Anything I should know about Cashiering?

Had a bad experience today cause I didn't know how to ring up a EBT card, had a guest say I was too slow and got really aggravated with me. Most I got from the training was a 5-minute crash course, so I'm wondering if there's anything else I should know that was either covered very briefly or not at all.

Remember food safety. Don't pack chemicals and food items together. Those food items also include pet foods, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc. If it goes in your mouth, don't put it with chemicals is a pretty good rule of thumb. Clothing should be bagged separately to avoid snags and staining from any other items. Learn how Target Circle. Target earnings, and the Redcards (debit and credit) work and be able to explain it well and quickly. If a guest wants to know more, call a lead or other tm over if you have a line or turn off your light and spend a few minutes explaining/walking them through it. Between guests, learn your touchscreen. Know what's there. I laughed today when I asked for a carryout using the touchscreen and the person at the front came over and said "Since when is that a thing?? I had no idea!!!" It's been there since the touchscreen has been there. If a guest complains, apologize and tell them that you just started cashiering and appreciate their patience. It actually works.

Ebt aka snap is a card swiped by the guest. You don't have to do anything. If it is the guest's first time using it, they might be a little confused by their options. The food part of the card is called snap on our pin pad. Sometimes a guest will ask you to put in a specific amount. Some people have cash benefits (formerly known as welfare) which is why there is a cash option.

WIC is super easy. The guest swipes their card. You will have to press next on your screen a couple times.

If someone writes a check, they have to fill it out. You process it by pressing check, follow the instructions, and feed it through the check reader face down. Formula checks are processed by hitting rebate check and following the instructions.

If you need help, turn on the blinking light. If you turn the switch up to turn the light on, you would turn it down to make it blink or vice versa.

At some point someone might try to scam you by telling you they have a "cash card". They will tell you to press cash. DO NOT do this. Only press cash when given actual cash.

Watch guests that have a their partner that takes the cart of stuff to the car while the purchaser partner runs their card (it doesn't go through and the cart person is already gone with the scanned merchandise back (they usually act like they have non idea of this plan and g\get your attention in them trying to get the card to go through while the other person is gone while they their card multiple times.

Ebt aka snap is a card swiped by the guest. You don't have to do anything. If it is the guest's first time using it, they might be a little confused by their options. The food part of the card is called snap on our pin pad. Sometimes a guest will ask you to put in a specific amount. Some people have cash benefits (formerly known as welfare) which is why there is a cash option.

WIC is super easy. The guest swipes their card. You will have to press next on your screen a couple times.

If someone writes a check, they have to fill it out. You process it by pressing check, follow the instructions, and feed it through the check reader face down. Formula checks are processed by hitting rebate check and following the instructions.

If you need help, turn on the blinking light. If you turn the switch up to turn the light on, you would turn it down to make it blink or vice versa.

At some point someone might try to scam you by telling you they have a "cash card". They will tell you to press cash. DO NOT do this. Only press cash when given actual cash.

Is there an option to select certain items for EBT? I know it's usually automatic but is there one? It's been awhile since I've done it.

The most important thing to know about cashiering is that you should avoid it like the COVID-Ebola-HIV-H1N1-Zika hybrid plague. To cashier on purpose is the retail equivalent of needlesticking yourself on purpose at a BSL-4 lab. Yes, you may be “cross-trained” but at the end of the day you are still dead

The most important thing to know about cashiering is that you should avoid it like the COVID-Ebola-HIV-H1N1-Zika hybrid plague. To cashier on purpose is the retail equivalent of needlesticking yourself on purpose at a BSL-4 lab. Yes, you may be “cross-trained” but at the end of the day you are still dead
Was a cashier/ service desk 10 years. Some times it wasn’t too bad. I’m drive up now and I wouldn’t go back to cashiering.

Back