Archived AP question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bottom line, I walk up to the guest, ask if it's a service animal. If they say yes, I leave then alone. If they say no, I ask them to remove the pet. It's not the end if the world if they lie, I did my due diligence

Also in my store any team member can say anything. If the guest refuses, THEN call ap

Food safety and the law trumps a person's comfort every time. the people who have legit service animals wont put their animal on the counter or let the animal sniff the food (since they are trained) I just think it is very selfish for a person to lie just so they can take their pet into the store with them. But like I say if the animal is behaved and not doing anything that could violate food safety laws I don't care.

Because they are morains.

morans.jpg

This Bullshit these fakers pull is a health and safety issue. the people who want their dog with them makes it harder for real legit people with disabilities. One day I am just going to call the health department and report Target.

This Bullshit these fakers pull is a health and safety issue. the people who want their dog with them makes it harder for real legit people with disabilities. One day I am just going to call the health department and report Target.
Health department isn't going to do anything. ADA trumps that pretty much everytime.

Is it true that you can no longer approach a guest with a dog (Super Target) and tell them to leave?

I just finished business college for AP and I have read that any animal can be trained as a service animal. As a result, if a guest states the animAl is a service animal...the animal stays.

I've read and been told I can still ask, but if the guest says their bird, monkey or cat is a service animal (seen it for combat vets)....the animal stays.

What @Retail Girl said is how we were trained in our group. If we question whether or not the animal is a service animal we can ask. If the Guest says yes, then we let it go. No, and we can ask that guest to leave. We really only asked if we saw a foreseeable problem; kids with a dog, animal shitting all over the place, etc.

Segway - who's cleaned up poop in the store? Animal or human? I'm sure there is a separate thread for that conversation.

Parrot poop. Lane 6. A panicked cashier ran to guest service when they couldn't find the Gstl within, literally, an hour after I finished hazmat training.

Parrot poop. Lane 6. A panicked cashier ran to guest service when they couldn't find the Gstl within, literally, an hour after I finished hazmat training.

But did it swear at you?

I knew goth kids who carried their rats around with them all the time.
I wonder if you get a rat designated as a service animal?

But did it swear at you?

I knew goth kids who carried their rats around with them all the time.
I wonder if you get a rat designated as a service animal?

I used to live in a county of California that you could, I don't know about my current one...

The aformentioned parrot doesn't talk much actually, and is quite nice. The guest is usually pretty agreeable to letting the cashiers take pictures with it if it is slow and they don't have somewhere to be.

Just saw this... this is probably giving away what store I work at but we have a local that seriously has a parrot that is a companion animal. I've also had to clean the only time it has messed in the store :(

I've seen a guy with a parrot walk into a grocery store when I was visiting South Florida a while back.

It's not our job to be animal control at Target. The STL, GSTL, or AP should handle this drama.
When I see a guest with a dog, I usually think it's a seeing eye dog or helper dog and I'm not going to go up to a blind person and say "hey can I see your permit that allows you to have a dog help you get around". It's just bad taste. Blind people already have enough drama to deal with in their lives. You badgering them or disturbing them isn't going to help.
Jack, I agree 100%.

this one old woman has a little dog on a regular leash and no service animal harness. the dog always looks scared to be near people and looks like it will pee or poop because of it. I am all for the ADA and think it is great service animals are allowed special access but they need to make it a requirement for a real service animal to wear a special harness given out by a legit agency that trains service/comfort animals, and make the penalties even higher for lying about having a service animal.

If I got bit by a fake service dog I'd be saying to the owner "that's a service dog?! Your full of shit!" I don't care if it gets me fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back