Archived AP - Software Upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyAP

Go To Six
Any fellow AP-heads know anything specific about the software upgrade?
We had an urgent news to sign out of our stations at close tonight because it was going to happen overnight, but that's the first I'd heard of it.

Since I doubt the technological capabilities of my peer, I'm definitely hoping I can get more insight here into what is involved on the software side of the upgrade.

Hmm, I remember seeing something about not having documents saved on desktops seeing as they could be lost with an update. I know company wide they are hoping to upgrade all TVS stores to Security Center 5.2 by July or the end of the summer with some markets already having the upgrade.

Last edited:
haha we have everything saved to our desktop. I didn't hear anything about it and I worked all weekend, but we already have security center. When we upgraded security center, our computers were still logged in and "ctr-alt-del" locked and it still worked and nothing on desktop got deleted.

FYI other then a few "neat" new features it sucks. Limits number of cameras to 9 at a time on each monitor, and slower then molasses. As an example lets say I need to pull up another camera so I drag one over, it will take anywhere from 3-8 seconds to load. (for all you non-ap folks, 3 seconds is feels like an eternity when your watching someone).
When reviewing footage it sometimes stops and "buffers" Seriously, buffering!!!! You can just tell it eats up the resources, everything takes longer besides it adds about 3 or 4 extra mouse clicks to do any given function. Don't get me started on naming cameras. Pre-defined camera names that you can select from, Half our cameras now have names that no longer make sense. Food ave prep area. is now Freight elevator 1 and food ave tables is Front Lanes #5 because the only food ave camera name is for the POS. Don't worry, we sent it up saying we need to be able to name our cameras. They sent back a nicely worded "what do you know" email.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it's forbidden to use external drives. ... Not that that's stopping us, but ... yeah.
Checked Monday, desktop was fine.
Software is horrendous but desktop is fine.

Why don't you just reacquisition a set of Blank CD's & Cases, and Sharpies, and make backups?

I can say though, that all of the stores in our district have Western Digital External Drives. They work really well, too..

I said, that's not stopping us, in reference to the fact that we do have a WD External Drive. ... it's one of the most screwball 'rules' on the books. I'd think there would be more emphasis on evidence retention, multiple locations of backup ... but no matter.

I played a little bit with the software monday, and given that I have to work on a multiple-store internal-creditfraud incident ... i'll be working with it a lot tomorrow.
Basically it seems to have combined Config/Archive/Live under one big software umbrella. The language for the different parts (layouts are tasks), (incidents are basically sections of video you send to your ap minions), etc. are a little weird to deal with. It seems to be damn hard to find a system of 'reviewing on live surveillance' with this. The old config/review widget isnt there and it seems like it is a little fickle in switching between its archive portion and its live 'now monitoring' portion. ... alarms are easier to set up but i havent done anything too 'config-ish' with it either.

sweet lord the video export is a pain in the ass.
.... sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back