cameras, multiple employees, etc etc). If the cameras show something shady in the alley we take a look - if it is Nighttime Nellie with her John getting a $5 handy we shake our head, giggle then ignore it. If it's something a bit more nefarious we make a bit of noise with the Crown horns, etc which usually causes them to move along.

Again, other than Clueless Cletus stepping outside there's really nothing we become too concerned with: just keep our eyes and ears open a bit. We keep to ourselves and our Spot work and they keep to themselves with their ... whatever work. I imagine it would be the same at most urban locales.

Someone got murdered in a parking lot in my group.

So.

I shouldn't feel safe.

But I do.

Location, location location. I'm in suburbia now but worked an inner city Spot where the homeless alcoholics showed up when mouthwash went clearance. Homeless eventually killed my roommate. Bulldoze every camp. Got no use.

We keep to ourselves and our Spot work and they keep to themselves with their ... whatever work.
If the criminal element ever got a look at some of the folks on our ON crew they'd move out of the area.
New ETL was going ON with logistics one evening & was agape at the various representations of homo sapien that strolled in to the time clock.

If the criminal element ever got a look at some of the folks on our ON crew they'd move out of the area.
New ETL was going ON with logistics one evening & was agape at the various representations of homo sapien that strolled in to the time clock.
Ha! It's a completely different universe on the o/n, that's for sure. Smells different too :confused:

Our store is a little questionable. At our store often get homeless people sleeping on our front benches. We have a high risk of theft in the store. I do often have to keep a close eye because there are some questionable people that walk around but generally the store is safe

Our store is in suburbia, but it's nice, because it's not in a huge shopping center, it's like 5 minutes out of town and there's nothing really around, so theft is low and I've never seen a homeless person at our store either.

Careful with this info. I know what store you're at now.

Sorry to hear that. Think it is the store I saw on local news this morning. I have shopped there a few times when being in the area. Recall more visible AP than my burb store. There are lots of expensive housing nearby but also a bad element on the streets in the area too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back