Archived AP TMs: Tips for Decreasing Shortage at Self-Checkouts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing, cameras.

My APTL installed cameras that show your face on a monitor saying "MONITORED"
Receipt checks are a good way to also see.

As for SCO tms, the most they can do is BOB and LISA and watch for any unscanned items being put away, alert AP to any possible theft issues.

One thing, cameras.

As for SCO tms, the most they can do is BOB and LISA and watch for any unscanned items being put away, alert AP to any possible theft issues.
I remember one time a couple of weeks ago, a guest scanned their items, and then left the store right away. I thought that the guest was going to return their cart to the entrance where they are placed for the convenience of our guests, but they just simply left. No AP team member was checking receipts at the exits, so he made it out rather easily before I could call AP on my walkie. It's frustrating that he got away, but I guess that I did all I could in that situation and if they come back, AP will be carefully monitoring him.

One thing, cameras.

A former APTL at my store told me those cameras were just for show, and that the ceiling bubble cameras were the ones actually recording. It came up after I had a guest using one as a mirror to touch up her makeup, and I had asked the APTL how he'd enjoyed the unusual entertainment.

Look you can try anything you want, nothing will work if you're SCO ™ isn't paying attention. I don't get into a 20 minute convo with every guest, but I say hi to every single one. That way they know I'm present if they need me, but also that I'm watching.

Don't stand still. Walk up and down the row, making yourself visible for the reasons I just mentioned. Glance at the screen, and make sure the total looks roughly accurate for items in cart. You don't need to whip out your calculator, but if they have a Dyson, and their total is $15, something's not right.

BOB and LISA: When I see BOB I walk up to the guest and say "just an FYI, you can use the hand scanner for that *insert big item*". legit guests appreciate the tip, scammers know I'm watching them.

Coupons: DEAR LORD LOOK AT THE COUPONS!!!! Sco stupidly doesn't show a list of coupons used anymore. Tape over the coupon slot, and have all cashiers verify coupons as they would at a regular lane, and then take the coupons and deposit them at the nearest lane.

Try to avoid getting in an extended convo with one guest about an issue-- scammers will strike while you're not watching. I try to glance around as I'm talking to a guest to keep my eyes peeled, but you can only do so much. To this end, don't leave SCO unattended, ever.

If I see specific items not scanned and placed in the bag, I flat out ask if they’re going to be purchasing X items because it’s not popping up on the screen and I will gladly take it back if they didn’t want it.

I hold the items and let AP TMs know immediately if they’re around otherwise I jot it down in the log book.

Sometimes limiting loss is the best SCO people can do with or without AP support, and that’s much more appreciated than expanding it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back