Archived Anything buy one, get one 50% OFF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have so many guests say "Oh, those shoes/shirts/pants/dresses/etc are supposed to be 50% off." I have realized now that they are seeing the above verbiage and not just a sign that says 50% off. I am so sick of this. Can people not read?
Spot should really make the font larger or the sign itself larger or something.
Am I supposed to vibe every guest who is "confused" about the sign? I still have a 401K account with Spot and don't really want to give away the company.
Also, I used to not care so much if a coupon was completely valid or not but lately I've started cracking down. Guests are getting away with WAY TOO much lately. "Oh, you thought that printer was 9.99 and not 99.99, oh, ok, let me adjust that for you." <<<Exaggeration, but you get what I mean! We can't just give it all away. Geez.

Had a lady last week who thought if you bought one bag of coffee you get a 4 pack of coffee drinks free. Yeah, right. Even after we said you had to buy 2 packs of coffee, she still insisted it was one. Walkied back to market and sure nuff the sign said you had to buy two. Ugh. People.
A lady today thought if you bought one Pampers @ 34.99 you got a 10.00 giftcard. Yeah, right. There wouldn't be any left on the shelves. Read people!!!

I'll still take being labeled "not bold enough" when dealing with guest challenges, over dealing with pampers on gift card and corporate aggressively pushing FF in the circular.

Backroom is still waking up in cold sweats and I'm pretty certain we still have some sitting in guest service.

Oh, and Frozen merchandise. Fuck Frozen merchandise.

"Seasonal, you have calls on 80, 81 and 82. 80 and 81 are looking to have Frozen backpacks put on hold. 82 is looking for an Elsa doll."

That wasn't on topic, but I'm so tired of fielding calls for electronics because they're sick of hearing calls for that crap and are outright refusing to take the calls.

At guest service, I get a lot of guests wandering up to me with their receipts claiming that they were supposed to get a five or ten dollar gift card with something ... sure enough, they've only bought one when they had to buy two or three. The jerks will mutter something under their breath like "well, that's not how I read the sign." WTF??? Nothing pisses me off more than that passive-aggressive customer bullshit. If you level with me, I am more likely to give you what you want to vibe with you, but if you are going to be disrespectful and immature, then screw you.

We has a flood of guests that got mad when they didn't get their $5 gift card with a $25 bts purchase because they didn't have the coupon.

Isn't that for next week? We had signs up but they took them all down mid-morning Sunday.

We has a flood of guests that got mad when they didn't get their $5 gift card with a $25 bts purchase because they didn't have the coupon.

Isn't that for next week? We had signs up but they took them all down mid-morning Sunday.
I think both. We had signs for last week and have them for next as well. Unless no one caught it all last week...

If the guest asks and they don't have the coupon, we just scan one out of the ad. We can't offer it to them if they don't ask, but we can definitely make it right in that case.

My favorite happened last week. I had a guest come through my line with two shirts from ready to wear. They both rang up $10.

Guest: umm, those shirts are supposed to be $3.27.
Me: uhh, no
Guest: yes, the sign is right there...they say 3.27
Me: uhh, no.
Guest: go look at the sign, it says 3.27 or $10 each.
(We walk over to the sign)
Me: ma'am, that says 3 for $27 or $10 each.
Guest: well, that sign isn't very clear.
Me: *just stares blankly at her*

I had a guest come through my line today. She had 4 movies, 3 were $5, 1 was $10. She said the 4th one was supposed to be free (as per the sign on the display near the jewelry counter). I scanned one of her $5 movies and it came up for free. I told her that the $10 one was probably just stuck there by someone and was supposed to be on the endcap (near the express lanes) that has $10 tags all over it. I even pointed to it. She still wasn't buying it. I wanted to say "Look, lady, if you can find a $5 tag that says We're the Millers on it, then I'll give it to you for free, otherwise shut the hell up!" She was still insistent that it was supposed to be free. I went up to the service desk. The girl up there said I should give it to her for $5 and zero out another $5 one. Well, I just wasn't in that giving of a mood so I told the lady that I could take $5 off of the $10 movie. She said ok, but then when I told her the total she said that it still wasn't right. I tried to clarify AGAIN that she had a $10 movie! I asked her if she wanted to go pick out a 4th $5 movie to get the free one and she said no. Why the hell would you say NO to a free movie. Idiot. She finally paid and walked back to the display...I guess to double check.
IDK, but this really pissed me off. :mad: I'm sick of the guest acting stupid and getting whatever price they want.
The lady behind her said (after the lady had walked away) that she thought we were being generous by giving her half off of the $10 movie. Said she'd worked in retail management for years.
I just don't know how to get through to some people that OTHER GUESTS walk through the store and lay crap down ALL OVER THE PLACE!! Since when do you get to name your price at Walmart, Kohl's or Kmart, etc. ????
Ugh.

People never notice the "buy one get one" at my store. If sandals are bogo 50, they're telling the cashier that all shoes are 50 off. Then they don't understand when you can't mix bogo deals. Like once, skirts and shorts were bogo, but you had to buy two skirts or two shorts. That was part of the fine print, though so I didn't judge too harshly for that confusion. But the time there was mix and match c9 bogo across men and women, and then a separate one across boys and girls and the signs called it mix and match c9 or something, mass confusion.

I had a guest come through my line today. She had 4 movies, 3 were $5, 1 was $10. She said the 4th one was supposed to be free (as per the sign on the display near the jewelry counter). I scanned one of her $5 movies and it came up for free. I told her that the $10 one was probably just stuck there by someone and was supposed to be on the endcap (near the express lanes) that has $10 tags all over it. I even pointed to it. She still wasn't buying it.

That's when you politely inform her of that wonderful piece of information Spot had on every piece of BOGO signage.

"Lowest priced is free". I don't think I've seen a single BOGO sign, in the year I've been with Spot, without that language.

What I hate most is softlines 7x11s. Some moron on ad set always puts a double sided ad up when it's supposed to be a single sided ad, and invariably the other side of the table is twice as expensive. This is never caught during audits, only by some poor cashier.

Our bts coupon was weeks ago. The last round of schools start on Monday.... Please tell me we won't have another round of that coupon.

My favorite happened last week. I had a guest come through my line with two shirts from ready to wear. They both rang up $10.

Should've directed her to optical

Should've directed her to optical

If only more stores had an optical...

If the guest asks and they don't have the coupon, we just scan one out of the ad. We can't offer it to them if they don't ask, but we can definitely make it right in that case.

We're supposed to remember to scan it out of the ad without them having to ask us. We even photocopy the coupons out of the ads every week and keep them next to each register to do so.

Though I think our store has us do a lot of things other stores wouldn't do in regards to guest service.

I don't call over the GSTL unless I absolutely have to, and I certainly don't call over a ETL unless necessary because if I do so they're going to override company policy to make the guest happy, so I just do that myself without having them come over and reprimand me for not making it right for the guest. No receipt for that return? Doesn't matter that you passed the $70 limit $500 ago, the GSTL just gives me the daily override code at the start of my shift and I use it all damn day to do returns that official Spot policy would never condone.

I also can't remember the last time I had to ask for a Supervisor Override and had the GSTL do more than walkover, enter their # and then walk away. They don't ask why, they don't question me, it just bugs me that I have to hold up the guest and make myself look like a peon in front of the guest everytime I need something done that I know exactly how to do but am not technically allowed to do as far as the computer is concerned but am allowed to do in the eyes of my direct supervisors.

Last edited:
Had a lady last week who thought if you bought one bag of coffee you get a 4 pack of coffee drinks free. Yeah, right. Even after we said you had to buy 2 packs of coffee, she still insisted it was one. Walkied back to market and sure nuff the sign said you had to buy two. Ugh. People.
A lady today thought if you bought one Pampers @ 34.99 you got a 10.00 giftcard. Yeah, right. There wouldn't be any left on the shelves. Read people!!!
Its partly Target's fault the way their signs read...for example, in large red letters it will say "FREE GIFT CARD" and then below it in really tiny letters it will say "when you buy 2" so I can see how someone in a hurry would not see the "when you buy 2" part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back